Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Interest in a GB for Tank-Lockers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been in contact with Luggage Locker and have just placed an order for the tank locker for the 1000rr. I expect it to arrive middle to the end of this week. A full review with pictures will follow once it arrvies and is installed. The website is http://www.luggagelocker.com/tanklocker.html and looks like a great option for our plastic shelled tanks.

I am curerntly working on a group buy for us resulting in a minimum of 10% (since that is what they pay for "referrals") possibly more.

And if any of you have used tank bags before, very rare will you find one that is waterproof. Luggage Locker offers a waterproof material called "Lexel" which I *WILL* be putting to the test! :thumbup: cause I hate getting caught in the rain, and I hate having cellphone, wallet, and other important things getting wet as a result. The trunk on our bikes don't afford us much remedy for storage, so this looks like a viable solution. Good for keeping spare visors, drinks, powerbars, honda polish and rag (for cleaning the bugs off the visor) plug kits, camera'a and anything else you need.

-John

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Not crazy about the locking plate always being attached. I've never had the need for a tank bag, but with the nil space we now have, I'm gonna have to look into it. Damn shame about not being able to to use a mag bag. My buddy's got one (Marsee I believe) that work's great.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Enfilade said:
I wan't one of these backpacks for my laptop and comute to work when the weather is nice.
http://www.axio-usa.com/html/p1.html

1000rr plastic tank? No magnetic tank bags!
this one's alright too:
http://www.speed-pac.com/

I bought one, mostly for snowboarding. I fell on it a few times, and it cracked the outer shell in a few places. It works great for motorbiking, though (I wear it on my back, as opposed to putting it on the tank). I like the fact that it has foam rubber spacers underneath, so there's some ventilation between the pack and your back. It comes with a camelbak-type drink bladder, too. Not big enough for a laptop, though.... mostly made for drinks, lunch, and misc valuables. I also use an external luggage strap to keep the lid closed (I don't trust the way it opens backwards, against the flow of wind).

·
Registered
604 Posts
tank bags?

I've never used a tank bag, but it sure seems like it would get in the way, especially if you want to switch riding positions and lean down onto the tank?... the 1000RR has a very forward riding position as is, and it seems like a tank bag would be in your face all the time, so to speak

·
Registered
23 Posts
My friend has a luggage locker on his bike. He can store so much crap in it is amazing! The thing doesn't come near the paint at all! I have the same issues though with a tank bag getting in the way. Especially since I'm a little vertically challenged. I am more interested in the luggage locker that goes on the back of the bike.

·
Registered
604 Posts
LMI69 said:
My friend has a luggage locker on his bike. He can store so much crap in it is amazing! The thing doesn't come near the paint at all! I have the same issues though with a tank bag getting in the way. Especially since I'm a little vertically challenged. I am more interested in the luggage locker that goes on the back of the bike.
Ditto.
I just sent them an e-mail asking what products are compatible with the 1000RR. I'll keep you posted.

·
I'm slower then you
1,394 Posts
Re: tank bags?

heth said:
I've never used a tank bag, but it sure seems like it would get in the way, especially if you want to switch riding positions and lean down onto the tank?... the 1000RR has a very forward riding position as is, and it seems like a tank bag would be in your face all the time, so to speak
Usually, you can mount it in a nice position to allow you to lean against it. I plan to try out the bag I bought for my Buell here one of these days (guess I know what I am doing this evening...) to see how well it fits. I expect it to fit fine.

I also have some matchin saddle bags, but I don't think they are going to work because of the way the tail is designed :(

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
Enfilade said:
I wan't one of these backpacks for my laptop and comute to work when the weather is nice.
http://www.axio-usa.com/html/p1.html

1000rr plastic tank? No magnetic tank bags!
I have the Axio Swift Hardpack (Carbon) and think it's the best for my commuting to work needs. Spacious enough to fit my Laptop, Franklin, and additional accessories. I don't even know it's there, unlike my standard Targus backpack.

I checked out the speed-pac, but it wasn't enough room and it opened kinda weird. Almost as if a kryponite baby was gonna be in there when I opened it. Neat, but too funky for me.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've been touring forever on all kinds of sportbikes.
Tankbags don't bother me at all, never in my way, even during pretty aggressive riding.

I have three....a small Marsee that is a good dayride bag - but I don't use it on the RR. an RKA that I like better for day rides. And for long trips like a ten day ride from Denver to Monterey the fun and scenic way - I have a 24l Tourmaster.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've been using my old magnetic tank bag with no problems. The metal tank is close enough that the bag still stays in place. Can't remember but isn't there some insulation under the plastic tank cover? Might be able to remove some of that and make a magnetic bag work even better.

·
I'm slower then you
1,394 Posts
Re: tank bags?

Sidewalk said:
heth said:
Usually, you can mount it in a nice position to allow you to lean against it. I plan to try out the bag I bought for my Buell here one of these days (guess I know what I am doing this evening...) to see how well it fits. I expect it to fit fine.

I also have some matchin saddle bags, but I don't think they are going to work because of the way the tail is designed :(
Well, kind of old, but...

The tank bag didn't end up working out. The bag is too long, and doesn't allow me to move around enough on the bike, let alone duck behind the wind screen.

However, I was able to strap it down to the tail very easily. It is now a tail bag, and has been working very well there for the past 10,000 or so miles.

The saddle bags did work out as well. But I am going to make a bracket for them to keep them from swinging under the tail section.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.