Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Foam removal, cause i have to put show much work on getting this bike to how it was designed to be, i thinking of taking a shortcut on removing the foam, i am thinking of cutting the front snorkel screen with flush cuts and going in their with a one of those registration razor removal tools, I mean with all honda;s detuned changes cutting the screen is less messing this bike up then what honda did to it
let me know what you guys think

·
Registered
213 Posts
I worry that some remnants of the foam, will get sucked into your engine. I would use a shop vac if you have to go this way. Otherwise just remove the fairings, and do it the proper way, or pay someone else to do it, if you are concerned.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I worry that some remnants of the foam, will get sucked into your engine. I would use a shop vac if you have to go this way. Otherwise just remove the fairings, and do it the proper way, or pay someone else to do it, if you are concerned.
Makes sense, thanks for the feed back

·
Registered
444 Posts
Is there foam beyond the filter?

Whatever the case, as relatively tedious as it seems, it's a one-time job so I'll just do it the right way. I'm not sure going through the snorkel will be any less of a pain in the ass to get it out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's next to impossible to go through the snorkel and get it all. It was a giant pain in the ass to do it the right way, but in my opinion, there is no other way.

·
GO FAST DON'T DIE
74 Posts
I removed fairings.. was going to sooner or later. Huge pain in the ass. I basically went in from the front and the back then had a friend with small hands help me with those hard to reach areas. Make sure you cover any areas the foam could get into your cylinders, good luck.

·
SuperMod
120 Posts
I removed fairings.. was going to sooner or later. Huge pain in the ass. I basically went in from the front and the back then had a friend with small hands help me with those hard to reach areas. Make sure you cover any areas the foam could get into *cyclinders... good luck.
I am not looking forward to that. Thanks for the pic.

San

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
View attachment 262715 I removed fairings.. was going to sooner or later. Huge pain in the ass. I basically went in from the front and the back then had a friend with small hands help me with those hard to reach areas. Make sure you cover any areas the foam could get into *cyclinders... good luck.
What are those holes on the sides for?

·
Registered
15 Posts
View attachment 262715 I removed fairings.. was going to sooner or later. Huge pain in the ass. I basically went in from the front and the back then had a friend with small hands help me with those hard to reach areas. Make sure you cover any areas the foam could get into your cylinders, good luck.
Does it sound significantly better/different with the foam out? How long did it take you from start to finish? Was it worth the effort?

Thanks!

·
GO FAST DON'T DIE
74 Posts
Does it sound significantly better/different with the foam out? How long did it take you from start to finish? Was it worth the effort?

Thanks!
i dont remember how long it took. But i was in garage more than a few hours.. mostly taking fairings off w/o snapping any tabs. I can say that after my reflash, my bike has a raspy formula one sound people keep telling me about. So definitely changes the sound to that raspyness before sounded more muffled. But it wasnt flashed like now. So im sure the combination definitely made a difference..

·
Hook 'em!
2017 CBR1000S1
3,568 Posts
So definitely changes the sound to that raspyness before sounded more muffled.
Yup, Honda didn't go to all the effort to put that crap inside American spec bikes if it didn't drop the sound below EPA max levels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Concerning the removal of all the foam in the US model:
This is what 5 hours of elbow grease, Goo Gone Citrus on the ABS and Goof Off Pro Strength on the aluminum will get you. Also add the time to remove the fairing and filter box cover.
White Hood Light Product Black
Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

1 - 14 of 14 Posts