Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now that I'm going to keep the std dino oil in for the 1st 300 miles. But after that how soon can I make the switch to full synthetic?

·
ArtificialCrisisDisruptor
8,702 Posts
Opinions vary on this one!
I've read an interview from a guy from Castrol ,and he said it's better to use semi-synth for a few thousand miles than change to 100% synth. Helps break-in the engine better.Makes sense imo.

·
Tony's a Bitch
982 Posts
300 miles (OR LESS!) Dino Oil & Filter.
1000 Miles - Dino Oil & Filter
3000 Miles - Semi Synthetic or Full Synthetic

Personally I use Honda 10-40 HP4 Semi Synthetic Without Molly.

Reason I follow this is because a fellow rider on his 954 does, and he's got 80,000 miles on it.

Debate if you'd like.

·
The Search Czar
2,924 Posts
I knew a guy that had over 300,000 miles on a 600F2 and he didn't use the Honda synthetic oil. The odometer rolled over a few times on it.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
I knew a guy that had over 300,000 miles on a 600F2 and he didn't use the Honda synthetic oil. The odometer rolled over a few times on it.
So many bowls of soup make the transition from good to great thanks to their garnishes, and your potato soup is no exception. In addition to using chopped fresh herbs, I bet you ordinarily garnish each serving with some crumbled crispy bacon.

·
Tony's a Bitch
982 Posts
I have 3,000,000 miles on my roller skates and I only use Castrol GTX 20-50 on em.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
300 miles (OR LESS!) Dino Oil & Filter.
1000 Miles - Dino Oil & Filter
3000 Miles - Semi Synthetic or Full Synthetic

Personally I use Honda 10-40 HP4 Semi Synthetic Without Molly.

Reason I follow this is because a fellow rider on his 954 does, and he's got 80,000 miles on it.

Debate if you'd like.

This sounds like a logical plan

·
Back in business
985 Posts
So many bowls of soup make the transition from good to great thanks to their garnishes, and your potato soup is no exception. In addition to using chopped fresh herbs, I bet you ordinarily garnish each serving with some crumbled crispy bacon.
huh?

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
I've heard you cant go back to dino once you've used syn...
Yea & if you don't forward that chain email in your inbox you'll also have 7 years of bad luck, your harddrive will explode, Bill Gates won't send you 4.2 million dollars & your penis will fall off...

·
Flat Broke
3,308 Posts
damm .. i hope that penis pump will help me out with the ladies .. after my luck with all that bad luck.. phucking gates

but honestly all the bros at the dealer i use to work at always tryed to drop that line on all the customers

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Just another one of the many myths of the sport constantly perpetuated into the minds of the sheeple.

I switch back & forth all the time based on whatever oil I can get for cheap or free...

The only real problem I have seen (& it's not even directly related to your question) is that some oils lack anti-organic compounds (especially non-motorcycle specific oils) that cause certain types of clutch plates to slip or they have a molybdenum additive that also causes slippage. Once this occurs you really can't get the clutch plates back to normal even if you switch back to a different type of oil without those additives etc because the clutch plates become tainted.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Yea & if you don't forward that chain email in your inbox you'll also have 7 years of bad luck, your harddrive will explode, Bill Gates won't send you 4.2 million dollars & your penis will fall off...

:th_SmlyROFL:

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
There was a thread on here about not changing to synthetic too soon on the '08-09s. Due to seating the rings and break in. The theory is this why some of these bikes burn more oil then others.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
There was a thread on here about not changing to synthetic too soon on the '08-09s. Due to seating the rings and break in. The theory is this why some of these bikes burn more oil then others.
An incorrect theory, but yes a theory :)

PS I'm one of the guys that waits until a few thousand miles before ever switching to Full Synthetic. I wait not because of the rings and such, but the transmission which shares the same engine oil. Even though the engine may be broke in, the transmission takes a good deal longer and I feel Full-Syn can prolong or even stop that process.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts