Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Can't Spell
338 Posts
I don't think the general Honda buying population will pony up the $50K for a 200hp 1000cc V4 bike. And the reason the Italians have 1100cc V4s for the street is that it is the only way you get 200hp at a reasonable cost.

So if its the cheap way to get power for the Italians then why does it need to cost $50k from Honda?

Take the current I4 1000cc motor. Change nothing except split it into a V4. That would make me happy.

·
Premium Member
2,404 Posts
So if its the cheap way to get power for the Italians then why does it need to cost $50k from Honda?

Take the current I4 1000cc motor. Change nothing except split it into a V4. That would make me happy.
Except the 200hp+ Italians are all 1100cc. The 1000cc 200hp Italian does cost $50K +

And from what I have now been told locally, not that reliable and quite expensive to live with.

·
Can't Spell
338 Posts
Except the 200hp+ Italians are all 1100cc. The 1000cc 200hp Italian does cost $50K +

And from what I have now been told locally, not that reliable and quite expensive to live with.
Good point, and exactly why I'm ok with only 180 or whatever we are at these days in the Honda world. But as it sits right now, if I could afford full insurance on a motorcycle, I'd be buying a new RSV4 asap. Because V4 and exquisite frame. And because I have Honda backups when it breaks down haha

·
Premium Member
2,404 Posts
Good point, and exactly why I'm ok with only 180 or whatever we are at these days in the Honda world. But as it sits right now, if I could afford full insurance on a motorcycle, I'd be buying a new RSV4 asap. Because V4 and exquisite frame. And because I have Honda backups when it breaks down haha
:grin2::stirpot:>:)

·
Premium Member
4,907 Posts
I don't thing the RSV4 is really that unreliable, bit more maintenance. Ask Lois inhere, he has had a really nice one that the tracks for a while and an SP that he tracks too. I have rode Barber with him on his SP. Way back in the 06-06 days Louis, Adam (Shocker on here) and me all had Arata systems and would track them together at Jennings, another beautiful sound with the 3 of them. My VFR with FMF Apex cans on it sounds like a small block V8 race car, I want something like that on a CBR one day.

·
Can't Spell
338 Posts
I don't thing the RSV4 is really that unreliable, bit more maintenance.
Yeah, like new valve springs every 1200 miles if your racing. Thats what Aprilia told my buddy after his broke around 1600 miles from new.
I've literally never been to a trackday without a RSV4 trying, and failing, to start at some point.
I know at least 2 people with full engine replacements via warranty that are not related to the recalled motors when they first came over.

All in all, they are giant steaming piles of unreliable crap. Don't care. NEED one in my life.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Honda's attention is on the SxS market now. That and Goldwings... oh, and the Africa Twin.

They seem to be into making safe money these days.

That's a fact-Not enough people are buying state of the art, bleeding edge sports machines (and this is a world wide problem) to justify the kind of expense their development requires, at least if you have an accountant working at your company. We can talk about Aprilia and their continued development of the RSV, but take a look at Piaggio's credit rating sometime (hint- don't loan them anything, and keep a sharp eye on your valuables if they stop by for a drink). No matter the manufacturer, big tourers and ADV bikes are where the money is at (hell, my brother has an Africa Twin, loves the thing), even small displacement kinda sport-ish bikes outsell the 1000's by a horribly depressing margin. And the machines I hate the most (SxS), are a license to steal money from obese drunks. I think for a lot of companies, superbikes have kind of become like the Corvette/Viper/GT- things to get people excited about the brand while they're plonking down for some hateful heap of crap CUV.

·
Premium Member
4,907 Posts
Yeah, like new valve springs every 1200 miles if your racing. Thats what Aprilia told my buddy after his broke around 1600 miles from new.
I've literally never been to a trackday without a RSV4 trying, and failing, to start at some point.
I know at least 2 people with full engine replacements via warranty that are not related to the recalled motors when they first came over.

All in all, they are giant steaming piles of unreliable crap. Don't care. NEED one in my life.
Funny as there are several guys on here with them that track them regularly, Louis (Hitman) is one and they don't have these problems. I did a track day Sunday and there were probably8-10 RSV4's out there in A group. I only talked to 2 of them but they loved the bike and have had no trouble in 2 years of track only riding.

·
Premium Member
4,907 Posts

So your post in this thread about a RSV4 needs to be revised? Post #6 lol

https://www.1000rr.net/forums/1000rr-general-discussion/249601-sold-my-1000rr.html

·
Can't Spell
338 Posts
So your post in this thread about a RSV4 needs to be revised? Post #6 lol

https://www.1000rr.net/forums/1000rr-general-discussion/249601-sold-my-1000rr.html
Why because I was off by 200 miles on when his valve spring broke last year? Your really diggin here.....

Yes, I have known several people online who claim great reliability. I have known none in person. Kinda like the guy who walked on my lot and told us his 120,000 mile range rover was the most reliable vehicle he's ever owned. In the auto industry, you just know that's not true. But I'm sure it was for him. Its happens.

·
Premium Member
4,907 Posts
And very reliable machines will have problem children too. I'm just not sold that they are considered unreliable as I know several people with them, tracked with a bunch of them and have read a bit on Ape forum. More maintenance for sure. But if your tracking or racing your doing a bunch anyways.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My belief is that the poor dealer support from Aprilia doesn't help with any reliability claims. If you have a failure on your RSV4 and then it sits for weeks, while the dealer waits for parts, it isn't going to give you any warm and fuzzies. My local Ducati/BMW dealer ended up dropping Aprilia for just this reason.

·
Ghostrider
326 Posts
Aprilia engines since 2015 are getting better and better , BMW still shitty , Ducati a bit better , KTM for few stuff even worst

·
Can't Spell
338 Posts
I have not heard of any BMW problems before today....at least not in the motorcycle world haha

·
Ghostrider
326 Posts
I have not heard of any BMW problems before today....at least not in the motorcycle world haha
You must be damn deaf as it´s one of the motorcycles company with the higher failure ratio , public and hide recalls . :th_SmlyROFL:

41 - 60 of 82 Posts