Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, not very good. It's the comparisons that really kills it too:

A local dealer had an open house and did a dyno shootout. Dynojet (250?), was running outdoors - ambient temp was around 65-70.

My CBR1000RR - 2200 miles, broken in the easy way = 130 HP uncorrected - 133 HP STD, corrected. Pump gas(92).

Two stock ZX10s dynoed at 149 HP uncorrected, 152 corrected. Tied for win in the 1000 class. Both were running race gas.

'03 GSXR1000 - Full yosh system + PC3 = 147, 149 HP (again, race gas).

'03 636 - fairly built = 107, 109 HP (won the 600 class, race gas).

Open class won by a 'Busa - 159 HP. My friend's stock 'Busa got 145 HP, but we think it blew the tire on the dyno - it was completely flat 5 minutes later.

We were just filling my tank with some race gas to do another run to see if there was any difference, but they shut down the dyno before I could get in. No other CBR1000s were run that day, so I don't know how they compare. No R1's were run either.

I'll be going to another open house this coming weekend, another dyno shootout, but different dyno (supposedly more accurate overall). I'll try race gas, and I'll probably have a PC3 installed too. We'll also have another CBR1k to run against, so we'll see...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
immortal said:
theJrod said:
2200 miles, broken in the easy way
http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Somehow, I doubt it. I have two friends with RC51s that broke theirs in the easy way, and both posted above average HP numbers. If I had said I broke it in the "hard" way, I'd have people jumping on here telling me that was the problem too... :roll:

And by "easy", I mean kept under 6k for the first 400 miles or so, with gradual increases until about 700 miles, when I finally opened her up. Varied RPM constantly.

·
Registered
502 Posts
theJrod said:
immortal said:
theJrod said:
2200 miles, broken in the easy way
http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Somehow, I doubt it. I have two friends with RC51s that broke theirs in the easy way, and both posted above average HP numbers.

And by "easy", I mean kept under 6k for the first 400 miles or so, with gradual increases until about 700 miles, when I finally opened her up. Varyied RPM constantly.
I don't mind if you doubt that webpage...but do you doubt every pro-racing team that breaks in their race bikes on the dyno doing full throttle runs?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
immortal said:
I don't mind if you doubt that webpage...but do you doubt every pro-racing team that breaks in their race bikes on the dyno doing full throttle runs?
Do you doubt every manufacturer that recommends breaking in a new street bike by taking it easy the first few hundred miles? This arguement can go both ways. I don't ride a race bike that will have it's internals replaced once every few races.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
red02f4i said:
Those numbers seem pretty low. Are you still having the problems with the rough idle and missing that you were having before. It sounds to me like the bike is still not running right.
That's exactly my suspicion. My missing/rough idle has definitely decreased, BUT I'm not sure why. It seemed to do it worse on hot days, and it hasn't been quite as warm here lately. I've also been monitoring which gas stations I go to, and have pretty much gone exclusively with Shell now. Since my more noticable symptoms have decreased, another trip to the dealer wouldn't do me any good.

And even if we get another stock CBR to dyno significantly higher this weekend, that's still not enough for the dealer to do anything.

·
Registered
43 Posts
theJrod said:
immortal said:
Do you doubt every manufacturer that recommends breaking in a new street bike by taking it easy the first few hundred miles? This arguement can go both ways. I don't ride a race bike that will have it's internals replaced once every few races.

OEM's don't care about power output. they care about safety and longevity. you can't tell someone to go run thier bike up to 13k for 20 minutes. that's just asking for lawsuits.

·
Huge Member
707 Posts
I am going to throw in my two cents here. :roll:
As far as break in goes that is all a matter of opinion, I can show you a dozen websites that say beat the hell out of the motor the second it is out of the crate, and I can show you a dozen websites that say be gentle to the motor for the first 8 million miles. It all depends on what you want to believe. Me... I believe that being gentle to the motor for the first 3 or 4 heat cycles (let the motor reach operating temp run in for a while and then let it cool down to cold iron) is more important in conditioning seals and gaskets than watching the RPM level. All of these motors are machined with extraordinarily precise computer guided bores and mills, so the motor is not going have much slop in it. (but what do I know I am as clueless about this stuff as everyone else is, IMO)
As for the Dyno...
I would not be too upset at the first run being low. I would ask a few questions first. How hot was your motor running prior to the run? What tires are you running on yours (believe it or not that makes a difference), how badly beat up was the dyno that day. My point is that dyno measurements can vary by +/- 10 - 15% (which turns into 10-15 hp)due to the enormous amount of variables that have an affect on a motor.
I do not really care what numbers my 1000rr posts I know that it makes enough hp to scare the $hit out of me and smoke just about every :squid: who bought a 10r or r1 because some idiot with a dyno and a printing press said it was the best.
That is just my opinion take it or leave it. I like my bike and would not trade it for any of the new ones out there :twisted:

·
Registered
43 Posts
the reason a lot of people say to run it to the wall is because that's what seats the rings the best (usually). the bearings are broken in with in the first couple minutes. the more compression pressure behind those rings, the better they break in. breaking the motor in slowly, and being too easy on it, can wear down those honing marks before the ring can properly seat. once those honing marks are gone, the walls are too smooth to break in the ring evenly, and may never fully break in.

the biggest quirk i have with breaking a motor in hard is that you don't give the clutch any time to be broken in. if you have kevlar clutches it doesn't really matter, but with the organics they all have to be seated against the plates.

but yeah, it's all really a matter of opinion. it's not like these bikes need that extra couple hp gained or lost by the break in method. piece of mind is more important than those few ponies.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JAB3, very well said.

I'm not worried about being xx many HP down compared to any other bike. If the ZX10s are making xx more HP than the CBR, then that's fine by me.

However, I am worried that my bike may not be running quite right. Since no other CBRs were run yesterday, I can't tell if mine was par for a CBR1000, or if it was low.

If all CBRs were getting 20 less, then I'd feel better, but that's not the case. My bike may not be running quite right, especially given my previous symptoms.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
JAB3 said:
That is just my opinion take it or leave it. I like my bike and would not trade it for any of the new ones out there :twisted:
Now that's the real HONDA spirit... You are perfectly right...
No matter what the dyno maniacs say this is the best machine out there and THE END
Believe me I test ridden all of my 3 candidates:

ZX10R: A perfect toy on the race track, but a killer on the road... :rocker: it's really an impressing bike, but it's power and the control of that is it's weakness
R1: Forgive me to say... but... it's a beautiful piece of... well disappointment :shock: It is powerful, but just keep it above 10K rpm otherwise :nono: It is a demanding bike and needs lot of legwork
1KRR: :king: ...maybe a little bit heavy... at least heavier than the competition, but still lighter than my DUC 999

Of course, as always this could be only my opinion, but hell I AM A HONDA FAN, always had them (except for this Ducati)
Now can't wait to receive my own Blade baby... So :twak: HONDA and start delivering :D

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They say this dyno runs about 10HP low, so that puts me at around 143 HP. The rest of the bikes were running race gas, which may have made the biggest difference.

They'll be running race gas again this weekend, so to get a decent comparison, I guess I'll have to too!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
My buddy has a G1K that he ran at a shootout. His buddy also had the same bike with the same mods. My friend ran race gas in his, and his friend ran standard fuel. The guy with standard fuel was 10HP higer than my friends. It was the first time my friend had run race fuel, and he said it ran like shit. The custom mapping was for standard fuel, and when he put in race fuel, it was totally off what it normally ran like. After reading what LD posted on fuels though, now I'm unsure of how that works. Maybe he should chime in on that because he's obviously taken more time researching that subject than I've ever cared to.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Jrod, your bike doe not seem to run right...you need to stop farting around with the dealer and demand your bike receives attention. I saw your video and the bike does not even idle right. 133HP is way off what anyone to date has run on a dyno. I'm not trying to be an asshole, just think your getting run around and you have a legit complaint. Don't settle for BS answers.

·
Registered
80 Posts
133 HP sounds like pooh! I had a 99 R1 that put out 136 HP stock. Unless that dyno reads waaay low, I would assume there is something amiss in that bike. Nothing against you or your bike, I would just be concerned about that reading a little. That bike should be making 140 HP by 10k. :roll:

·
Registered
80 Posts
133 HP sounds like pooh! I had a 99 R1 that put out 136 HP stock. Unless that dyno reads waaay low, I would assume there is something amiss in that bike. Nothing against you or your bike, I would just be concerned about that reading a little. That bike should be making 140 HP by 10k. :roll:

·
Registered
39 Posts
You can't equate what a race team does to what a street rider or even an occasional trackday rider must do to keep his/her bike intact. Check out any race prep book, especially John Robinson's, or look @ Keith Code's books description of a supersport motors life. Yeah they break them in on the dyno for a number of reasons. Speed of the break-in is one. Then they tear down the motor to build what they will be racing. Equating a race teams break- in procedure to what we do isn't suggested. Try not to believe that the superstock bikes of Kawasaki and Graves Yamaha, that run in AMA etc., aren't modified internally or just off the showroom floor. Otherwise privateers, especially @ their home tracks, would be taking it to the factory riders alot more. Don't believe the hype.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.