Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case you haven't read the issue yet, they have a literbike shootout that makes the 1000rr look pretty much ridiculous. If I'm correct the 1000rr was last in every category except one. Not only that , performance numbers aside, the rest of the bike didn't get much praise either. This was the ranking:

1) Kaw
2) Yam
3)Honda (by a slim margin)
4)Suz

About the only positive I could take from the write-up was one of the reviewers saying the Honda is good if it's your first literbike (it is).

What do you guys think, this is 2 bad reviews inside of a week?
Death knell for sales?
Honda bias?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Death kneel??? Not likely. All the black RR's at my dealer are sold as are 4/5 red. Theres still R1's at the other dealer (dont know about 10R's, another, very crappy dealer.) Have heard rumors that some of the R1's have been returned though...and not beacuse of mechanical faults.
The people who buy bikes strictly because of U.S. magazine articles are scary. They shouldnt have a bike at all.
Either go with what you like, ride them all and find out which you like, or research and get a broad band of reviews, listening to the tid bits and not the overviews.
For me I was split between the R1 and the RR and looked at the tid bits from all over. The RR had the 3 things I was looking for; stability, smoothness and handling ("like a 600".) Being Honda was just an added bonus.

As for bias? I didnt believe it before but the reviews from sportrider and to a lesser extent, motorcyclist, made me a believer. In all the other reviews, from riders, the media and professionals (ben bostrom, 'the best bike I've ever ridden') have all put the RR in the zone or sometimes above the competitors.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Picked up a couple of the American trash mag's last night (Including Sport Rider), haven't had a chance to look through them yet. Not surprised though, they are usually way off base in their "Opinions" from what I've experienced. Most of the Euro mag's seem to give a fair review (Good or bad), without sucking on anyone's teet too much. I get the American mag's for the pretty pictures... :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a deposit on the black and I'm not changing that, I don't buy "based on magazine articles" . But it would be nice to see a favorable review ............... no ?
P.S. Vigis , you say to ride them all and see which one you like....do you know a dealer who is offering test rides like that...if so please advise....thanx.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Mags

Hey everyone.....
My first post here WooHoo
Anyway, I've been reading all the mags for the last few months trying to decide which one I really want. I was able to test ride an 04 R1 and it was nice. Then I went and just sat on the RR and it was right. Just got of the phone with dealer ship and I'm picking up the black one on Sat. :rocker:

·
Registered
33 Posts
i think reviews matter!

such as the mixed reviews on the suzuki sv1000 (some love it, some OK, some hate it) pushed it off my list

the "pork" factor that all the reviews talk of, does bother me; weight is always an issue imo. but reading between the lines the RR does get a consistent thumbs-up for it's ability to put the power to the pavement with great stability

and looks wise, side by side i even like the black more than the stunningly beautiful red R1 so cosmetics shouldn't hold it back

and lastly, word of mouth matters; wom on the RR is "yea baby" 8)
i think honda will do fine

·
Registered
425 Posts
I think we should all keep it to ourselves out great the bike is. I dont need to see every other guy riding down the street on my bike. It would be nice if the honda weighed roughly the same as the other's but from what I've heard most of the weight difference is in the stock exhaust. The yamaha and the kawasaki have titanium exhaust and the honda has steel, correct? We all obviously made the choice for the honda for similar reasons, and it wasn't so that we could brag we had the most hp. I do read the reviews but like I've said before I kinda read between the lines and listen for things i want in a bike, not necessarily their overall opinion on which one is the best. Stability, smoothness, quality, easy to ride was important since this is my first liter bike. Nothing I've read about the other bikes makes me want to go buy one of them over the honda except the weight but when you ride the 1000rr it does not feel heavy. Anyone think the bike feels heavy?

·
Registered
738 Posts
I picked up three Euro mags today. One had a review of the liter bikes (Fast Bikes)....according to their dyno runs, the RR was second to the ZX10 then the R1 with the G1K coming in last. The ZX10 was a few ponies more...the other three were all so closely grouped. When they had to make a decision of the best one...they said it would come down to the R1 and the RR. So, their reports are so much more believable as far as stats go.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Being that the 12 bombed from how the mags trashed it, I don't doubt they sent a "ringer" to the mags for the 10! Thay could give this bike 160rwhp if they wanted to. We'll see what Cycleworld says....I have more faith in them, but trusting the Euro mags is best I'd say!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Aftermarket exhaust will drop 15 lbs and add 8-10 hp. That puts it on par power wise and really narrows the gap weight wise. When you take into accout the size of the radiator and the beef of the frame and swingarm compared to the other bikes, the RR makes great sense all around. You can easily shed 25 lbs in the aftermarket and if anyone here "needs" more than 150 ponies out of the crate, you should be out lookinf for a factory ride. People that buy bikes based on reviews and for bragging rights shouldn't be involved in this sport. I would take the Honda bone stock over any of the other three any day of the week and twice on Sunday. The most reliable, the most beautiful, the most well-rounded (they are "street bikes" for most), the most beautiful and the most potential in the aftermarket. Its a no brainer if you ask me. Just my .02.

·
Registered
202 Posts
just picked up a issue of bike magazine, also read the performance bikes shootout and previously read the fast bikes liter bike preview/shootout, all european magazines. in all the mags, somehow they are not too impressed with the zx10 as a road bike, bike mag, loved the cbr and pretty much gave it the best rating,also fast bikes and performace bikes did not like the kawi as a road bike either.im happy with my 1k and dont really care what the mags say, i had an opportunity to purchase a zx10 before i bought the cbr, but i waited and bought the bike i liked better. besides, i can always switch with my bud and ride his zx10 for a different ride

·
Registered
526 Posts
RaceReady1000 said:
I have a deposit on the black and I'm not changing that, I don't buy "based on magazine articles" . But it would be nice to see a favorable review ............... no ?
P.S. Vigis , you say to ride them all and see which one you like....do you know a dealer who is offering test rides like that...if so please advise....thanx.
Dont I wish...Then again I havent asked either. Best bet is to have a friend who bought one type of deal. Thats always been a beef of mine with motorcycles, hard to get a test ride thus we're usually stuck with here-say.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think the magazines are somewhat biased from what I have read in them compared to what I have heard from my buddy who just bought his 1000rr. Recently I visited a friends shop who races professionally and he has been racing the suzuki gsxr 1000 for years and he is getting a cbr 1000rr race ready for his next race at the end of may. He is switching from suzuki to honda, and he told me out of all the liter bikes released this year the 1000rr is hands down the best bike he has ever ridden. I'll take his word over some silly magazine any day. I can't wait to get my silver/black 1000rr in may, just my two cents and I just wanted to let everyone know a professionals word carry's alot more weight in my book than a magazine.

·
Registered
776 Posts
First of all how may of us ever got the #'s with any bike we have owned? I never have. The mags can give us a general idea and you start to learn which mags like what and prefer in there "best bikes". As Far as the bad press on the RR whatever if you are going racing(road racing) then be concerned. But on the street the closeness of all these bikes can be made up with rider ability. As for adding a pipe to drop weight and add hp granted thats great if you are running against stock ZX and R1's. The RR is either for you or not. Just think these right ups on the RR will keep the squids on zx-10!! :banban:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Why doesn't the Honda make more power?...well, reliability! Just look at the HP figures as compared to the bike engine compression ratios among this year's liter bikes:

RR: 11.9:1
R1: 12.3:1
ZX10: 12.7:1

I the Honda bumped the compression up a bit, it'd make as much power as the Kwak, but it would also be as reliable as the kwak :(

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had a deposit down on the ZX-10. After you get over the initial rush of "this things got a lot of power" you have to live with it every day. It's got poor fit and finish, the gauges suck, that clutch cable obscures part of the instrument panel and looks awful, plastic parts all over, it makes a lot of noise (gear whine, valve clatter etc), the mirrors blow, old style exhaust and it is tiny which = uncomfortable. I just sold my ZX-12 so I am familiar with Kawi's. The Honda is just a better finished product all around. There are a lot of people on other boards saying they are doing 160mph wheelies and pulling away from busa's at 170. Sorry, find that hard to believe. I live in upsate NY and you can barely find a road around here that you wouldn't take your life in your hands at that speed if you could even find the right road and conditions to do it. Point is that most of us cannot use the power of any of these bikes. If 150HP in a 396lb package isn't enough for the street, something is seriously wrong. My 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.