Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last nite i went to a bike meet down here in san diego... one of the guys on the 1000rr asked me if my taillight melted. I said no, but he showed me his bike and man... that thing melted and deformed pretty bad. He said that the dealer is ordering him a new tail light. Anyone else has this issue? :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Sorry to hear about your tail light problem. I have about 800 miles on mine and i am starting to notice that the tail light is turing yellow/brown from being cooked by the pipe. My bike is all stock. I am surprised that Honda didnt catch this problem. You can only notice it when the bike is off. It has no effect (Yet?) on the brake light when the bike is on. Still looks bright red. Guess thats what you get for getting a 1st edition model.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
Seems to me that a tail light melting is one of those lemon things that you cant prevent or he did something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,144 Posts
My taillight turns yellow after a while too, but cleans off pretty easy. Melting is another story. If it ends up doing that with an aftermarket exhaust, they aren't going to cover it, so I'm hoping the aftermarket companies did their homework.
 
G

·
melted light

My tail light has started to melt, but it is because I put the Giza stretch cover on it everyday after riding it to work. I had been putting the cover over the exhaust and rear turn signals. About the 5th day I noticed the tail light melting and on day 6 as I was putting the cover on I realized what I was doing wrong and that the cover was holding in the heat from the exhaust. Now cover only goes over the tail light, not the exhaust.
 

·
Sprung
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
IronNutz said:
My taillight turns yellow after a while too, but cleans off pretty easy. Melting is another story. If it ends up doing that with an aftermarket exhaust, they aren't going to cover it, so I'm hoping the aftermarket companies did their homework.
Most aftermarket cans will hold a lot less heat than the stocker. Most are straight through designs that don't hold the exhaust gasses that long. Additionally, most are made out of either Al, Ti, or CF, none of which really hold heat very well.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,564 Posts
i would have to suggest a CF can.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
737 Posts
IronNutz said:
I love carbon fiber, but not everyone is offering that option due to carbon warping under the heat generated by underseat exhaust.
Do you have any evidence or example already on this?

Cause I ordered an Akra full system with carbon end can, for exactly the reason it doesn´t heat up that much and doesn´t iradiate so much heat, wich I think my girl friend will apreciate on hot summer days stuck in traffic as will the undertail also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,144 Posts
EE8 said:
IronNutz said:
I love carbon fiber, but not everyone is offering that option due to carbon warping under the heat generated by underseat exhaust.
Do you have any evidence or example already on this?

Cause I ordered an Akra full system with carbon end can, for exactly the reason it doesn´t heat up that much and doesn´t iradiate so much heat, wich I think my girl friend will apreciate on hot summer days stuck in traffic as will the undertail also.
Yup, call Micron and they'll tell you all about it. Apparently they are not going to make any carbon fiber cans for the 1000RR because of too much heat building up under the seat, and it was destroying the finish. They do make carbon for the 600RR, but they told me it was just too much on the 1000RR. I'm sure the other manufacturers who did make a carbon setup will be just fine, it's just a Micron thing I'm guessing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
737 Posts
IronNutz said:
EE8 said:
IronNutz said:
I love carbon fiber, but not everyone is offering that option due to carbon warping under the heat generated by underseat exhaust.
Do you have any evidence or example already on this?

Cause I ordered an Akra full system with carbon end can, for exactly the reason it doesn´t heat up that much and doesn´t iradiate so much heat, wich I think my girl friend will apreciate on hot summer days stuck in traffic as will the undertail also.
Yup, call Micron and they'll tell you all about it. Apparently they are not going to make any carbon fiber cans for the 1000RR because of too much heat building up under the seat, and it was destroying the finish. They do make carbon for the 600RR, but they told me it was just too much on the 1000RR. I'm sure the other manufacturers who did make a carbon setup will be just fine, it's just a Micron thing I'm guessing.
Well, I sure hope so.
My Akrapovic dealer already has one mounted on a race 1000rr that has been to a couple of races. I looked at it and it was still looking brand new.
But I will be looking closer after a few more races to see how the carbon can handels it. :scratch:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Sorry to hear about your tail light problem. I have about 800 miles on mine and i am starting to notice that the tail light is turing yellow/brown from being cooked by the pipe.

My 600 does that all the time if I dont wash it weekly. S100 cycle wash works really well at taking the exhaust residue off the light and the tag.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top