Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my new 1000rr(all black), just curious if anyone has or knows of any other way to reverse the shifter, (race shift, 1-up-5-down), other than the entire rear sets package?

I was ay one of the local bike shops and some mechanics and friends there said I could probably ahve someone machine a piece to make it work.

Should I wait and give companies time to develop something or just buy the rear sets with the shifter kit?

Thanks

·
Registered
184 Posts
You may not have to but the entire set. If I am correct, Vortex sells individual parts of their rear-sets. I think you can just buy the linkage that is able to flip.

I'm not sure, but it may be possible if it works with the stock stuff, but on the good side, if you buy the full set they look way better than stock.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Had compared the RR setup to other bikes out of curiousity. The linkage runs differently so dont be suprised if you do have to buy a full setup.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey guys you need to get rear sets to reverse the shift I got vortex they are alright but not what I expected. You cant buy the linkage from vortex cus in order for it to work the shifter need to be on the peg, and on the RR its separate...hope that makes sense. But yeah we got dicked with that one.

If I had to do it over I would have spent more moeny and got something a little better like moriwaki.

but if you find a way let us know

·
Registered
40 Posts
fooseRR said:
Hey guys you need to get rear sets to reverse the shift I got vortex they are alright but not what I expected.
I'm entertaining the thought of Vortex shifters. What exactly about them dissapoints?

I think the top-of-the-line are the Sato and Moriwaki, but they're 5 bills.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Don't get me worng they are better then the stock by a mile and work great, but I though they would use only one shift rode like the moriwaki and not stick out as much as they do. Its just that I didn't really look into them that much cus they where the only ones out at the time and I wanted them for the reverse shift before I got my RR cus all I have ever used for years is the reverse shift and didn't want to think about shifting when breaking it in the rignt way...HARD. Anyway, they are just under 300 from http://www.indysuperbike.com/customer/product.php?productid=89197&cat=14390&page=1

and see on the pic how it shows only one shift rod instead on going to the pivot point and then up to the the shift arm.

later

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think both the Sato and Moriwaki's have to use 2 rods to achieve reverse shifting. Looking at BVH's website, I see two pics of the Mori's, one setup using 1 rod, and the 2nd using 2.

http://www.bigvalleyhonda.com/racing/Moriwaki_Products/CBR1000RR_04/CBR1000RR-Rearset-Shift-Rac.jpg

The one rod setup doesn't look like it'd work for reverse shifting as the link rod would have to stand out from the frame even more.

That's why I'm pretty sure they went with the 2 rod setup.

http://www.bigvalleyhonda.com/racing/Moriwaki_Products/CBR1000RR_04/swingstep-left.jpg

Hmmm...BVH's Mori page isn't very clearly labeled.

I think they're calling the 1-rod link a 'Race Shift Proto' and 'Setup for Electric Shifter' while the 2-rod link isn't labeled at all. Maybe the 2-rod link is the electric shifter setup?

Anyway, does the Vortex 2-rod setup feel 'slop' free? Can you 'feel' the additional linkage?

·
Registered
22 Posts
yeah the shifting feels solid much more so then the stock, once you get them adjusted right.

Like I said overall they work great... but do you know when you expect one thing and get something different I guess that is all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.