Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
WooHoo! Got notice from Honda that the stator I just replaced on my 07 is now covered the same way as the 04-05's! $140 plus labor back in my pocket!
what documentation did you need to bring in to get reimbursed?

·
Speed Mach Go Go
1,269 Posts
what documentation did you need to bring in to get reimbursed?
My sugestion is call Honda USA directly and they can tell you by your VIN if it's covered and if it's still under the extension. The dealer can easily call Honda themselves if they are unaware. My dealer was unaware and I asked them to call Honda. They said if it's not they would have to charge me and I had to sign the bill beforehand. I knew it was covered, so it didn't bother me. When I picked it up, charge was waived. I beleive it's a 5 year extension, so even if your VIN is on the list the extension could have expired by now.

·
OldGuy
4 Posts
They sent me all the paper work needed. I just included my receipt for the part. I bought the bike new from a Honda dealer so they had my address on file.
UPDATE: Received $140 check from Honda to cover the Rick's stator I put in. (which has now failed)So, I am yet again waiting for these to be "in stock". The bike has 41k miles on it without a hitch, then bam! two stators fail within 3k miles. The prelim test to the reg/rect all showed nominal specs. No signs of overheating @ the plug to the rect..Wondering if the main ground strap could me a little muffed...hell, I don't know..I've got a freakin degree in Electronics, but I cannot find the reason for the repeated failure. Both the Honda OEM and Rick's "fixed" stator have failed. The reason Honda states for the failures it too much output from the stator itself, the "fix" is a stator with a reduced number of windings. 350w OEM vs 320w Ricks.. Any other Ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Having a degree in Electronics means you should know, anything with windings can fail if there is just one bad winding. Sometimes it takes a while before the bad winding is evident. Unfortunetly since you bought an aftermarket unit, you will have to go to them for a new one not Honda.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Excuse me! I'm from thailand.I have cbr1000 04. My motorcyc have problem. Alternator Stator was damage 2 time in the one year .who have solution with this damage please tell me back

i replace newAlternator Stator every time
i was recheck regulate.it normal

thank you so much ,help me please
email : [email protected]
facebook : sunchut tapo

·
Registered
18 Posts
Fellas,
My stator seems to be faulty and I do believe I'm in the vin-range for this recall. Gonna call my local dealer tomorrow when they're open, but can anyone on here either confirm or deny if I'll still be covered under this recall extension?

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Fellas,
My stator seems to be faulty and I do believe I'm in the vin-range for this recall. Gonna call my local dealer tomorrow when they're open, but can anyone on here either confirm or deny if I'll still be covered under this recall extension?
Did you read everything in the first post in this thread? The last part that I quoted below might cause them to deny a free repair. It doesn't hurt to try though. Don't mention anything about the 7 years when you talk to them.

Before you begin the repair procedure, check
to see if the unit has already been repaired.
• If there is a punch mark below the first letter
of the VIN, the unit has been repaired. If
the customer complains of a charging
problem, proceed with normal troubleshooting.
• If there is no punch mark below the first
letter of the VIN, the unit has not been
repaired. Proceed to the INSPECTION section
of this Service Bulletin.
NOTE: This is a warranty extension, NOT a
product update. It is your responsibility to
make sure the VIN is within the seven year
period of the unit’s purchase and delivery
date to the customer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm glad I found this site. My 07 cbr 1000 has eatin stators its whole life . (So did my 929 prior to this bike.)
No support from my local dealer they never even mentioned recalls . The 929 went thru 4 over its 98000 km
And my 07 1000 is on its third @ 88000km.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rick's Motorsports seems to recommend using the 2006 version of the flywheel (which is different from the parts number of Honda's article in the OP).

Here's the timeline trace of the flywheel part number which I have gathered so far
  • 2004-2005 : 31110-MEL-003 (2004) —> 31100-MEL-305 —> 31100-MEL-315 —> 06311-MEL-305 (Extended warranty replacement)
  • 2006 : 31110-MEL-D21
Questions:
  1. Parts replacement: The Honda extended warranty version (of the flywheel + stator) costs around $400 while the 2006 version can be gotten for under $100. Which one would you recommend?
  2. Should this be done preventively or should I leave it alone if mine is a 2005 ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have edited my posts to clarify it more.
I meant the costs of the parts for the recall/update is around $400 while I can get the 2006 flywheel (new) for around $100.

·
Super-Moderator
537 Posts
I have edited my posts to clarify it more.
I meant the costs of the parts for the recall/update is around $400 while I can get the 2006 flywheel (new) for around $100.
I re-read it before you edited it, and it makes sense.

Apologies, as I’m not current on those year motos, but I’m sure many here are, and will respond.

121 - 136 of 136 Posts