Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what I was thinking, but I'll start out by saying that beer, spare parts, and boredom don't mix. And so I thought I'd remove the valve closest to the reservoir on my spare 04-05 rear shock. that schrader valve under the cap on the reservoir should have been a clue it was under pressure, but i forgot all about that and proceeded to spray foamy oil all over myself.

Tried to screw it back down, but the o-ring had gotten pushed out from the pressure and got cut when i screwed the valve back in. So i've gotta get an o-ring, some oil, and some compressed nitrogen. The manual didn't detail how to refill a shock that had been discharged - only how to discharge it (properly) and dispose of it. So can anybody pick up where the book left off?

Also, went to disassemble the my spare set of forks and i don't have a 19mm wrench thin enough to grab the lock nut so I can remove the fork nut and take the slider off. Should i just grind down an open-ended wrench, or is there a better tool to use?

don't ask me why i'm doing this either. guess I just wanted to see in person what forks and shocks looked like on the inside. Figured I could paint the axle holders black or maybe get the pistons TiN'd or something while I had them apart, but really I just want to replace the dried fork seals and maybe get some springs to suit a 150-lb rider. Any suggestions to make the most out of this disassembly, short of buying new suspension? Keep in mind, these are spare forks and shock, and not the ones on my bike, so this is not time sensitive.

·
Registered
329 Posts
have them service them ^
you arent gonna get the rear shock done by yourself.

the fronts are possible to do yourself but you need the special tools.
fork cartridge compressor
damping rod assembly holder
damping rod holder
fork seal driver (43mm)
50cc syringe for setting air gap (not necessary but it sure makes it easier)
you will also need the standard tools used for regular maintenance and a service manual.

suspension is not the kind of thing you should skimp on, and its nothing an inexperienced wrench turner should attempt.
your first post is proof of this ;)

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
youre right about suspension being easy and expensive to screw up, but that's why i'm working on spare parts that cost me very little, and not the ones on my daily driver bike. when i need the body braced and bumpers and links made for my jeep, i can spend 3-4000 like most guys do, or i can spend less on a bender, plasma cutter, a good mig welder, and some DOM, 2x4, angle, and plate. i'll always do my own work wherever possible, because the expense can pay for multiple jobs instead of just the current one. know what i mean?

and if i get soaked in oil or screw something up, it was a learning experience :)

and youre right, i don't know what i'm doing yet, but i had no idea how to take my bike apart when i wrecked last june, and i still wouldn't have any idea if i'd paid someone else to rebuild it. know what i mean?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts