Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was keeping an eye on a leftover 1000rr-r locally at a good price. Just got off my arse to finally make the deal. Called them up, and the bloody thing sold last week. Disappointed.

So I jumped on cycletrader and had a look at what else is out there. Surprisingly, I found a new rr-r advertised for $23,497 at RideNow in Jacksonville FL. No mention of any other fees (assumed there would be some), but obviously seemed like a good price, so thought I'd bite.

Made a call and got through to sales. Asked about the bike and requested an OTD price for an out-of-state buyer excl. tax. The salesman wouldn't provide an OTD number and said I'd need to come into the shop to get a final number. I explained I was an out-of-state buyer, so would prefer to get a number before making a trip there. Again, no go on OTD. Maintaining that I'd need to be in the shop to get a final number.

Confused, I asked about how a deposit would work in that case. More out of interest than anything else. And he said that I could put a non-refundable deposit down (for an unknown final price). But it would only last 24 hours. If I can't get to the shop and pick up the bike in 24 hours. I'd not get the deposit back.

Now I'm really amazed. So, I thanked him for his time and told him to get someone to call me back if they wanted to provide an OTD price for an out-of-state buyer without a deposit.

Couple of hours later, I get a call. And the final OTD price (incl. tax) was $29,600. So, I'm like ok... let's break this down. Asked about the sales tax in FL, and was told that its 7%. So depending on the base price for the bike, that would only account for about $1,700 of the cost. So, that still leaves approx. $4,500 in additional fees.

So I asked that those fees were, and things got even more weird. I was told that the bike would come with an unlimited battery replacement warranty and a GPS tracker and they both accounted for the majority of the addl. cost. So, I asked if I could remove those options and was told I couldn't. They are factory options apparently (wasn't clear if he was just talking about the GPS here), and either way, couldn't be removed even with my insistence that I just want the bike, not any addl. options.

Then got the typical pitch on how the bike is a limited edition and there aren't any available in the US... yadda yadda yadda.

End of the day, not a dealer I'd like to deal with even if I could get something closer to their advertised price + more 'typical' fees. Pretty obvious they are floating a low number to get interest and get you in the shop, and will then jack the price to something closer to rrp. So who knows what they would do to me by the time a make a trip across the country to pick the bike up.

But curious if others have had similar experiences? This seems like an extreme example based on what I've seen in the past. But far out, it's crazy what some of these guys try to get away with.

The positive is that I made a couple of other calls, and seem to have found another decent deal locally without the bs. Waiting for a call back on Tuesday. So fingers crossed.

·
Registered
223 Posts
So the same thing happens with the left over 2020 Triumph Moto 2 bikes.. they list them at a great price, then the fees stack up real quick... Even on the used ones, they are adding in a $800 recondition fee, amongst other stuff... It's the new norm in America.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you mean new norm? As in, a reflection of the current market?

I'm not even sure if that's the case here... If its a sellers market, why would dealers need to resort to advertising bikes well below rrp, just to then add on a heap of unexpected fees + costly options (which aren't really options) to get back up to near rrp?

They could have just put the bike up for around 27k and then added more standard fees (like prep, ttl and tax) when closing the deal. If demand is high, that strategy would still get it moving real quick as it would be priced below rrp. And that seems more like the standard/accepted practice in the US anyway, so less likely to annoy buyers.

Clearly, they felt they needed to go a step or two further to get the bike sold. So, either they see it's not going to be an easy task to move the bike, or they really are adopting a new standard of bulky hidden fees well beyond destination, prep, tll + tax, so they can generally keep listed prices much lower than competitors.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes it is a sellers market thus they add all the BS on used bikes, and use the same old crap car salesmen's have used saying, ready to go at this price OTD, then comes the fee's, dealer installed options, etc etc etc.. It is the new norm in America in most places for bikes, cars, houses, boats, etc. Not going to type an essay on why that is the case, but it is the case, take or or leave it. Delt with 8 different dealers when looking to buy my moto2, and ended up buying private sale instead, after all the LOW LOW price, which ended up being $2-3g more than listing in every case. Good luck on the purchase and should be easy enough one the bikes have all had their recall work done.

·
Registered
319 Posts
So, I was keeping an eye on a leftover 1000rr-r locally at a good price. Just got off my arse to finally make the deal. Called them up, and the bloody thing sold last week. Disappointed.

So I jumped on cycletrader and had a look at what else is out there. Surprisingly, I found a new rr-r advertised for $23,497 at RideNow in Jacksonville FL. No mention of any other fees (assumed there would be some), but obviously seemed like a good price, so thought I'd bite.

Made a call and got through to sales. Asked about the bike and requested an OTD price for an out-of-state buyer excl. tax. The salesman wouldn't provide an OTD number and said I'd need to come into the shop to get a final number. I explained I was an out-of-state buyer, so would prefer to get a number before making a trip there. Again, no go on OTD. Maintaining that I'd need to be in the shop to get a final number.

Confused, I asked about how a deposit would work in that case. More out of interest than anything else. And he said that I could put a non-refundable deposit down (for an unknown final price). But it would only last 24 hours. If I can't get to the shop and pick up the bike in 24 hours. I'd not get the deposit back.

Now I'm really amazed. So, I thanked him for his time and told him to get someone to call me back if they wanted to provide an OTD price for an out-of-state buyer without a deposit.

Couple of hours later, I get a call. And the final OTD price (incl. tax) was $29,600. So, I'm like ok... let's break this down. Asked about the sales tax in FL, and was told that its 7%. So depending on the base price for the bike, that would only account for about $1,700 of the cost. So, that still leaves approx. $4,500 in additional fees.

So I asked that those fees were, and things got even more weird. I was told that the bike would come with an unlimited battery replacement warranty and a GPS tracker and they both accounted for the majority of the addl. cost. So, I asked if I could remove those options and was told I couldn't. They are factory options apparently (wasn't clear if he was just talking about the GPS here), and either way, couldn't be removed even with my insistence that I just want the bike, not any addl. options.

Then got the typical pitch on how the bike is a limited edition and there aren't any available in the US... yadda yadda yadda.

End of the day, not a dealer I'd like to deal with even if I could get something closer to their advertised price + more 'typical' fees. Pretty obvious they are floating a low number to get interest and get you in the shop, and will then jack the price to something closer to rrp. So who knows what they would do to me by the time a make a trip across the country to pick the bike up.

But curious if others have had similar experiences? This seems like an extreme example based on what I've seen in the past. But far out, it's crazy what some of these guys try to get away with.

The positive is that I made a couple of other calls, and seem to have found another decent deal locally without the bs. Waiting for a call back on Tuesday. So fingers crossed.
You are right to avoid them. It’s one thing to have goofy fees. But as you said, for them to not give you a price at first, and to tell you that they would have to have a non refundable deposit without you knowing the price is border line criminal. In order to have a contract, the seller has to deliver what they have contracted. When there is no specified price I really don’t think a “contract” to buy it would be enforceable.

This is just food for thought, but if someone were to go for it, they should pay the deposit with American Express so you could protest that the dealer did not honor their side of the “deal”. but it would be a hassle. Better to just give them the bad press as you are doing.

·
Registered
17 CBR1000RR SP
236 Posts
Next time they try to tell you it is a limited edition and low quantities out there, tell them you can find several not too far away, AND that the number of BUYERS for that model is limited and they can keep their bike for another year or so while it loses value. Expensive inventory to just have sitting around the showroom. If inflation starts running rampant then the bike sales market will crash and they can eat the warehousing cost.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think inflation is already running rampant here. I'm interested to see what rates do to sales. I'd say most premium superbikes are financed. So, let's see what happens if the fed lift rates to 2-3%. That'll probably translate to 8-10% for auto loans I guess.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had one local dealer tell me he had THE ONLY CBR 1000rr-r, in Utah, and that his bike was the only one that was to be. That's why he was charging 5000.00 over list.

At that very second, I could have driven 10 miles and found two more. It is gone, so someone must have believed him?

Despite the list of verified serial numbers that has been posted, this dealer claimed there were only 50 or these bike made. One for each state. Not sure if he believed this, or was just trying to bs me.

I said, "You mean 52 states, right......... we had the 50 states, then they added Alaska and Hawaii, remember? Unless they got rid of Wyoming, we are looking at 52." He agreed there were probably 52 made. He didn't have much of an answer when I asked about Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands.

·
SuperMod
894 Posts
I've been bike shopping recently and have come across a few different styles of dealers.

National Powersports Distributors up in NH is a Triumph new dealer + ~500 used bikes in stock. Their price you see on the website is what you pay. No funny fees, etc. Very honest.

I also looked at this place called cycle design in Phillipston MA (www.cycledesignonline.com)
Pretty straight forward. I called, the guy quoted me a price and sent an email. no hanky panky.

I then called a few NY/NJ places. and as it's customary in NY/NJ :) , they played the: you have to come down here to talk, I can't quote prices, blah, blah. Their advertised price was about 2K below MSRP. I finally got the sales guy to quote me on the phone and the OTD price was MSRP + a bunch of fees. So.. no thanks.

So overall, you'll hit a mix.

Generally, the "you have to come down to talk" crowed fall on the sleezy side of the spectrum.

·
Registered
2007 CBR1000RR
134 Posts
I’ll do you one better. My local ride now refused to sell me a new 2022 CBR1000RR because I wanted to pay cash. They said it’s only available for financing and would not accept a cash offer. That’s because they would rather finance it to somebody and end up with $24k as opposed to $17k outright. They literally refused 17 thousand dollars so they wouldn’t miss out on a few extra thousand over the course of a few years. This was in Phoenix AZ. Greed is a bitch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’ll do you one better. My local ride now refused to sell me a new 2022 CBR1000RR because I wanted to pay cash. They said it’s only available for financing and would not accept a cash offer. That’s because they would rather finance it to somebody and end up with $24k as opposed to $17k outright. They literally refused 17 thousand dollars so they wouldn’t miss out on a few extra thousand over the course of a few years. This was in Phoenix AZ. Greed is a bitch.
Is that even legal?

·
a d m i n
2018 Honda CBR SP
151,063 Posts
Well, I’m not familiar wt the laws in Az, but I can tell you, there is no pre-payment penalty, here in New York, (State laws vary, so find out yours).

What that means is:

If financing-only was a dealers stipulation, (and one had the means to finance the moto), one could simply wait until the first payment notice was received, and subsequently payoff the total amount in full, without ever paying a penny in interest, if one were so inclined.. :whistle:

·
a d m i n
2018 Honda CBR SP
151,063 Posts
That's a good way around it. But I'm not sure a dealer should be able to require you to finance the purchase either. That seems really fishy.
Mfr’s often consider dealers private entities, hence why car dealers are currently able to charge $5-15k over MSRP for cars.

Dlrs often get a kick-back from banks, when a customer finances, there are a handful of other benefits, but dlrs always prefer you finance.

Either way, find out about the pre-payment penalty or lack thereof, and proceed accordingly.

·
Registered
2007 CBR1000RR
134 Posts
Mfr’s often consider dealers private entities, hence why car dealers are currently able to charge $5-15k over MSRP for cars.

Dlrs often get a kick-back from banks, when a customer finances, there are a handful of other benefits, but dlrs always prefer you finance.

Either way, find out about the pre-payment penalty or lack thereof, and proceed accordingly.
Since this incident I had another issue with ride now that made me never want to spend another penny there. I took the wheels of my 07 blade to get some new Battlax RS11’s mounted and balanced. Well I get home with them, put them back on the bike, and head out for a ride. Let me tell you, when I say I almost died, it’s no exaggeration. They ended up putting 10.5 ounces of weight on the rear and 9 ounces of weight on the front. My front tire had 18 1/2ounce weights on it. 18. Rear had 21 1/2 ounce weights. No that was not a typo. 18 on the front and 21 on the rear. I took them to cycle gear and they rebalanced them right there in front of me. The front only required 1/2 ounce total and the rear only required 1 ounce total. How do you mess up that bad? Especially when they use a laser guided dynamic balancer. But regardless of how it happened, I went back and requested a refund and they completely refused telling me the best they can do is a free service. I told them did they honestly think I would let them in a million years touch my bike? I don’t even want them looking at my bike after that incident lol. All that to say, I won’t ever be giving them anymore of my money. I don’t care if they have a part I need. I’ll wait for it to be delivered by UPS before I patronize that place again.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Man, that story goes right up my ass sideways. Wheel weights are a real pet peeves of mine. There are a few tricks to know to balancing tires, but it isn't rocket science and there's really no excuse for that kind of incompetence. Nothing makes me SMH like a long stupid row of weights on a wheel, especially on a motorcycle.

·
SuperMod
894 Posts
Unf. there are some businesses that continuously provide bad or horrible service and there is nothing one can do.

Dealers are in that category. By design, dealers are spread out and have a territory. manufactures give the dealers the vehicles and at the end of the day, if a dealer sells a vehicle at an attractive price they will sell.

Unless they do something right out illegal, they will keep going.

·
Registered
2016 CBR1000RR
67 Posts
I did not think it was even possible to put that much weight on a wheel. The weights musta been half way around the wheel. Wtf? They must not have correctly mounted the wheel and the balancer and were too inept to realize what they were doing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lockdowns. Supply shortages. Increased money supply (inflation). Increased demand. Dealer's resorting to this age old scumbag sales tactic in today's seller's market is completely unnecessary. Not too smart on their part. Their reputation precedes them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts