Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
SV Racer
1 Posts
Huh? When did I say I wouldn't take any pictures?

Actually, I'm done discussing this with you guys, apparently my two years of use without fail mean nothing to the likes of you geniuses. :)

I will let the rotors speak for themselves in time, and if Mike can't convince you (those that have talked to him) then what chance do I have. I seriously doubt the discussion here about your dislike of the design will hamper his sales in anyway. ;)

Unfortunately I lost my ride for tomorrow so I will be unable to get my bike down to his shop to have the new ones fitted. Looks like it may be a few weeks now until I can manage the time to get the bike down to him. :(

RepsolGuy, I can't remember what it is exactly that makes these rotors illegal in the AMA, but I think it has something to do with the rotors needing to have a round edge.
That is not it at all. Wave rotors and petal rotors are perfectly legal in AMA.

·
SV Racer
1 Posts
All of the back and forth aside, Big Kahuna is a good guy without a doubt. I know for fact he would not try to mislead anyone at all.

I do not feel that these rotors would hold up in race or even advanced group Trackday conditions personally. They would cool entirely too quickly as well as heat up too quickly causing a rapid warp condition, IN MY OPINION.

I also know that the rotors would be legal for AMA competition. I just do not think anyone would use them.

·
MAD SCIENTIST
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The designer has been trying to solve numerous non existent problems and created some in the process.
Heat dissipation? why ? Front discs dont get hot anyway.
Ive measured my OEM discs as soon as Ive come off the track and cant get any hotter than 70 C. Front brakes are so over engineered and underused that they dont get hot. I mean HOT...for steel is like 1200 C
Resusit8 is right in saying that these discs will heat up and cool down very quickly, thats because theres not that much steel there to heat up. Youve got the same amount of energy going into the disc but theres less steel there to catch that heat. These discs will actually reach a higher peak temp than an OEM and then cool quicker.

A tangial or radial rivet split may deal with load better but geometrically doesnt accommodate the discs heat expansion as well as a circumferential split.

Pad life may not be effected by this spiral design but disc life would.
Ive calculated an OEM CBR1000RR 04 disc will still be over min thickness after 150,000km and one resurface grind at 75,000km. An OEM disc would outlast the bike.
Can any bling disc beat that.

·
PISS OFF!
738 Posts
All of the back and forth aside, Big Kahuna is a good guy without a doubt. I know for fact he would not try to mislead anyone at all.

I do not feel that these rotors would hold up in race or even advanced group Trackday conditions personally. They would cool entirely too quickly as well as heat up too quickly causing a rapid warp condition, IN MY OPINION.

I also know that the rotors would be legal for AMA competition. I just do not think anyone would use them.
I have no doubt, especially if you say so resuscit8u.

But I haven't been questioning Big Kahuna's integrity, but voicing only my opinions of the CST rotors from the original post that requested such an opinion, and did that BEFORE Big Kahuna joined this thread and then went off like a roman candle. Therefore there is no grounds for him to take anything I have said as personal. He chose to jump into the middle of it.

Bottom line is, all these snake oil salesman (Mike CSTrotors) have to have one or 2 on each forum to cheerlead their product for them, they can't do it themselves as it would be obvious or not even allowed in some cases depending on the forum. Ivan Rovinsky is no different on another forum. Same thing happens there.

Personally everytime I look at the CST rotors I picture a car with "curb feelers" on it.

But back on topic, YES, as I am also interested in seeing the photos the original poster requested.

JJ

·
Registered
243 Posts
First time I seen this thread and I did notice the design flaw. I would hope these disc's are simply on the wrong side of the wheel. With them installed on the other side of the wheel the load would push the blade and carrier tighter onto the buttons, that would certainly make more sense.

I just can't see doing an entire race on those rotors, heating up 80% faster would only boil your fluid if you were having troubles with conventional rotors before. Race pads like heat too so your going from too hot to too cold rather than staying in the "zone". They would make a nice clock for my garage though.

·
MAD SCIENTIST
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

·
PISS OFF!
738 Posts
Explain curb feelers Jimmy.

Ive got a name Jimmy
Curb feelers look like wiskers on a cat but attach to the cars fenders to scrape against the curb to warn the driver so he doesn't scratch up his whitewalls or his rims. :gay:

Try "curb feelers" in google, all you will ever want to know.

Sorry Ripperton, sorry I refered to you as the original poster. :thefinger:

JJ

·
MAD SCIENTIST
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Curb feelers look like wiskers on a cat but attach to the cars fenders to scrape against the curb to warn the driver so he doesn't scratch up his whitewalls or his rims. :gay:

Try "curb feelers" in google, all you will ever want to know.

Sorry Ripperton, sorry I refered to you as the original poster. :thefinger:

JJ
Yeah I know what curb feelers are but I wanted to know how you made the analogy between curb feelers and Revolution Discs. Im guessing you think they are :gay:

·
PISS OFF!
738 Posts
Yeah I know what curb feelers are but I wanted to know how you made the analogy between curb feelers and Revolution Discs. Im guessing you think they are :gay:
No NOT Gay, more like "hoodish".

JJ

·
my wheelies are gaaaabage
574 Posts
those look like 310mm discs that are on a bike designed for 320mm discs. the line from pad wear is way far out there, and it looks like the top edge of pad wouldnt even be touching rotor.

·
MAD SCIENTIST
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
more like "hoodish".
GANGSTA ? :shoot:

looks like the top edge of pad wouldnt even be touching rotor.
Im seeing the disc come up further than the pads DF and leaving a little tip of untouched steel. And that looks crap.
The disc is supposed to come up higher but in this case :th_down:

·
PISS OFF!
738 Posts
those look like 310mm discs that are on a bike designed for 320mm discs. the line from pad wear is way far out there, and it looks like the top edge of pad wouldnt even be touching rotor.
Thats an 08 ZX10 in the first photo and they require 310MM discs. I am sure of this as I own one.

As for the rest of it, don't know.

JJ

·
Registered
319 Posts
Thats an 08 ZX10 in the first photo and they require 310MM discs. I am sure of this as I own one.

As for the rest of it, don't know.

JJ
Yes..it is a 08 zx-10r, which does come with 310mm discs

·
Registered
319 Posts
That is not it at all. Wave rotors and petal rotors are perfectly legal in AMA.

As of last year (08) only in Superbike and formula extreme..they are not allowed in production classes as of 2008 rules.

·
Custom User Title
1,094 Posts
Okay here are a few facts from someone that has actually been using these things for the past few years. I just picked up new 320mm version of the revolution rotors.

I did a few measurements of thickness and weight.

First, stock OEM rotor:

320-oem.jpg
4.5mm thick and weight is 46.752 ounces

Next, BrakeTech Axis:

320-axis.jpg
5.0mm thick and 50.560 ounces

Finally, the Revolution Rotors

320-revolution.jpg
5.5mm thick and 45.440 ounces

I did not have a Galfer rotor to compare, but as you can see, the new Revolution Rotors are larger giving you a much better feel without all the work, as well as lighter than stock. I wasn't surprised to find that the BrakeTech rotors were thicker than stock, but what did suprise me is how much more heaver they were than stock rotors.

That is all I can do now, Mike told me again that he would be a fool to release any of the testing results until after the patent is final. It makes sense to me. He also mentioned that now that he is aware that his rotors are legal in the AMA, he will look for a team to do some testing on the track at that professional level. :)

·
MAD SCIENTIST
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Thanks Biggy
still would like to see some close up shots of the rivets after a couple of thousand miles.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
FYI--OEM rotors are 5mm thick--the 4mm is when you toss them. Brembos are 6mm thick--guess what dissipates the heat the best

·
Custom User Title
1,094 Posts
FYI--OEM rotors are 5mm thick--the 4mm is when you toss them. Brembos are 6mm thick--guess what dissipates the heat the best
Well, the stock rotors I measured had only about 50 or so miles on them, probably less. I already know which rotor dissipates heat the best. ;)

41 - 60 of 87 Posts