Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

141 - 160 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Anyone know where I might find some Rc51 wheels in good shape? Or if anyone wants to sell let me know please.. Front or back does not matter...Thx 3057993189

·
Registered
38 Posts
Great post. Good way to get some good looking wheels on your bike for a decent price!!!! Also any update on how many miles CaptPNOY has put on the bike since the mod was completed???

·
Yuppp!
268 Posts
did anybody else do this? im thinking of picking up sum wheels and want to do the swap but want to know for sure if the instructions captpnoy gave was the perfect way..

do i use rc51 parts for both wheels? or just the rim and re-use my oem parts from the 08 cbr 1000 rims?

·
Registered
29 Posts
did anybody else do this? im thinking of picking up sum wheels and want to do the swap but want to know for sure if the instructions captpnoy gave was the perfect way..

do i use rc51 parts for both wheels? or just the rim and re-use my oem parts from the 08 cbr 1000 rims?
I have my doubts too, but am currently getting wheels, already contacted company for machining and powdercoat. will do some preliminary mounting before sending to shop. will try to post pictures and add to Captnoy findings:thumbsup:

·
Registered
230 Posts
RC51 SP2 front wheel

I have a straight SP2 5-spoke front wheel. I bought it without bearings and bearings spacer. I got as far as getting it media-blasted for new powder coat but have since decided to go another direction.
So, I have a straight bare wheel, new in the bag bearings and spacer, and maybe even an aluminum angled valve stem to go with it. A complete wheel set-up minus the powdercoat/paint.
Please e/m me at [email protected] if interested.

·
Yuppp!
268 Posts
I have my doubts too, but am currently getting wheels, already contacted company for machining and powdercoat. will do some preliminary mounting before sending to shop. will try to post pictures and add to Captnoy findings:thumbsup:
let me know how it goes man!! hoping to do this soon!

·
Registered
356 Posts
so for 08 1k what excat parts do i need minus the rc51 wheels

·
Registered
267 Posts
So I'm a little confused.. Was the 04-07 swap still good and the 08+ was the one having the problems or was the warping of the rotors on the 04-07?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Currently I have the wheels at the shop being powdercoated and front machined.

Rear sp1 wheel mounts up no issue using all 08-11 cbr1000 parts! :thumbsup:

Front 08-11 cbr 1000 bearings,collar,dust seals,RC51 Rotors

To figure/confirm the machining of the wheels for the rotors I bolted the calpers and installed the front axle (no wheel installed) I measured from dead center caliper to caliper to get 132mm. Then I measured from dead center rotor to rotor
(cbr1000 rotors on sp1 wheel) and got 142mm. thats 10mm differance. Meaning You cant use 08-11 cbr1000rr rotors. you have to use RC51 rotors!

Apparently CaptNoy left that part out. even in his pictures it shows the cbr1000 rotor but remember those were taken when his rotors rubbed. and if you go back and read a few pages back were he did the brake measurments. He came up with shaving the RC51 wheel to fit the RC51 rotors not the cbr1000rr rotors. Would of been nice if would of mentioned this!!!!!

When I get the wheels back I will know %100

The sp1 collar is 2mm shorter than the cbr1000rr collar. Also one side of the sp1 wheel inside dimeter behind where wheel bering sits is too small for cbr1000 collar to fit through, and will need to be dremeled out to 32mm diameter for cbr 1000rr collar to slide through. this is important because the center collar will need to contact the inner race of each wheel bearing.

Now given that the cbr1000 wheel bearings and un cut collar total length plus cbr1000rr spacers centers the cbr1000 wheels perfectly. (dust seals don't count/add in length because spacers are intended to slide through it)

Being that you have to cut the cbr1000 collar 2mm to match the length of the sp1 wheel collar, so that the wheel bearings properly contact the inside of the wheel and the collar. I will add back the the 2mm cut off from the cbr1000 collar on the outside of the wheel bearings (1mm on each side of wheel) then add the cbr1000 oem spacers after that and that should put us back at that (given length) I talked about above and should center the wheel perfectly.:thumbsup:

Note: The 1mm spacers I got are the 1mm Headset spacers from a bicycle shop Captnoy talked about in an earlier post.

Note** I have not mounted the wheels as of yet they are currently being machined/powdercoated. the above comments are based on measurments taken by me and what I figured would make it operate as intended. I will know more once I recieve the wheels back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So I'm a little confused.. Was the 04-07 swap still good and the 08+ was the one having the problems or was the warping of the rotors on the 04-07?
Its possible to warp rotors on 04-11 if you dont center the rotors or wheel properly. im saying they all can have issues if not swapped correctly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did the swap on my Erion 929! I had the factory wheels chrome but got tired of it and the fact every one does it. I still had the wheels off my RC51 (from upgrading those rims) so I wanted something to turn heads!

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Its possible to warp rotors on 04-11 if you dont center the rotors or wheel properly. im saying they all can have issues if not swapped correctly.
Ohh wow! ok.. Well i just remember someone saying they would just swap out the 04-07 forks! So it threw me off.. I really want to do the swap!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Note: I edited my above post Captnoy is using RC51 rotors not CBR1000rr rotors. 08-11 CBR1000rr rotors wont fit!

Currently looking for some RC51 rotors and trying to get confirmation on if 06-07 cbr1000rr rotors will fit. sure they may have the same diameter and thickness but the offset is very important. it determines where the rotors sit in the caliper.

Offset mounting surface to inside rotor surface

08-11 cbr1000rr-10.5mm

RC51 SP2-7mm (assume the sp1 is the same)

Then shave 2mm off the 7mm that and beacuse of shaved wheel is 5.5mm x2 = 10mm

10mm distance is the diffrence in distance between the 08-11 cbr1000rr rotors on sp1 wheels to 08-11 cbr1000rr rotors on cbr1000rr wheels.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Note: I edited my above post Captnoy is using RC51 rotors not CBR1000rr rotors. 08-11 CBR1000rr rotors wont fit!

Currently looking for some RC51 rotors and trying to get confirmation on if 06-07 cbr1000rr rotors will fit. sure they may have the same diameter and thickness but the offset is very important. it determines where the rotors sit in the caliper.

Offset mounting surface to inside rotor surface

08-11 cbr1000rr-10.5mm

RC51 SP2-7mm (assume the sp1 is the same)

Then shave 2mm off the 7mm that and beacuse of shaved wheel is 5.5mm x2 = 10mm

10mm distance is the diffrence in distance between the 08-11 cbr1000rr rotors on sp1 wheels to 08-11 cbr1000rr rotors on cbr1000rr wheels.
aaaa you're assuming he used RC51 rotors, how bout' you ask him directly. We don't want to steer the boat in the wrong direction..

·
Registered
29 Posts
aaaa you're assuming he used RC51 rotors, how bout' you ask him directly. We don't want to steer the boat in the wrong direction..
Not assuming, he had to!

In anycase he sold that bike and I dont think he frequents the forums anymore?? But if you think otherwise or know how to contact him let me know, would love to talk with him about all this.

141 - 160 of 189 Posts