Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Stuttering ‘08

2K views 10 replies 1 participant last post by  TurboDave 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 CBR1000 with 10,000 miles. One day it just started stuttering when I was getting onto the highway and trying to accelerate fast. It only stutters when I apply a lot of throttle. I can cruise at 120 mph with no problem. I just have to get up to 120 slow enough or else it will start stuttering. I replaced the cam shaft sensor because I read that this could be an issue but it did not fix it. The bike has a slip on and a KN intake. Here is a link to a Youtube video that is very similar to what I am experiencing:

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

#2 ·
I have a 2008 CBR1000 with 10,000 miles. One day it just started stuttering when I was getting onto the highway and trying to accelerate fast. It only stutters when I apply a lot of throttle. I can cruise at 120 mph with no problem. I just have to get up to 120 slow enough or else it will start stuttering. I replaced the cam shaft sensor, cleaned fuel filter and air filter. The bike has a slip on and a KN intake. Here is a link to a Youtube video that is very similar to what I am experiencing:

#3 ·
My 2018 had a stutter around 6000-7000 rpm when brand new. It was not real bad, but certainly noticeable. Everyone on the forum said it’s just due to the ECU being tuned differently in the U.S. and a byproduct is a lean a/f stumble under certain condition. They were right, an ECU “tune” by Dano’s fixed it.

#7 ·
I'm not as familiar with the 2008 model but I know with the previous model, anything short of a reverse flow filter flush using the fuel pump is not going to get it clean. Even with that work done, it seems to be a temporary fix as many old tanks are rusty and clog back up shorty after. But the symptoms are just as you describe.

Before anymore cleaning, I'd find a factory service manual and do a fuel flow test. That will tell you if the pump or filter is the issue. Hopefully someone more familiar with this model with chime in.

#8 ·
Definitely fuel pump! My 09 did same thing at 12k and 30k. Fuel pump every time! Same bog and stuttering under high load but roll ons still get you up to speed. Both times it acted this way. You can comfirm fuel flow but it's definitely the pump. It's gonna ripp so hard with a new pump too.

#10 ·
That bag on bottom is just strainer that blocks large particles which can damage pump. Actual filtre of small particles to protect injectors is actually built into housing of fuel-assembly. Filtres flow after pump. It's not replaceable and when clogged, entire pump-assembly has to be replaced.

Filtre in pink:

Do flow-test to see how clogged filtre is. There's error in manual, someone copy & pasted numbers from 600 manual. Should be about minimum double these numbers for good flow:

• Helpful
Reactions: J D
#11 ·
This is the procedure for the 04-07 cbr1000rr. I'd expect the 08 to get a similar result. Chances are, Honda used the same pump. Not mentioned in the picture is the wiring mods to get the pump to stay on for 10 seconds. I forgot how the manual says to do it. I found this test is easier if you can wire a momentary switch to the pump directly from the battery. Avoid short circuiting the wires in a way that creates a spark.

Font Parallel Art Paper Paper product

More on this topic here:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.