Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was grabbed sometime between late night on July 6th and early morning on July 7th. I'd only had it for two months. Yes, I have full insurance coverage. Just asking folks to keep an eye out.

Just put 'brand new' Bridgestone BATTLAX HYPERSPORT S22 tires on it. Also has a new Zero Gravity Sport Touring Light Smoke Windscreen.

Attachments

·
SuperMod
722 Posts
IMO, cops have a good view into what might have happened, what the chances of recovery are, etc.
They deal with stolen stuff often enough to gauge if they are stolen for joy riding, parting, etc.

I'm curious as what cops said in your area.

·
a d m i n
2018 Honda CBR SP
151,068 Posts
Was grabbed sometime between late night on July 6th...Just asking folks to keep an eye out.
That's horrible, hombre, I am sorry to hear. Perhaps post up the VIN, and the location/general area, it was nicked from?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IMO, cops have a good view into what might have happened, what the chances of recovery are, etc.
They deal with stolen stuff often enough to gauge if they are stolen for joy riding, parting, etc.

I'm curious as what cops said in your area.
Nothing really, the guy who took my report basically gave me the impression that if it wasn't stolen for a joyride and ends up getting dumped somewhere in the city that I'll never see it again. I have yet to hear back from the BPD Auto Theft Unit. My insurance agent said that they give it two weeks and if it doesn't show up they'll declare the loss. I honestly didn't think a 2004 Honda CBR would be on anyone's radar, everywhere I read it's all about late model bikes being snatched. I just don't see the value in stealing a 16 year old motorcycle that probably wouldn't get the thief $500 at a chop shop, maybe $750 since it had brand new tires. But I am new to motorcycles and am unfamiliar with what they are worth in parts. It has the first generation engine, the first generation fairing design.

I was really irked by having it stolen so shortly after getting new tires. Maybe that painted a bigger target on my bike. I picked up the Bridgestone Hypersport S22's and was really enjoying them. They transformed the way the bike behaved all around, ride was smoother and less jarring. Cornering improved considerably, I didn't have to fight the suspension so much. When I bought it, it had mismatched tires. The front was a BT106 from 2013 (yikes) and the rear was a Conti Motion sport touring tire from 2017.

I even ordered a set of fairing from Summitfairings back in late May shortly after I got it to give it a fresh look. I have yet to receive them and I have no idea if I can re-sell them once they arrive here in the states.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's horrible, hombre, I am sorry to hear. Perhaps post up the VIN, and the location/general area, it was nicked from?
Is it safe to post up the VIN online, I know I reported it to the police and it has been flagged in the registries database, but if the thief still has it I don't want him to be able to find this post based off of the VIN. I'm hoping stupidity plays a part in this and they don't file off the VIN number on the frame by the steering head.

·
SuperMod
722 Posts
some guy posted a story here a few month back about his bike getting stolen. His was also pristine.
I think the thief rode it around, beat the hell out of it, took the OEM fairings off and put some other junk on.
they did catch him because the he left the original plate on!
I'm not sure what state the bike is in now but I think he had a lot of work to do.

·
SuperMod
722 Posts
I hope you get a fair price from the insurance company.
Remember, to get that "old" bike today will cost you around 6K.
2 years ago, ~3500-4000.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Part of the used motorcycle market is bonkers right now, bikes not worth a piss are selling for $3k-6k. The only thing that seems to be worth the money are late model bikes that have basically maintained expected depreciation. Thank you to all for the support and nice words. Currently looking at a 2015 CBR1000RR.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just wanted to follow up and let everyone know that it was eventually recovered. BPD (Boston Police) found in outside of the projects in South Boston a couple of weeks back. I had already gotten paid out by my insurance company and had moved onto another motorcycle. Looks like someone molested it and dropped it while doing burnouts on the left side. The rear tire was essentially square at the top.

From the looks of it they had unbolted the fairings to gain access to the ignition harness and then either hotwired it or connected a battery to it to bypass the key and start the bike. The tow yard had it in a tight spot so I had to climb over stuff to get some of these shots. Pretty sure my insurance would have totaled it regardless. Barring the cosmetic damage, who knows what mechanical damage existed.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Wheel Automotive tire

Hood Cloud Sky Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Leg Automotive lighting

Vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive parking light Automotive tire

Automotive tire Grille Automotive parking light Hood Automotive lighting

Shoe Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Tire

Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Bumper

·
SuperMod
722 Posts
Wow.. good old Dorchester?

You might want to think about it If the insurance company gives you dibs on buying it back. Honestly, most of it looks cosmetic.
You still have the summit fairings you had bought. Put them on, and maybe you get a second bike or a track bike out of it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I asked, they wouldn't let me since they had already paid me out for the motorcycle. Moved onto a GSX-R 750 (2014 with 2,930 miles when I bought it) which overall I like more than the 1000rr. I do however miss the midrange torque and exhaust note of the blade.

I'm gonna spend the off-season looking for another one, maybe I'll get lucky and find mine up on an auction website like Copart or something.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts