Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long (far) have you ridden your CBR1000RR? How do you manage your lower back aches & your lower leg cramps? I'm 5'8" (172cm) and 145lbs (~66kg).

So far, I've been leaning flat on the tank to have some quiet & more relaxed composure and occasional stretching one leg at a time. Looking for suggestions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I did a 400 mile day, through the mountain twisties, on my 748, stopping only to get gas. Every ride since, on any other bike, seems like a lazy-boy recliner, in comparison.

Work on core strength (sit ups) and get some tank grip pads. They'll both help with riding fatigue.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I only ride an hour or hour and a half with a Sport Bike. Age and experience may have something to do with it. Stopping occasionally would be a big help if you are riding multiple hours at a time. Different people will have different physical issues, My neck seems to be problematic for me, Maybe a different style bike would be better for very long distance. That's in addition to your CBR of course....LOL. I have ridden coast to coast and from Mexico to Canada and many National parks in the past, but I'll just enjoy my local mountain and canyon roads on my CBR....oh yea, I'm 70.....:)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Agree. I have a FireStorm/SuperHawk as a second bike. Much more comfortable, but also more thirsty. Bit of a trade off there!
OK, I HAVE a good reason for another bike, now!
:ROFLMAO:(y)

May be a used Honda VFR1200X or NC750X.

Reactions: nigelrb

·
Registered
275 Posts
I can only comfortably ride for about an hour or so. Longest rides have been 3-5hr and I'm usually pretty miserable by the end.

I plan to get a more comfortable bike in the future for longer rides. I'd really like a CBX 1000, but I'll probably get something newer too.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I do some pretty long rides, core strength and good posture is key. Also, don't sit passively, keep moving in the saddle, keeps old joints from stiffening up too much. Two hours and I have to fill up anyway, so you get some stretch time then, too. Funny story, I find my CBR the most comfortable bike I have in the garage for sistance, have tank grips and the bike is basically stock other than that.

·
a d m i n
151,043 Posts
Agree. I have a FireStorm/SuperHawk..., but also more thirsty. Bit
Wayyy, more thirsty, (had 4 of these). :ROFLMAO:

Only issue I’m having currently, is the hard-as-a-brick seat. 6’1”/230lbs, perfect positioning for me otherwise, (‘18 SP).

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Wayyy, more thirsty, (had 4 of these). :ROFLMAO:

Only issue I’m having currently, is the hard-as-a-brick seat. 6’1”/230lbs, perfect positioning for me otherwise, (‘18 SP).
If you don't like the high cost of a Corbin or Saddlemans you might wanna check out Luimoto Gold Gel insert. Not too difficult to install with a few tools (air stapler is a must, can pick one up for cheap) or you can send it to them and have it installed.
Added benefit it keeps the stock look and shape of the current seat. I have read some reviews on both the other seats and some complain the seat I padding is thicker in the rear so it's angled towards to tank adding to nut crushers on the tank.
I couldn't be happier with the purchase on the gel insert. Installed it myself in a few hours

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
How long (far) have you ridden your CBR1000RR? How do you manage your lower back aches & your lower leg cramps? I'm 5'8" (172cm) and 145lbs (~66kg).

So far, I've been leaning flat on the tank to have some quiet & more relaxed composure and occasional stretching one leg at a time. Looking for suggestions.

Thanks!

Have you tried adjusting your levers? You can move them up or down to decrease tension on your wrists and shoulders. But I do think it's impossible to not experience any pain after riding for a bit. I tend to give myself a good 15-20 minutes of stretching before i get into my leathers.

Check out this video on ergonomics by Dave Moss

Reactions: JA-SP

·
Registered
275 Posts
I usually end up with pain in my neck, back, and rear. My neck from looking up while riding, back because I have lower back problems, and rear because I haven't upgraded the seats and the factory ones suck.

If the SC82 is as uncomfortable as some have said, I'll probably get risers, adjustable rearsets, and a new seat. I'll try it out before buying anything.

I used to get pain in my wrists, but once I learned I should be supporting myself with my core it's no longer an issue. Tank grips do help.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SUMMARY

So far, to summarize, I have picked up some new information from you folks to alleviate the issue:
  • replace OEM seat
  • take frequent rests and exercise & stretch when doing rest stops, hydrate
  • get another bike for longer distance
  • attach tank grips
  • do gym exercises to improve lower core muscles
  • adjust levers
  • adjust suspensions (I saw from another thread elsewhere)
Thanks, folks!

·
Registered
797 Posts
. . . If the SC82 is as uncomfortable as some have said, I'll probably get risers, adjustable rearsets, and a new seat. I'll try it out before buying anything.
For me, it's a 'bearable' discomfort. Certainly not meant for distance touring, but a lot depends on our resilience.

The fit is VERY similar to the VTR SP-2 (RC51). If you can get the opportunity to sit on or ride one of those, that will give you the closest reference.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I only ride an hour or hour and a half with a Sport Bike. Age and experience may have something to do with it. Stopping occasionally would be a big help if you are riding multiple hours at a time. Different people will have different physical issues, My neck seems to be problematic for me, Maybe a different style bike would be better for very long distance. That's in addition to your CBR of course....LOL. I have ridden coast to coast and from Mexico to Canada and many National parks in the past, but I'll just enjoy my local mountain and canyon roads on my CBR....oh yea, I'm 70.....:)
This is about right. I just turned 71 and I'm about ready to pack it in on my 2014SP after an hour or so. My "Taint" tain't about to take much more than that. Bear in mind that sportbikes are really street legal racebikes, and the ergos are set up for 20 minute track sessions and not cross-country touring. I have a Road King for that.

That said, I also have an S1000RR, and cruise control makes all the difference in the world. I can set it and sit upright for long straight stretches. Makes a world of difference.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
This is about right. I just turned 71 and I'm about ready to pack it in on my 2014SP after an hour or so. My "Taint" tain't about to take much more than that. Bear in mind that sportbikes are really street legal racebikes, and the ergos are set up for 20 minute track sessions and not cross-country touring. I have a Road King for that.

That said, I also have an S1000RR, and cruise control makes all the difference in the world. I can set it and sit upright for long straight stretches. Makes a world of difference.
Wow! Still busting out the blade at 70. My hats off to you gentlemen. You fine men are inspirational. 👏👏👏

·
Registered
519 Posts
artthury....I think you are on the right track now. If you do all the things on your list, you will be unstoppable!!

shorelas....that's a nice selection of bikes you have!!

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement for us old farts. I try to ride as much as I can to stay in shape in case I meet up with a young guy on a twisty mountain road. At least maybe I can make him work a little harder....LOL

I look a lot younger with my helmet on.....

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
artthury....I think you are on the right track now. If you do all the things on your list, you will be unstoppable!!

shorelas....that's a nice selection of bikes you have!!

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement for us old farts. I try to ride as much as I can to stay in shape in case I meet up with a young guy on a twisty mountain road. At least maybe I can make him work a little harder....LOL

I look a lot younger with my helmet on.....
View attachment 259187
Looks like you are ready for more canyon carving ... (y)

Reactions: mountain CBR

·
Registered
60 Posts
Looks like you are ready for more canyon carving ... (y)
Thank you very much! These bike I keep in NJ-I ride them in rotation LOL!

My wife bought me the MT-07 for a 70th birthday present. She's a helluva gal!

This brute

shares the garage in our Florida home with a FLSTC Heritage:

I'm fortunate that I have such beautiful machines in the stable(s). What I don't have is many "twisties" in NJ, and none at all in Florida!

1 - 20 of 85 Posts