Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

Wanting to know if I am the only guy that does this with his bikes?
I usually change the oil in my street bikes every 2K miles and for my race bikes every other race weekend.

Ever since I have adopted this ritual, I have never had any damage to the internals of the engine. I have had damage when I have crashed, but that is only common sense, when you crash, stuff is gonna break. Sometimes.

In any case, when I have my mechanic do work on my bikes, he always tells me that the internals are in excellent shape and the oil is as if new. I'm not much of a mechanic, but to hear that from him, makes me feel more sure of my little ritual.

In any case, thought I would share that with the rest of you. Make sure to take care of you baby!

Cheers,

·
Registered
20 Posts
I change my oil depending on how I ride. If I'm out riding my bike hard all the time I change it sooner, If I'm jsut putting around on the freeway I do the norm. But it's all about how oil breaks down. It's made to lube, clean, protect against rust but it will break down over time. That's why it's important to me to get quality oil and pay attention to my bike. I can see the color of the oil thru the il window and I know how long it's been since my last change and what kind of riding I've been doing. So I guess you can't change it too often but by changein the oil alot your also opening the drain plug and tightening it more often having more of a chance ofwear on that. and it all depends on if you know how to change oil well or not. I've seen some idiots tighten the crap out of their drain plugs and strip it out having to go buy a whole new oil pan or getting it rethreaded.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I did the 600 mile oil change and will probably do it again every 3000.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah i have to do my first oil change soon. If you took it into a shop how much did they charge?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I changed mine @ 600 miles, it was still very clean, just wanted to remove all the shavingsd from break-in. then i did it again @ 1300, and i will do it again @ 2000. I truly believe the more frequent you change the oil during breakin, the better the bike will run,and last ! my next oil change i will upgrade to the Repsol race oil.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Change at 600 and then every 3000 miles. From what I have seen in all the used oil analysis I've done do far, fuel dilution levels hit 3-5% and the oil's vis is down to a SAE 20 or less. One sample like this on Honda GN4 crap had aluminum and iron levels of 200 and 100 ppm. My bikes run about 20 and 10. Remember, these engines have aluminum cylinders.

·
I'm slower then you
1,394 Posts
I watched a Ford Ranger go 250,000 miles, and still have excellent internals, all within manufacturers specifications for use. And that thing never had oil changes done on time. At best, every 7000 miles, and that was non synthetic oil too.

It is good to change your oil often, but that is not the only thing that will keep things going right. I plan to go to extended oil changes as soon as I find out how long I can go, and after the warranty expires.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I changed my oil at 100 miles to get rid of all the "break in crap" - oil color was ok, but even after 100 miles i could see that the oil looks like a can of brown metal flake paint........

i will change it again:

@ 500 miles

@ 1000 miles

@ 2500 miles

@ 5000 miles - at this point i will change to AMSOIL Synthetic

and every 5000 thereafter.

just me =)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.