Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

So i just finished rebuilding the engine up until where the head is on and the timing should be fixed.

I changed:
  • ALL bearings (crank and crankpin as well as transmission)
  • All piston rings.

Transmission, crank, piston and rods were all in very good shape and thus not changed. There was a rattling noise which wasnt the cam chain so i decided to overhaul the engine by changing ALL bearings.
Everything by the official Honda workshop manual for the specific bike: CBR1000RR 2008.

So now when installing the top and aligning the -IN and -EX with the cylinder head all looks fine to me until i start turning and it stops when piston 2 and 3 get to TDC. There must be a valve open, and thus my setting should be incorrect. I just dont understand what im doing wrong here. I also checked ALL valves which are perfectly straight.

The engine turns super smooth without the cams on, just the problems start when the cams are installed!

ALL ideas are welcome!

·
Registered
476 Posts
With cylinder 4 at TDC, the lobes should point out like this.

Edit: I can't actually see the lobes very well in the picture. So confirm it looks like this first with the T||F marks lined up?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With cylinder 4 at TDC, the lobes should point out like this.
View attachment 262275

Edit: I can't actually see the lobes very well in the picture. So confirm it looks like this first with the T||F marks lined up?
Hi 09 blade and thanks for ur reply and thought! I can actually confirm that with:
  • Cylinder 1 and 4 at TDC
  • The lobes of #1 are pointing as in ur picture

I put the IN and EX marks visible and towards eachother.

The number #1 are pointing away from eachother and the #4 are pointing towards eachother. Do you mean i put the cam shafts 180 degrees wrong?

Thankfull for any help!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hi 09 blade and thanks for ur reply and thought! I can actually confirm that with:
  • Cylinder 1 and 4 at TDC
  • The lobes of #1 are pointing as in ur picture

I put the IN and EX marks visible and towards eachother.

The number #1 are pointing away from eachother and the #4 are pointing towards eachother. Do you mean i put the cam shafts 180 degrees wrong?

Thankfull for any help!
Not sure I understand what you mean by IN and EX marks toward each other. I need to know is when the IN/EX marks are exactly like this in the picture below.

AND the T||F is lined up like this.

Do your lobes look exactly like this?

If you ever removed the camshaft sprockets and reinstalled them there is a chance you installed them 180 degrees backward. Did you ever remove the camshaft gears?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure I understand what you mean by IN and EX marks toward each other. I need to know is when the IN/EX marks are exactly like this in the picture below.
View attachment 262284
AND the T||F is lined up like this.
View attachment 262285
Do your lobes look exactly like this?
View attachment 262286

If you ever removed the camshaft sprockets and reinstalled them there is a chance you installed them 180 degrees backward. Did you ever remove the camshaft gears?
Hi,
sorry for that mate, i meant the IN and EX are flush with the engine casing as om ur pics.

Good pitch yeah, i have taken them apart.
What i meant with the IN and EX marks are opposite of eachother that was regarding the cam shafts. Ill attach a pic. The cam lobes look like ur pic on cylinder #1 also visible on the pic.

Please give me ur thoughts!

·
BOTM Moderator
477 Posts
looks like 09_blade called it when he said you installed your sprockets 180 off.

the lobes, appear to me to be 180* off, if my swigglly circle at the bottom of the screen is your EX mark

·
Registered
476 Posts
looks like 09_blade called it when he said you installed your sprockets 180 off.

the lobes, appear to me to be 180* off, if my swigglly circle at the bottom of the screen is your EX mark

View attachment 262306
Yes! This is what I am referring to. Those two lobes should be facing outward like bunny ears.

Reactions: SteveMotorcycle1988

·
Registered
476 Posts
I posted this information from the HRC manual. I found an old picture from when I took apart the head and I believe you are correct. They do point inward and the HRC method establishes the same relationship between crank/camshaft rotation. Sorry to have pointed you in the wrong direction. Did you install the pistons all pointing the right way?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I posted this information from the HRC manual. I found an old picture from when I took apart the head and I believe you are correct. They do point inward and the HRC method establishes the same relationship between crank/camshaft rotation. Sorry to have pointed you in the wrong direction. Did you install the pistons all pointing the right way?

View attachment 262320
View attachment 262321
hi mate,

The pistons are all pointing correct, i followed the IN mark on them when reassembling.

I suspect i installed the cams correct but the timing could have been off a tooth on the IN valves which are larger in diameter than the EX valves thus stopping the engine from turning.

I have already done this work once when i thought the issue was the cam chain installing a fresg new one. But the rattling sound was still there. Changed CCT and cam chain that time but without solving the issue.

After i decided to rebuild the whole engine and at least change all bearings and the piston rings.

Everything is correct and the pistons go up and down unbelievably smoothly, almost turning with the lilfinger 😅😃

When installing the head its all fine as well until i install the cams.

Also took the valves out which are all straight and nice.

Ill add a pic of the pistons as well as the valve(s).

It must be the timing thats off i guess...

Any more tips? Any thoughts are welcome!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Is the head off right now? Could you take some Playdough and put it in the valve cutouts on the piston (then light coat of oil so valve doesn't stick) to see which of the valves happens to be hitting? Like which valve has an abnormal piston-valve clearance? Cause unless you left something screwed into the spark plug holes it has to be a valve.

Maybe one of the shims is slightly off center under the bucket and that is causing one valve to stick out more? Sorry I'm all over the place it's a very odd situation you describe.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts