Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
17 CBR1000RR SP
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Today I installed the new rear tire and rim, and the new sprockets and chain. The stock rear rim is 10.4 pounds the BST is 7.2 pounds so a 3.2 pound saving, but wait, there's more, the rear stock sprocket and carrier hub weighs 4.2 pounds and the BST carrier and the supersprok I purchased weighs 3.1 pounds so a 1.1 pounds saved. Total rear 4.3 pounds, with the front 3.0 pounds saved it is a total of 7.3 pounds off the bike and this is unsprung and rotational weight so even more important. I was disappointed that the stock 525 chain weighed 4.1 pounds and the new 520 premium 3D chain also weighs 4.1 pounds. But it looks cooler so not too much of a disappointment. :) Bought a good chain break and pressor tool, a must when working on a new chain. Getting to the front sprocket means removing the lower fairing, Evap can cover, quick shifter, and sprocket cover. I probably cleaned off a 1/2 pound of grease and gravel out of the fairing and sprocket area. :)
Riding to work tomorrow. Then a long ride Saturday to scrub in the new tires.

·
Registered
17 CBR1000RR SP
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Rode the bike to work today. First thing I always notice with a new set of tires is the improved turning. Going from a V shaped front tire and a flat center rear tire after 5000 miles to the rounder new tire is always noticable. After a bit of riding I could feel a lighter feel in rolling the bike from side to side, like not fighting against as much gyroscopic force. The bike also seems to handle better over the rougher roads, don't know if that is the lower unsprung weight or just a lighter bike overall, or both. Can't say much about acceleration or braking improvements yet, being careful for the first one hundred miles or so to scrub the skin off the new tires.
Going for a long ride in the hills and back roads tomorrow. And you all have a great ride this weekend!

·
Registered
17 CBR1000RR SP
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Well the Votes are in, after a 125 mile ride with some very fast stuff and some very curvy stuff in the hills to the east of San Diego, the Carbon Fiber wheels are the BEST performance upgrade I have made to my bike so far. Trying to keep up with two friends who race their sport bikes, the new tires got scrubbed in quickly and the bike accelerated quicker, braked better, handled better, I could place it on any line I wanted. And the bike was easier to get off the line than it was before. Half way through we topped off the gas tanks. My bike averaged 34-35 mpg, now I got 40 mpg. The bike now weights approximately 420 pounds curb weight.

·
Registered
93 Posts
wow, that's great news!! ordering BST wheels now!!!
Won't have ready for ASMA round-6 @ Attesa in couple weeks, but looking forward to such dramatic improvements!

·
Registered
17 CBR1000RR SP
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
I don't know if the lead time has gotten any better. The shop I bought the rims from quoted 10 weeks and it really took 10 months. Try to find someone who has stock otherwise it is a special order and takes forever. ;)

·
Premium Member
2015 CBR Repsol SP
21 Posts
I don't know if the lead time has gotten any better. The shop I bought the rims from quoted 10 weeks and it really took 10 months. Try to find someone who has stock otherwise it is a special order and takes forever. ;)
The set I ordered for the CBR a few years ago were made-to-order. They had the newer Rapid TEK design with 5 split-spokes(10 total) in stock, but I wanted the original Black Diamond 5 spoke.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have made some replacement on my 17’SP1

WHen it comes to Titanium bolts, to make a proper different there is not point to replace one set of bolt. By having 1kg less fuel in the tank, you need to spend $1K on Titanium bolts. I have been around the block with the Ti bolt kits. . I would say stick tot rotating mass reduction. There is where the difference comes In.

Lightweight tyres, lightweight wheels and rotors. Execissive spending on the bolts not going to to make a huge differenCe.

Weight saving and parts replacements are never ending.

On my SP, BST+Brembo T-bolt+Brembo GP4… I have gone that far. . Will maybe go fo lightweight rear-sets.. but that is it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
BST makes wheels for street and track . . If you going to order race wheel and use them on the street, ensure missing all the bumps and holes. . . Each one has a spot in the sun

·
A1 SuperMod!
1,098 Posts
For rotation mass reduction there is a significant amount of weight that can be removed from the crankshaft counterweights. If you remove the counterbalance shaft/weight the extra gear on the crankshaft can also be shaved down.

I did not weigh the crank before/after the process, but I would estimate it to be 3-4 pounds of rotating mass. At a cost of only $300 to have the machine work done, it's what I consider the best weight/$$ for a noticeable increase in how the bike accelerates.

Brembo GP4
These are some of the lightest calipers I've ever encountered, but at $4k it's even less weight/$$ than titanium bolts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have spent enough… After the Brembo upgrade ( and the parts were not new, by the way) and wheels I decided It is enough. No point in spending SP2 money and not having SP2

·
Registered
17 CBR1000RR SP
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Titanium nuts and bolts are not THAT expensive, are lighter weight, but are stronger than stainless nut and bolts and just as corrosion resistant, which is why I use them.
For the wheels, only one set available from BST, may or may not be for racing, or street, but a 7.2 pounds reduction is significant.
The A rear fender eliminator removed 1 pound, not an expensive upgrade. The Carbon Fibre front fender removed a pound, and not an expensive upgrade. Rear racing brake rotor removed almost a pound of rotating weight, and not expensive. Underslung Brembo rear brake no weight loss by looks cool. So I have spend the cost difference from the SP to SP2, but got the bike new with a $3500 discount, so I am ahead of the game.

How much weight did you save with the Brembo calipers and how much did they cost?

·
Registered
22 Posts
To be honest the Brembo upgrade was not about the weight, so I never measured it. The stock callipers were sold to reduce the financial effort. Same with going from stock master cylinder to RCS19, selling off stock parts to fund the new parts.
The rear rotor is on my list as that is a $100 part from Superbike Unlimited. Looks cool….

I have never seen a SP2, only in photos, but if it is like the V-twin range, over the longer term it is the bike to have. .

·
Registered
22 Posts
I took the standard caliper bolts and weighed them against the titanium bolts. The Titanium is half the weight. For shit n giggles I weighed the Lith battery and a AGM.. now that is where the difference comes in as the Lith weighs a quarter at 500g compared to 2Kg of agm.

I would love to know what the SC77 SP Titanium fuel tank weigh compared to the RR version.

To me it is pointless buying m6 in Titanium as an example as the weight loss is insignificant in gram/$

·
a d m i n
2018 Honda CBR SP
151,064 Posts
I took the standard caliper bolts and weighed them against the titanium bolts. The Titanium is half the weight. For shit n giggles I weighed the Lith battery and a AGM.. now that is where the difference comes in as the Lith weighs a quarter at 500g compared to 2Kg of agm.

I would love to know what the SC77 SP Titanium fuel tank weigh compared to the RR version.

To me it is pointless buying m6 in Titanium as an example as the weight loss is insignificant in gram/$
I believe the point of Rusa’s thread is the overall weight loss due to changing out a massive amount of steel bolts to Ti.

·
Registered
17 CBR1000RR SP
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Yeah, I have made strategic Titanium bolt and nut changes, as well as changing some of the Black plastic body parts with carbon fiber pieces. It's a matter of how much do you want to spend on goodies, replacing good parts with better. ;)
The SP came with lithium battery, you are right that is a good place to lose weight. The SP has a Titanium gas tank but I have never had mine off to weigh it, bet it saves more than one pound - less than three pounds.
This weekend I will install some carbon fibre intake duct covers. Also, been looking for carbon fiber replacements for the ABS plastic cover, under the seat, still haven't found this.
Have a great weekend!

·
Registered
22 Posts
A titanium bolt typically weigh in at 55-60% of the stock bolts. The biggest gain is thus in M10 and M8 bolts. And Titanium axles with nuts.
I prefer the bolts from pro-Bolt. Considering how many bolts were too long, replacing them with a correct length is affordable saving.
on eBay I found titanium nut set for the rear sprocket. $30/set. They were bigger than stock and weighed the same. Bigger meaning, needed one size bigger spanner.

As. I say, for me it was a big thing to see where I can drop the weight.
Lith batt
There is a good saving in the Ti tank, need to buy it used.
Big bolts
Going to 520 pitch and using super lite sprockets, with Superbike Unlimited’s titanium nuts.

As said, one has to decide, how deep you want to get into this hole, but how light the bike is, is why I bought SC77

·
Premium Member
2015 CBR Repsol SP
21 Posts
You must fully commit to get a substantial weight reduction. I’m all in on my bikes.

2011 Ducati 1198SP Superbike = 397lbs/180whp
2012 Ducati 1100SP Hypermotard = 380lbs/95whp
2021 Aprilia RS660 (mini)Superbike = 373lbs/100whp
2021 Ducati V4SP Superbike+ = … not done yet
2015 Honda CBR1k SP Superbike = 420lbs/???

As you can see, these specific Italian bikes are designed to be much lighter than the CBR for racing purposes. The Honda has the same Ohlins suspension components, so the heavier weight is in the main structure like the frame, swingarm, and engine.

I will take another couple pounds off the CBR (and the 1198SP) when I fit the 3D GP 520 chain on them. The CBR has a 530 and the 1198 a 525. The up side to the CBR heavier main structure weight is the smoother, more relaxed (and comfortable!) street ride, yet the downside is a slower reacting bike. I’m not “knocking” the CBR at all, I love it, but facts are facts.

They all are great bikes, but definitely different in “personality”, handling, and overall performance.

Reactions: J D and Rusa
81 - 98 of 98 Posts