Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have just taken delivery of a standard CBR1000RR-R here in Europe and noticed that the Owner's Manual is very basic. While I was waiting for my bike I managed to get hold of a US version of the Owner's Manual where there is a paragraph somewhere that mentions an option to buy the bike's Service Manual. However, that same paragraph is omitted from the EU version of the Owner's Manual. I asked my dealer and it seamed as if it was the first time they heard of the existence of a Service Manual. Does anyone know if there is somewhere I can purchase this manual, preferably in PDF format?
Thanks in advance!

·
Vendor
3,481 Posts
Yes, the service manual is available directly from Honda Japan.

PM me your details and I can try buy you a copy. It comes on CD along with the parts list.
That they don't know about the existence of the service manual is total BS. This is pure ignorance and you might be better off finding a better dealer.
I got mine about 3 months ago.
I think price was about $200.

·
Banned
823 Posts
Hello,

I have just taken delivery of a standard CBR1000RR-R here in Europe and noticed that the Owner's Manual is very basic. . . .
Congratulations on the new bike. Sure it's basic, but there's hell of a lot of reading to do about riding modes and general set up. I'm not sure I would want to be doing anything other than basic fluids check and chain maintenance on one of these bikes. Especially in warranty period also.

On the other side of course, most of us want as much info as poss about our bikes and I believe Service Manuals should be available at a concession price to owners, but certainly not at the ridiculous 'retail' that many are ambushed to pay.

Anyway, how about a pic of your bike when you're able? :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the service manual is available directly from Honda Japan.

PM me your details and I can try buy you a copy. It comes on CD along with the parts list.
That they don't know about the existence of the service manual is total BS. This is pure ignorance and you might be better off finding a better dealer.
I got mine about 3 months ago.
I think price was about $200.

Is there no other format other than CD? I no longer own any device capable of reading CDs...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys, beautiful bike, well done. The engine and handling is amazing (compared to my previus CBR 1000 2013)

·
Vendor
3,481 Posts
Is there no other format other than CD? I no longer own any device capable of reading CDs...
This is how Honda sells all the new documentation and publications in Japan. This is how all dealers receive their documentation and publications.

You will have to wait for a publisher to release a physical manual but for now this is what Honda currently sells.

Don't know what else to tell you mate, I offered a direct solution to get the official Honda service manual when your local dealers could not.

I bought one of these for $25 and can now read the many CDs I receive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is how Honda sells all the new documentation and publications in Japan. This is how all dealers receive their documentation and publications.

You will have to wait for a publisher to release a physical manual but for now this is what Honda currently sells.

Don't know what else to tell you mate, I offered a direct solution to get the official Honda service manual when your local dealers could not.

I bought one of these for $25 and can now read the many CDs I receive.

I apologise if I was rude or if I offended you in any way. I just wanted to make sure there was no better way to get access to the manual other than having it sent halfway across the world in a CD. It just feels unnecessarily old-school.
I will send you a PM to ask you a few questions.

·
Vendor
3,481 Posts
I apologise if I was rude or if I offended you in any way. I just wanted to make sure there was no better way to get access to the manual other than having it sent halfway across the world in a CD. It just feels unnecessarily old-school.
I will send you a PM to ask you a few questions.
No worries - I am not easily offended mate (y):coffee:

Its old school but CD is how Honda tries to copy protect the manuals and software they sell.
Rumor is they are going to a direct purchase licensed download that may require being locked to a single PC or even require online access to read - I much prefer an old school CD to any sort of licensed install or online only access.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discs are dumb. The only drive in my house is an external optical drive I bought that has flawed DRM allowing me to copy UHD blurays to my NAS.

What software is included?

Do they prevent printing? If not, "Microsoft print to pdf" or "print to paper, then scan" is going to defeat their copy protection.

I'll have to get one of these shop manuals at some point.

·
Vendor
3,481 Posts
Discs are dumb. The only drive in my house is an external optical drive I bought that has flawed DRM allowing me to copy UHD blurays to my NAS.

What software is included?
None, just the 2 PDFs and the on-CD PDF reader.
If you have any other "copy protected" Japanese PDFs you will already be familier with the reader tool and its protection.

Do they prevent printing? If not, "Microsoft print to pdf" or "print to paper, then scan" is going to defeat their copy protection.

I'll have to get one of these shop manuals at some point.
Yes they do prevent printing and saving - that's the purpose behind selling a book and preventing copying it.
Defeating the copy protection is not hard - I have a copy of the 2 PDFs on my iPad and my Phone.

The point is someone has to be the one to PAY for the book before it can be given away.

I already PAID, so in my mind all you other cheap ass thieving muthafukkas need to pay as well (y)

·
Registered
78 Posts
None, just the 2 PDFs and the on-CD PDF reader.
If you have any other "copy protected" Japanese PDFs you will already be familier with the reader tool and its protection.

Yes they do prevent printing and saving - that's the purpose behind selling a book and preventing copying it.
Defeating the copy protection is not hard - I have a copy of the 2 PDFs on my iPad and my Phone.

The point is someone has to be the one to PAY for the book before it can be given away.

I already PAID, so in my mind all you other cheap ass thieving muthafukkas need to pay as well (y)
Group buy to get your $$$ 😉

·
Registered
365 Posts
Tone down your conclusion jumping there, yeah?

I have no "fukkin" problem paying $200. Re-read my comment regarding the non-sense of using a disc in 2020. It's surely not for copy-protection, and a flash drive is only going to impact their cost by a few cents.

·
Vendor
3,481 Posts
Tone down your conclusion jumping there, yeah?

I have no "fukkin" problem paying $200. Re-read my comment regarding the non-sense of using a disc in 2020. It's surely not for copy-protection, and a flash drive is only going to impact their cost by a few cents.
No, it really is for copy protection.
Why would I post misinformation or make something up - I haven't done so since I joined the forum, why would I start now?
I don't make statements lightly - when I say something I mean it.

All I said was "I already PAID, so in my mind all you other cheap ass thieving muthafukkas need to pay as well". - and I stand by that statement.

·
Registered
365 Posts
They need new staff if they're relying on obscurity for security. I stand by what I said, too. Using a deprecated tech for "copy protection" that immediately fails to protect against copying is stupid and only creates extra hassle for people that have a modern computer. While referring to people as "cheap ass thieving mothafukkas" may make you edgy, it still a douche move to jump to that conclusion people when rightfully complain there are better ways of distributing data. If only there were other methods of securing data. Some sort of data rights management.

·
Vendor
3,481 Posts
They need new staff if they're relying on obscurity for security. I stand by what I said, too. Using a deprecated tech for "copy protection" that immediately fails to protect against copying is stupid and only creates extra hassle for people that have a modern computer.
Then its a good thing you are nowhere near Honda. You it seems would force users to either maintain online presence to use the documents they purchased or force an install to the laptop you are on - those are nice modern ways to protect the data "rolling my eyes" . Edgy enough for you?

It is not security by obscurity. Its a PDF that needs a specific PDF reader to read. And is pretty useful mechanism to protect PDF documents distributed in a world that is intent on ignoring intellectual property rights.

While referring to people as "cheap ass thieving mothafukkas" may make you edgy, it still a douche move to jump to that conclusion people when rightfully complain there are better ways of distributing data. If only there were other methods of securing data. Some sort of data rights management.
Nope, wasn't meant to be edgy, it was a statement meant to convey that my expectation is that people buy their own copy.
Simple as.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts