Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Honda CBR 1000rr non ABS
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering going with a sport touring tire this time around and wanted some input from those who have them, have had them, and what their thought are.

I'm leaning towards the Dunlop Roadsmart 3 but also in the running are Pirelli Angel GT 2 and Michelin Road 5.
Reviews on the RS 3 is a sport bike tire with touring mileage, consistent feel throughout life of tire (some are reporting 12k miles on a rear and over 20k on front) and a crazy grippy tire at max lean.

·
Hook 'em!
2,868 Posts
I've got a Battlax T31 rear on my CB1000R (commuter) and on my pre 2017 CBRs I ran Battlax BT023 rear / BT016 fronts. I also used a set of Michelin sport touring tires (can't remember the exact model). I can get my knee down on the street at recommended cold tire pressures. Modern touring tires with their multi-layer compounds have soft shoulders and more grip than folks that are afraid to try them realize.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that's exactly my thinking in looking into a sport touring tire this go around. The technology has come so far from even 5 years ago they are basically track day tires at lean and a high mileage touring tire upright. At least that's what my take is from reading all the reviews

·
Hook 'em!
2,868 Posts
Yeah that's exactly my thinking in looking into a sport touring tire this go around. The technology has come so far from even 5 years ago they are basically track day tires at lean and a high mileage touring tire upright. At least that's what my take is from reading all the reviews
I also did a track day on a 2009 CBR with a BT023 rear. I could break the rear loose with enough throttle and lean angle, but that can be done with any tire with a lot of throttle and lean angle.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I'm gonna give the Dunlop RS 4's a go.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So when looking into sport touring tires, specifically Dunlop RS 4's, I noticed the recommended wheel width is smaller than our CBR's. As an example the rear tire is recommended for 5.5 inch wheels, CBR is a 6 inch wheel.

How are people mounting these to wider wheels without an issue?

·
Registered
122 Posts
What matters is the tire width. Is it a 190? If it is then it will fit no issue. Even a 180 will fit ok although the handling will be altered.

Reactions: 2015HRC

·
a d m i n
151,039 Posts
I had the Michelin Road 4's on my former ZX-14R, and they were great for commuting/super-high mileage/wet weather. They also worked well in the twisties, giving me sufficient confidence, moving along at a healthy clip, all on a very heavy moto.
I'm sure any of the top brands are fine, but if I had a moto I was mainly commuting with, the PR5's would def. be my choice.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the Michelin Road 4's on my former ZX-14R, and they were great for commuting/super-high mileage/wet weather. They also worked well in the twisties, giving me sufficient confidence, moving along at a healthy clip, all on a very heavy moto.
I'm sure any of the top brands are fine, but if I had a moto I was mainly commuting with, the PR5's would def. be my choice.
Thank, I will give them a look

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a lot of experience with many ST tires on my various other bikes. If you are not powering hard off tight curves you'll be fine. I consistently run my bikes, even my FJR, to the edges of the tread in 100 mile sweepers.

The RSIII I ran once on one of my 1600 BMWs. Many of the guys swear by that tire. I thought it was okay, but no better than the others. The Road 5 handled well and lasted longer than most, but the front tire "scalloped" badly on my FJR, but wore fine on my Superduke. I've had several sets of Pirelli GTs with mixed results. I just replaced Avon Storm 3Ds with another of the same on my FJR and got great mileage and no handling or funky wear issues.

Having said all that, I love Diablo Rossa IIIs and have them on the back of my CBR and Ninja 1000 now, waiting for the front OEMs to wear out. While it is not considered a sport Touring tire, I'm getting pretty close to the same miles out of them. Maybe because of the light weight of the 1199 Panigale I had. I've got about 3,500 miles on it on my CBR and am very happy with it but not enough miles to predict how long it will last. I got 8,000 miles on the Panigale.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been running the Pirelli DR 3's since I bought the bike and am happy with everything but the mileage.
I currently have 9k miles on the front tire and had 6k on the rear when I replaced it.
Great tire, just may be Overkill for me.

·
Hook 'em!
2,868 Posts
I have been running the Pirelli DR 3's since I bought the bike and am happy with everything but the mileage.
I currently have 9k miles on the front tire and had 6k on the rear when I replaced it.
Great tire, just may be Overkill for me.
I got 4,153 miles on a S21 rear on my 2017 CBR1000S1 before it was toast.

·
a d m i n
151,039 Posts
I’m approaching 4K miles on a set of Michelin Power RS’s, (they are near the end of their life), rode hard 80% of that. Def. not ST tires.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Honestly I just don't ride the bike hard enough to push the limits of a true super sport tire and figure if a sport touring tire has plenty of grip for me with the added bonus of double or more miles in between changes and cost slightly more then why wouldn't I give them a go?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MEtzler Roadtec01 gets great reviews over here. worth Looking it up
Yep I've been looking at those as well.
Seems in the sport touring segment there are an abundance of options all with great reviews and worth giving them a go

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
I replaced a set of PR4 tires last year with another of the same type. They lasted slightly over 17,000 miles and I probably could have made it to 20,000 but I was concerned that they were about 5 years old and the rubber getting old.

·
Hook 'em!
2,868 Posts
I replaced a set of PR4 tires last year with another of the same type. They lasted slightly over 17,000 miles and I probably could have made it to 20,000 but I was concerned that they were about 5 years old and the rubber getting old.
Which part of your rear tire has the most wear, the center or the shoulders?

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Which part of your rear tire has the most wear, the center or the shoulders?
The center. Here's a pic of the rear the day I replaced it, after 17,351 miles and nearly 6 years of use. Also, I made a mistake in what tires I originally said. They were PR3's not PR4's. The PR4's are what's on there now.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The center. Here's a pic of the rear the day I replaced it, after 17,351 miles and nearly 6 years of use. Also, I made a mistake in what tires I originally said. They were PR3's not PR4's. The PR4's are what's on there now.

View attachment 260480
That's just crazy!
My current set of Pirelli DR3's are worn significantly more than yours, I put them on in April this year. Have under 5k miles on the rear.
Made up my mind, it's a sport touring tire this go around

1 - 20 of 25 Posts