Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
This begs a question: would the cost of production be higher for a V4 versus an inline-4 ? Is that why this did not trickle down to us from the RC213?
Or perhaps, it was the materials used.

There's a weight difference of ~ 100lbs (45 kg).
I would expect it to be. Assuming they're like other V4 configurations, you now have two heads, intake/exhaust routing isn't as simple/straightforward, double the cams, etc. I would expect it to weigh more, take up more volume overall, and labor costs will increase as well. The list price of the new bike is high enough it could have still been profitable from a per-bike standpoint, but not as profitable as an inline. I think with Honda's shrinking sales in this segment they probably wanted to use a cheaper inline engine to make it a little more likely they'll recoup R&D costs. Maybe they also wanted to make sure people pay less for labor at the shop.

Whatever the case, they certainly know people want a v4 that doesn't cost a quarter-mil.

I wanted a v4 along with everyone else, but I would have been happy with some variable valve timing. I can tell VTEC doesn't have a great reputation for bikes, but the "kick" could certainly be smoothed out with cam profiles or electronic trickery. They would have been able to avoid a lot of the "gutless" complaints below 6-7k rpm. It's understandable why they didn't bother: reduced complexity, reduced cost, reduced weight, and because RACEBIKE who cares about low-end/mid-range power? Keep the revs high :)

Now I hope they don't release a V4 any time soon so that I can avoid having to explain to the wife why it's necessary.

·
Premium Member
4,956 Posts
Honda's bean counters are in control. They make shit tons of money from small cc bikes all over the world. Sport bikes...... not so much.
Soichiro Honda is rolling over in his grave.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited by Moderator)
I would expect it to be. Assuming they're like other V4 configurations, you now have two heads, intake/exhaust routing isn't as simple/straightforward, double the cams, etc. I would expect it to weigh more, take up more volume overall, and labor costs will increase as well. The list price of the new bike is high enough it could have still been profitable from a per-bike standpoint, but not as profitable as an inline. I think with Honda's shrinking sales in this segment they probably wanted to use a cheaper inline engine to make it a little more likely they'll recoup R&D costs. Maybe they also wanted to make sure people pay less for labor at the shop.

Whatever the case, they certainly know people want a v4 that doesn't cost a quarter-mil.

I wanted a v4 along with everyone else, but I would have been happy with some variable valve timing. I can tell VTEC doesn't have a great reputation for bikes, but the "kick" could certainly be smoothed out with cam profiles or electronic trickery. They would have been able to avoid a lot of the "gutless" complaints below 6-7k rpm. It's understandable why they didn't bother: reduced complexity, reduced cost, reduced weight, and because RACEBIKE who cares about low-end/mid-range power? Keep the revs high :)

Now I hope they don't release a V4 any time soon so that I can avoid having to explain to the wife why it's necessary.
There's always Ducati, if we want a V4 ... now.

My Sargent seat has been shipped!
Will let you guys know how it goes when it arrives.

I understand. I believe Sargents made in Germany. Not sure if anyones mentioned it here but my seats lowered the ride height about 1/4-1/2 inch. I'm a shorter rider so no complaints on this end.
The Sargent seat arrived and I installed it.

Facts:
Yes, I can confirm that the padding is thinner than the OEM one and so lowered the seat height some.

Did it improve comfort level?
I cannot make of it in terms of comfort compared to the OEM. The OEM seat is firmer and that much is certain.
The OEM seat sports an arch that tilted the rider a little more fwd.
Sargent seat seems flatter (more parallel to the horizon), which meant that if I were to sit at the square center, I would have to extend my arms more since there is no arched seat to back me up now.
I'll have to take a longer ride to be able to tell how it is improving the comfort level. As of now, I cannot tell if it has improved comfort.

Slippery material
The Sargent marine vinyl seems a tad too slippery so I slide around on the seat, depending on whether I'm braking or accelerating. Weird, never had that with OEM before.

I wonder how the Saddleman gel-led seat felt like compared to the discoveries I have stated in the above UPDATE.

Keeping comfortable prevents fatigue, but there is a real problem with 'no channel and being hard':ROFLMAO:
View attachment 259529
Nigel,
Intriguing ... Is this you or your son or your father?

UK, like most established countries, has a raft of privacy legislation in place that prevents me from safely commenting.:p
The more others know, the more we hide and they call it privacy. 🤪

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
@Visionary , how did you handle Sargent seat being so slippery? Please share your thoughts on this. Thanks!

81 - 85 of 85 Posts