Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched everywhere and can't find any solid information beyond some old threads and nothing is working trying to cross reference part numbers. I am hoping someone can help me out. I have a 2006 1000RR and picked up a set of JSB cams, part numbers (14110-MEL-R10 and 14210-MEL-R10). The lift is about the same as stock at .350" intake and .327" exhaust, however the duration is longer.

I also have two sets of valve springs and can't figure out if these will work or not:

Part number 14751-NL9-C00 (ORANGE SPRING) is listed as a single intake valve spring
Part number 14751-MEL-R10 (YELLOW SPRING) is also listed as an intake valve spring

The HRC kit these cams used to come with uses part numbers 14751-NL9-910 for intake and 14761-NL9-910 for exhaust.

I cannot find the specs on any of these springs at all. From what I have found, with some kits the intake and exhaust springs are the same. What I am thinking is that the orange spring will be fine for the intake and the yellow spring for the exhaust. The intake on the '06 models uses dual springs from the factory, and this would take that down to a single spring, which seems consistent with various kits.

Or, is the right answer to run the single orange spring on the intake and leave the OEM exhaust? I don't want to go this route if I won't see the full benefit from the cams though and would rather just use the right parts.

I appreciate any help someone can offer so I can finish getting this engine back together, or source the right springs.

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000RR Turbo, 2002 CBR 954RR
117 Posts
What did you end up doing? I'm not familiar with those springs. If you can find a local shop that has a spring tester you could find if one was stiffer than the other and use it on the intake side.

I use 04-05 Intake/Exhaust springs (14751-MEL-000) or 06-07 exhaust springs (14761-MEL-D20) combined with the 06-07 inner springs(14752-MEL-D20) on intake and exhaust side for a moderate increase in stiffness. Seats and keepers for dual springs would need to be installed on the EX side as well.

For more money your could get Web Cams spring set which is made by R&D Spring. I run these with the inner springs for the turbo bike.

Font Material property Number Pattern Parallel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What did you end up doing? I'm not familiar with those springs. If you can find a local shop that has a spring tester you could find if one was stiffer than the other and use it on the intake side.

I use 04-05 Intake/Exhaust springs (14751-MEL-000) or 06-07 exhaust springs (14761-MEL-D20) combined with the 06-07 inner springs(14752-MEL-D20) on intake and exhaust side for a moderate increase in stiffness. Seats and keepers for dual springs would need to be installed on the EX side as well.

For more money your could get Web Cams spring set which is made by R&D Spring. I run these with the inner springs for the turbo bike.

View attachment 266008
Thanks for the reply. I ended up contacting R&D and they set me up with a set of springs (same single springs for intake and exhaust) to use and supported a maximum valve lift of .380”. I don’t have the exact specs on those springs handy, but I can say I’ve put about 6k miles on the bike since then including pushing the limiter and a couple dyno sessions, and have not had any issues. Bike runs great, sounds good, and dyno was up 20hp.

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000RR Turbo, 2002 CBR 954RR
117 Posts
Awesome. Those are the same springs I mentioned.

Just curious, what other mods did you do? 20 hp increase is awesome. Where does that put it ...165ish?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome. Those are the same springs I mentioned.

Just curious, what other mods did you do? 20 hp increase is awesome. Where does that put it ...165ish?
I really didn’t do much. I picked up the bike 6 weeks before with 14k miles, and based on the condition they were fairly hard miles. Broke it down to do some basic modifications. Didn’t do much really, springs, cams, velocity stacks, custom tune on the OEM ECU, gutted the airbox and removed flapper, BMC filters, pair delete, full Erion Racing exhaust (no cats or exhaust valve thing), +2 rear sprocket and 520 conversion. I think that was about it. First pull in the dyno was 130 and was 150 by the time it was done (56.6 torque to 65.12). The initial 130 seemed very low to me so I should have clarified 20 from the initial pull not from what I expected from base HP numbers. There’s probably an easy 10HP laying around somewhere, or maybe not.

Over the winter I’m planning to rebuild the bottom end, add some new pistons, and do some head work including replacing the valves. I figured it should have been close to 160+ after my first go round, so I’m relatively sure I’m loosing something somewhere. At this point it’s got 20k miles on it so won’t hurt to tear in a little deeper over the winter and give me something to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts