Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

Title Question

4K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Spastik Monkey 
#1 ·
I am looking to purchase a 2010 CBR 1000rr. The guy im looking to purchase from has recently paid the bike off and is waiting for the title to arrive after being released by the lein holder. My question is if there is a way to purchase and complete the sale safely allowing me to ride the bike untill the title arrives. I dont want to give him any $$ if i cant show the bike is actually mine.

#3 ·
in Tennesse, from my experience the only way to "call it yours" is title in hand and signed by you. even in the case of someone filing for a lost title. no title to say who the owner is = no owner, posession is 9/10ths of the law in that case. on the other hand you could possibly draw up a notarized bill of sale. just some thoughts but dont quote me. "... i did'nt pass the B.A.R but i know a little bit...."-Jay-z

#5 ·
Not only will you not be able to show the bike is yours, there's no proof the seller has a right to tell that bike.

So if you end up with that bike in your possession, there could still be a lien on the title.

You can't take the seller's word that he paid off the bike until a clean title is in hand. He should also have some documentation to indicate the loan was satisfied.

#9 ·
It's not about being safe, it's about legally what constitutes ownership, and without a pink slip, no matter how much money you gave him, you will be SOL.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.