Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

161 - 180 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts

The are on the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gratz! take it you bought the ones on the classifieds? Hopefully you can weigh these before install... as i am curious the difference between the forged spun wheels vs the real deal MR7-RS wheels you posted the picture of...Have yet to get my weighed on the Sp 2 which if you did buy those one wheels are same, but black.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Maybe you also can weight the rims with brake discs,...my thyssenkrupp come with brake discs mounted and i do not want to remove them ;)
Did you need stock rotor weight?

1243gr each (2.74lbs) I will post up what my braketechs weight when they show up as well..

·
Registered
387 Posts
Do y'all know if these magnesium rims can be changed using normal tire irons and rim protectors? Or would you need a special machine like a No-mar or similar?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Do y'all know if these magnesium rims can be changed using normal tire irons and rim protectors? Or would you need a special machine like a No-mar or similar?
I have never been willing to try personally, rather have zero contact between the wheel and any tool... Down side to magnesium, is way to easy to damage the wheels. one big thing they don't tell you, scratching a magnesium wheel or getting deep chips that expose the metal, can cause oxidation and fatigue.. not good

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have never been willing to try personally, rather have zero contact between the wheel and any tool... Down side to magnesium, is way to easy to damage the wheels. one big thing they don't tell you, scratching a magnesium wheel or getting deep chips that expose the metal, can cause oxidation and fatigue.. not good
That's my concern. I really want to upgrade to a set of Carrozzeria rims (it's the last thing left to upgrade!) but I change my own tires and even though I never mar my stock rims I'm terrified of putting extra pressure on carbon and magnesium with tire irons. Is the rim itself thinner?

·
Registered
124 Posts
That's my concern. I really want to upgrade to a set of Carrozzeria rims (it's the last thing left to upgrade!) but I change my own tires and even though I never mar my stock rims I'm terrified of putting extra pressure on carbon and magnesium with tire irons. Is the rim itself thinner?
Not trying to take away from the Thread, but on any wheel the relief valley plays a huge part in how much if any pressure is put on the wheel. The old carrozerria wheels were horrible in this instance on the front wheel.. almost zero relief, so just a matter of time for the front wheel to get marked up. Why not go OZ Gass Rsa wheels? lightest aluminum wheel, and they are pretty strong.. i will be using those for the track, as they are lighter and plenty durable compared to the SP 2 cast spun marchesini wheels i have on the bike now.. after years of using magnesium, i will not be using them in the future. I would even say i would opt for the gass rsa over BST wheels for a track use.. at least if you crash they will most likely do a better job surviving... the magnesium should be xrayed after a crash... and bst i would say depending on the crash, same thing.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Nice i see you bought some black Sp2 wheels!? I was tempted to pick those up from the seller on the forum for trackday wheels, but wanted actual forged wheels. Hopefully you get the weights on them, as very curious the difference in them over the aftermarket forged wheels.

·
Registered
2018 CBR1000RR SP
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Update, found a set of new Brembo supersport rotors for a stupid price that I couldn’t pass on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

161 - 180 of 201 Posts