Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Say you are intending to buy a pretty high priced new Motorcyle (imagine it's an H2, SP, CBR1000RR-R ) in the east coast and you want to ride it back to the west coast. Where would you park along the way back home so it won't be stolen when you are sleeping in hotels?
I thought about camping along the way but there isn't any space to carry a small fold-up tent on a CBR.
I don't know of any hotels that have a locked up safe for a bike.

·
Vendor
3,431 Posts
Say you are intending to buy a pretty high priced new Motorcyle (imagine it's an H2, SP, CBR-R ) in the east coast and you want to ride it back to the west coast. Where would you park along the way back home so it won't be stolen when you are sleeping in hotels?
I thought about camping along the way but there isn't any space to carry a small fold-up tent on a CBR.
I don't know of any hotels that have a locked up safe for a bike.
Choose a state that you can reciprocal carry your side arm all the way and sleep next to the bike.
or
Recruit a co-driver to share non-stop driving of a uhaul
or
Have it shipped to your local dealer.

I just fly in and rent a uhaul. Most times we make it a worthwhile trip when me, my driving buddy and the seller share interests.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Best to prepare your stops in advance. Contact the hotel/motel/ guest house and find out if they have secure parking for bike, sheltered would be a bonus. With smaller outfits, you have a better chance of being close to the bike or even parking it close to your room window preferrably covered by a surveillance camera.
When you chain your bike, remember both front & rear wheel come off given enough time. disc locks (with built in alarm) are good but also use a chain. If you can, find a securing point off the ground so that bolt cutters are difficult to use necessitating the use of powered and noisy handtools.
I feel for you; it is such a shame the worry spoils the enjoyment!
How about a sticker saying "this bike is booby-trapped DO NOT TOUCH"

·
Registered
373 Posts
Xena disc lock with alarm on the front rotor. 15-16mm chain (no thinner as those can be easily cut) on left side swing-arm (not wheel) lock to lamp-post, etc. Need a lock such as Abus Granite or Kryptonite New York Legend.

Park it where you can personally see it. Not where you think it will be hidden from others.

Try to make only 1 stop mid-way in Texas where the laws are heavily in your favor, especially at night.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I can understand this fear. I don't even park my "nice" bike to go shopping for more than a few minutes. It's strictly for riding, going to eat somewhere that I can sit and watch it, quick runs inside a convenience store, or to work either on a military base and/or a place with guards/cameras.

As another suggested, I'd look for a cheap ground-floor hotel that I could easily roll the motorcycle into the room. It would be best to check with the hotel ahead of time. This would be what I'm most comfortable with.

Renting a box truck would be my second choice. My family's was broken into at a hotel years ago. A good lock in a well-lit area, preferably with a visible camera, would put me at ease.

·
Banned
826 Posts
Just going off on a bit of a tangent here @artthury , but if the bike in question is not something super special, there must be many available on the west coast.

IF it IS so special to travel that far, perhaps that's even more reason to fully 'protect' it from theft, accident or breakdown, and truly consider a van or courier. (y)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Just going off on a bit of a tangent here @artthury , but if the bike in question is not something super special, there must be many available on the west coast.

IF it IS so special to travel that far, perhaps that's even more reason to fully 'protect' it from theft, accident or breakdown, and truly consider a van or courier. (y)
Reminds me of one guy who bought a full carbon frame BMW HP4 and literally put it in his living room for several years before auctioning it off at a loss with 0 miles on it. No bike in my opinion is so special you can't ride it.

·
Registered
2015 Honda CBR 1000rr non ABS
1,749 Posts
There are plenty of insured shipping companies out there. I had mine shipped, although from Ohio to Michigan, for a few hundred dollars and the driver made sure the bike was loaded correctly, used padding and moving blankets, and sent me texts with updates throughout his trip.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hey, a CBR-RR (not the RRR) being old stock wont be high priced, at $9K for non - SP. So, no problem, don't worry about it. :ROFLMAO: But anyway, UHAUL 100%, It is not that expensive.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I take a long trip every year. We stay at Hampton Inns wherever we can. Almost all of them allow us to park in front of the main entrance. Occasionally one will not.

Unless your bike is a bike that cannot be replaced, just ride it, park it and enjoy life. And if possible, park near Harley’s. Crooks won’t even notice your bike ;)

Reactions: LA2SD

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, I did consider using a shipper but I don't get the adventure of riding it back. ;)
U-haul (or some van) is a good alternative: price may end up about the same as getting a shipper.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
[...]
I seem to see more dealers on the east coast with more competitive pricing than west coast. That's why.

·
Vendor
3,431 Posts
Yes, I did consider using a shipper but I don't get the adventure of riding it back. ;)
U-haul (or some van) is a good alternative: price may end up about the same as getting a shipper.
Way more.

Haulbikes etc all are about $500 to $850 for cross country haul. You are not doing a round trip with a one way u-Haul rental for that price.

·
Registered
2015 Honda CBR 1000rr non ABS
1,749 Posts
Although riding a new bike across the country sounds like a good idea in theory I personally wouldn't want to attempt it.

These bikes stock have a rock hard seat and terrible ergonomics for a ride like that.
Maybe after some time on the bike, a new seat, riser bars, adjustable rear sets, and everything set up for me I might attempt it but then again I'm getting old. 20 years ago I probably woulda done it without a second thought

And if it's a brand new bike no way I would attempt it as there is no possible way to properly perform the break in procedure on the engine. You would also have to have the initial oil change done along the way.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts