Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

101 - 120 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi 1900, I'm in a similar position to you. I'm picking up an 05 today. I live in NZ and the bike's a UK import. I checked with the dealer here and they won't honour the warranty as Honda NZ only deal with the VIN numbers that were first registered in NZ. The bike was given the all clear by the shop yesterday, but I think it's just a matter of time with these bikes, isn't it? Good luck with yours anyway.
Nooo! Thanks for the info, but that's not great news for me!:sad010:
I'll get onto that dealer here I mentioned, and hopefully he might do a trick. Really dont feel like paying for the parts, I need tyres and I wanted to get a Power Commander soon!
I've had some correspondence over the years with a bike shop in USA, where my bike is from. He's not a Honda dealer AFAIK but he might know someone.
There's no dot punch under my VIN, so it will probably come up on their system as "not yet replaced", and hopefully the fact that it was exported wont come in to it :fingers crossed:

Check for a dot punch under your VIN to see if it's been replaced, or check the VIN against the list of affected bikes.
Your's might never go faulty, if it does and if I think of any dealer I know in the UK, let me know if I can help.
Meanwhile, best thing you can do is keep the revs up! lol
Cool stuff, enjoy the '05 and biking in NZ! thanks:th_salute:

·
Registered
20 Posts
The stator problem extends to the 06/07, with mine starting to play up at around 20000 kms. When it went, it blew across two phases, but initially dropped one.
I had my re-wound by a guy, who claims his design eliminates the problem, and having some engineering experience, he answered my questions to my liking, and the finished product also backed up what I think is a standard inbuilt fault.
Dont see the point in replacing a faulty Honda stator with the same part.

·
1bdrr
24 Posts
stator

yes mine just went out yesterday took it to the shop to see if it was covered ,i have pc3 ,led lights hope they cover it thought i would say thanks to this forum ,look up info to trouble shoot and brought me up here say the warrenty that i didnt recieve thanks all wish me luck ,and back at you all.

·
Registered
50 Posts
yes mine just went out yesterday took it to the shop to see if it was covered ,i have pc3 ,led lights hope they cover it thought i would say thanks to this forum ,look up info to trouble shoot and brought me up here say the warrenty that i didnt recieve thanks all wish me luck ,and back at you all.
I think the OEM stators were faulty from the get go, and WILL fail especially if you do a lot of city riding in warmer conditions. Mine failed a few months ago and I basically ended up getting an aftermarket which is pretty awesome. I think RMStator makes it. You should look into it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks to this thread I found out that I still have some time before the warranty expires on my 05. Got the bike a few weeks ago. Previous owner stated due to bike sitting in the garage for a long period of time, battery was drained. He provided me with a "new" battery he bought in 2009. I have been using that battery and have no problem so far. I will keep riding and have stator checked out a little toward the end of the warranty...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Checking the stator really is as easy as removing the cover, which is a simple job. (Disclaimer against anyone who doesnt have the basic skills :p)

If I get a chance, and figure out how, I'll upload the photo's of mine, with the blown phases. From my experience, and checking spare parts at Honda, they are wired with an inherent flaw, and this is not just a Honda defect... most models are produced this way...

I am installing a new stator cover in a few weeks, so will check to see if the "upgraded" aftermarket rewind is holding up well.

·
Resident Nobody
413 Posts
Well, I had this issue a couple of weeks ago. Honda first said they were not going to cover the repair as my warranty expired on memorial day weekend (right when my stator melted down!). I called them on Tuesday, after the holiday, and was told to talk to the dealer and and their Honda rep and see if they will make an exception.

It came down to the Honda Rep coming to the dealership to look at my bike. It is a good thing for me that I maintain my bike! As the Rep was hoping my bike was a POS so they could deny the claim. However, my bike is very well maintained and looks damn good for an 04.

Thank you Honda for fixing it and saving me the money! I will take that money and use it to go to the mountains again!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Well, I had this issue a couple of weeks ago. Honda first said they were not going to cover the repair as my warranty expired on memorial day weekend (right when my stator melted down!). I called them on Tuesday, after the holiday, and was told to talk to the dealer and and their Honda rep and see if they will make an exception.

It came down to the Honda Rep coming to the dealership to look at my bike. It is a good thing for me that I maintain my bike! As the Rep was hoping my bike was a POS so they could deny the claim. However, my bike is very well maintained and looks damn good for an 04.

Thank you Honda for fixing it and saving me the money! I will take that money and use it to go to the mountains again!
I have an 05, and it finally went a few months back with 18,400 miles on it. The warranty covered it, but I had to print it out from here, cause they knew nothing of a stator issue :rolleyes:

·
Registered
65 Posts
The stator problem extends to the 06/07, with mine starting to play up at around 20000 kms. When it went, it blew across two phases, but initially dropped one.
I had my re-wound by a guy, who claims his design eliminates the problem, and having some engineering experience, he answered my questions to my liking, and the finished product also backed up what I think is a standard inbuilt fault.
Dont see the point in replacing a faulty Honda stator with the same part.
I think part of the problem with the '04-'05 bikes, was the dimensions, and possibly the design, of the original flywheel (rotor) fitted. This was updated with a new part, which was then fitted to all '06-'07 bikes, and on all warranty replacements on the '04-'05 bikes.
I've just read on an aftermarket stator suppliers website (RM Stator), that they cannot warranty their stators for the '04-'05 1000RR, unless the warranty work has been carried out by Honda.
This tells me that RM Stator will only provide a warranty on their stators if you are using the updated Honda flywheel. (or, they know there's a good chance their stators might fail if fitted to an original '04-'05 flywheel)

So for a '04-'05 owner it might be a waste of time fitting an aftermarket, or a professionally re-wound/repaired, stator if they're still using the original flywheel.
It's nice to know if a rewound unit will work well on the newer flywheel though, do you think any decent rewind shop would be able to design an improved winding?

Checking the stator really is as easy as removing the cover, which is a simple job. (Disclaimer against anyone who doesnt have the basic skills :p)

If I get a chance, and figure out how, I'll upload the photo's of mine, with the blown phases. From my experience, and checking spare parts at Honda, they are wired with an inherent flaw, and this is not just a Honda defect... most models are produced this way...

I am installing a new stator cover in a few weeks, so will check to see if the "upgraded" aftermarket rewind is holding up well.
You can check a stator electrically, by locating the 3 pin plug behind the middle fairing panel, and checking for uniform restistance readings between all 3 poles of the stator, and checking there is no continuity between any of the poles and the ground of the bike (battery negative):th_salute:

I have an 05, and it finally went a few months back with 18,400 miles on it. The warranty covered it, but I had to print it out from here, cause they knew nothing of a stator issue :rolleyes:
I'm seriously jealous now, I just got turned down on the grounds that my bike was exported from the US to here in Ireland.
If I could get the bike back over to there I could probably get it sorted!!:th_SmlyROFL:

(Anybody know a friendly dealer in the States that could even secure the parts for me? My VIN is on the list of affected bikes and I dont have a dot punch mark on the frame)

I think the OEM stators were faulty from the get go, and WILL fail especially if you do a lot of city riding in warmer conditions. Mine failed a few months ago and I basically ended up getting an aftermarket which is pretty awesome. I think RMStator makes it. You should look into it.
Are you still on the original flywheel?
Did you read the bit about RM not providing a warranty if used on the older flywheel, or what do you make of it?
If that's the case, I'd be interested to know how you get on,
so many stories about repeated stator failures but not much solid info about what flywheel they were using.

·
Registered
95 Posts
2004 CBR1000RR (49-state)
JH2SC570*4M000023 thru JH2SC570*4M006812

2004 CBR1000RR (CA)
JH2SC571*4M000016 thru JH2SC571*4M001407

2005 CBR1000RR (49-state)
JH2SC570*5M100007 thru JH2SC570*5M104196

2005 CBR1000RR (49-state Repsol)
JH2SC574*5M100001 thru JH2SC574*5M101509

2005 CBR1000RR (CA)
JH2SC571*5M100001 thru JH2SC571*5M101334

2005 CBR1000RR (CA Repsol)
JH2SC575*5M100001 thru JH2SC575*5M100522

American Honda has determined that the
ACG/charging system (stator and flywheel) on
affected 2004-2005 CBR1000RR models may
overheat and cause a short circuit, resulting in
insufficient battery charging.
To ensure customer satisfaction, American
Honda is extending the warranty an additional
six years for the ACG only.
If a customer complains that the battery of
their 2004-2005 CBR1000RR is not recharging
properly, proceed to the INSPECTION section
of this Service Bulletin.

All 2004-2005 CBR1000RR customers within
the affected VIN range will receive a letter
notifying them of the extended warranty.
I seem to have the same problem on my 04 1000RR @16k miles. Honda Hungary is absolutely unwilling to admit any kind of liability for this, or that any such extended warranty should exist. :beat:
:th_down:

·
Registered
18 Posts
mate ive had enough of this bullshit with honda,ive had 3 stators go on me and t honda wont come to the party and admit there there CRAP stators that will fail no matter what and leave THOUSANDS of stranded CBR owners who bought there bikes in good faith but cant enjoy going for a decent ride with out the stator failing and having to trailor the bikehome,then trailor it to honda dealer just for them to look atitand say no we replaced stator already with another one just as shit as the firstone so you dont get anymore and have to buy another one which will fail if your ride your bikein summer as it will overheat and melt:beat:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Folks, the only answer to melted stators is a Compu-Fire regulator - regardless of bike model, if your stators overheat and melt the insulation on their wiring, this is the only definite solution.

Compu-Fire series regulator vs. shunt regulator

All stock regulators on Hondas (and other brands) have to regulate voltage from the stator down to ~14.8 volts. At high rpm, your stator is putting out well over 100 volts, so the regulator needs to "Regulate" that down to 14.8. It does this by shorting out one or more phases of the stator, which causes the stator to keep generating power but just feed back on itself. This generates heat, which degrades the ceramic insulation on the wires and eventually causes it to stop generating power.

A switch-mode regulator does not short out the stator. Rather, it completely disconnects it so that it's an open circuit and effectively "off". When it's off, it's not generating heat.

Also, this has horsepower benefits because whenever you generate power in a stator it acts like a magnetic brake. If you turn the stator off - make it an open circuit - then it no longer causes motor braking.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I seem to have the same problem on my 04 1000RR @16k miles. Honda Hungary is absolutely unwilling to admit any kind of liability for this, or that any such extended warranty should exist. :beat:
:th_down:
UPDATE:
In spite of stating the opposite in advance, Honda Hungary did replace my stator (yes, it was the stator, of course) for free.
This is happy, happy, good news.
However, what you guys have written is not so promising. Another heat wave like the one we had (like the one you have over there on the east coast) and the stator may say goodbye again. :sad010:

I think I will look into this smart regulator issue.

·
Registered
595 Posts
UPDATE:
In spite of stating the opposite in advance, Honda Hungary did replace my stator (yes, it was the stator, of course) for free.
This is happy, happy, good news.
However, what you guys have written is not so promising. Another heat wave like the one we had (like the one you have over there on the east coast) and the stator may say goodbye again. :sad010:

I think I will look into this smart regulator issue.
:umm: Relax there buddy. I live in Vegas, ride my bike almost daily. Original stator lasted 18,500 miles. I have an 05, covered under warranty. New one is just fine. I ride in 115* heat and in traffic.

·
Pushin Limits
1,822 Posts
Mods are you seeing this???????????^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
28 Posts
What now

Before I found out bout the stator problem, brought a new battery. That didn't work. Replaced the rectifier. That didn't work. Took it to the shop today to be told their is:s no service campaign on my bike 04 vin # 4m002117 and it'll be 400.00 bucks:shoot:. HAs anyone had any luck contacting Honda?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Before I found out bout the stator problem, brought a new battery. That didn't work. Replaced the rectifier. That didn't work. Took it to the shop today to be told their is:s no service campaign on my bike 04 vin # 4m002117 and it'll be 400.00 bucks:shoot:. HAs anyone had any luck contacting Honda?
It clearly states that there is on the first page. Your bike might be out of time though. Either way bring them the print out. The bright shop I brought it to had no idea either, so I had to print it off of here and show them. They called Honda and took care of it.

·
OldGuy
4 Posts
WooHoo! Got notice from Honda that the stator I just replaced on my 07 is now covered the same way as the 04-05's! $140 plus labor back in my pocket!

101 - 120 of 136 Posts