Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Supercorsa sp size and pressure

10K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Liquid_IQ 
#1 ·
Hello,
It seems to be a choice for a quiet a few riders to go 190/55 in the rear. I wanted to purchase some grippy tires and what was available was only 190/55 pirelli supercorsa sp for the rear and standard front 120/70.
Can anyone with experience on these tures recommend the pressure. I found on a website 30 psi front 29 psi rear?
What are you guys setting? it's about 30-35 degrees Celsius summer where i live not very humid.
Will this setup rise the rear too much? Any dramatic changes in handling it's 2012 cbr1000rr?

#7 ·
I run pilot power 2ct on factory recommended 36 front and 42 rear it was too stiff. I droped only 2 psi 34 and 40 it was ok i also have potholes to avoid. Thanks

You riding on the street?
What type of riding? Commuting, twisties, aggressive canyon?
What's your weight?

I'm 230lbs without gear and found anything under 33 psi in the front and I start to deform the front tire under heavy braking.

On the street I'd start out at 32/32 and go from there based on feel, grip, ride comfort, and temp increase cold to hot
Little twisty road near local hills 1st 2nd gear some places 3rd. Not the top rider i am trying to go faster. No commuting. I am 82 kg in punds it's 2.5x right.
Wanted to try a track riding my brakes seem ok:) so i got grippier tires. On michelins before 34 psi in the front was ok for me. I want to try new tires on the familiar road first

SC are great tires
I run 31 front & 30 rear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SC must be the better compound tire, will try 31/30 on mine as well

#4 ·
For track riders the starting point for best grip is 30/30 and adjusted from there based on tire wear and pressure increase from cold to hot tire pressure readings.

For street riders the higher the pressure the more miles you will get out of a tire due to a smaller contact patch and less heat put into the tire but you are sacrificing grip with increased pressures.

I read an article a while back about street tire pressures on sport bikes and there is a formula to use but I can't recall the exact numbers. I believe it's called the 10/20 rule. Set your cold tire pressure and go ride as you normally do. Immediately measure tire pressures again. You should see a 10% increase in font tire pressure and 20% in the rear (due to tire temp increase).
It all comes down to trial and error and personal preference, riding style, geographic location, road conditions, etc.
There is no magic number or setting as these numbers will change with ambient Temps anyway.

#8 ·
. . . I read an article a while back about street tire pressures on sport bikes and there is a formula to use but I can't recall the exact numbers. . .
A Dave Moss video covers much of this and is both informative and interesting:

I've been experimenting for a while with different pressures, but haven't been game to go down to 31/30, but hey, I might have a go at 31/37. As you'll not in the video, it should be different for most riders due to circumstances. (y)

#6 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys, i will start from 30/29 cold and go from there. Measure on hot after the road ends it's about 30km.
You riding on the street?
What type of riding? Commuting, twisties, aggressive canyon?
What's your weight?

I'm 230lbs without gear and found anything under 33 psi in the front and I start to deform the front tire under heavy braking.

On the street I'd start out at 32/32 and go from there based on feel, grip, ride comfort, and temp increase cold to hot

#12 ·
Just wanted to add some info for someone reading this thread in the future. I put 32 psi front and rear on the street(windy road in the hills). Even for quick riding it was enough i guess tire wasn't getting super hot. On the track i put 30 both ends and it was great also i didn't try to change it to different pressures it was already great. Thanks for advice.
Supercorsa has more grip when hot than michelins pilot power i used to have before. But they need more time to worm up. And in the beginning when i switched the feeling was very strange. It felt like i had more tires more rubber to use. Like more cushion on the road. It felt i needed push it more to turn more but had more lean andgle room also. When new michelins were diving into corners very immediately and felt tire was lower. Not only back but front as well and it didn't seem to need much time to warm up. I guess it was because of profile of these 2 tires and compounds are very different. Once i got used to the differences it was great pirelli has so much grip when hot and gives more confidence thinking you can lean even more there is till a lot room.
Thanks everyone for advice. 190/55 rear and standard front supercorsas work great on 2012 cbr1000rr.

#14 ·
I got the SP, more often i go for mountain road riding they are more street friendly. I think SC is track tire and SP is factory oem type of supercorsa but not exactly sure.
I have 700km on them and can already see the side marker getting closer to the surface middle one is still ok. That's in the front, the rear looks better. I think they will worn out quick not more than 2000km. But then again if michelin was used in such hot conditions i think they would worn out even quicker. I paid 470$ for both front and rear.

#16 ·
Your point looks very different now then an hour ago :)
It's not a tire comparison comment i made. It's a description of higher profile tire of certain type. How it feels and what to expect. It might help someone. Same way i was looking for an information on this forum about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.