Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apologies for the remedial knowledge of the pair system but my question is this...

Since my bike is flashed I never had to remove the PAIR system to get tuned...but after thinking more I came to the conclusion that since the flash was from another 2017 with same exhaust setup I'd imagine because it was dynoed the pair must have been disabled...

so my question is should I disable my pair or does it even matter?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Disable PAIR = more accurate AFR

Does it matter on the track if you are in A or B group? Yes

Does it matter on the track if you are in C group, no

Does it matter on street, absolutely not.

But if you have the money to burn then none of that matter, spend on what you feel like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Only when dynotuning or autotuning (reading air to fuel ratios with a wideband O2 sensor) will not blocking off or removing the pair valve system cause an issue other than popping on decal. If the bike was dyno tuned they could have temporarily disabled the pair valve system by pinching/blocking off the air tube and not had to remove the system so it could still be installed and functional
The pair valve system introduces fresh air into the exhaust to reduce emissions. This will give faulty readings with an O2 sensor. If you are just having the ECU flashed without a dyno or autotune its not necessary to remove/disable the system although its not a bad idea to do so as you no longer need the system to do what it is intended to do and it will reduce/eliminate popping on decal, save weight, reduce clutter and components installed.

·
Super-Moderator
526 Posts
Only when dynotuning or autotuning (reading air to fuel ratios with a wideband O2 sensor) will not blocking off or removing the pair valve system cause an issue other than popping on decal. If the bike was dyno tuned they could have temporarily disabled the pair valve system by pinching/blocking off the air tube and not had to remove the system so it could still be installed and functional
The pair valve system introduces fresh air into the exhaust to reduce emissions. This will give faulty readings with an O2 sensor. If you are just having the ECU flashed without a dyno or autotune its not necessary to remove/disable the system although its not a bad idea to do so as you no longer need the system to do what it is intended to do and it will reduce/eliminate popping on decal, save weight, reduce clutter and components installed.
Agreed, I def don’t want to be poppin’ on decel, so I guess that’s the marble mod? I just like to ride, I don’t want to analyze the tune or tweak results, ( call me provincial), I’d prefer to set it & forget it, and just ride ‘er hard.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Agreed, I def don’t want to be poppin’ on decel, so I guess that’s the marble mod? I just like to ride, I don’t want to analyze the tune or tweak results, ( call me provincial), I’d prefer to set it & forget it, and just ride ‘er hard.
I personally would just remove the pair valve system. The block off plates are pretty cheap and it's quite a bit of stuff taken off the bike. Besides by the time you get into the air box to put a marble in the airline from the pair valve system you only have to remove the bottom of the air box to install the block off plates and remove the system anyway. It's another 20 minutes worth of work.
The block off plates usually come with a cap to plug the intake air box off so no need for a marble. Also make sure when the ECU is flashed the pair valve system is disabled in the ECU so you don't throw a code. Removing, disabling, and I believe blocking off (might be wrong with just blocking off or the marble mod which if for people leaving the pair system in place but disabling it in the ECU) the pair valve system will throw a code if not disabled in the ECU
It's easy to do, just wait til the winter or a rainy week. It can be done in an hour or 2.
But yeah I'm with you just ride it and once you have the time throw some block off plates in and yank that crap out. Also would be a good time to lube your throttle cables since you will have easy access to the lower throttle cables and you can clean up the lube when it comes out the lower end of the cables

·
Super-Moderator
526 Posts
I personally would just remove the pair valve system. The block off plates are pretty cheap and it's quite a bit of stuff taken off the bike. The block off plates usually come with a cap to plug the intake air box off so no need for a marble. Also make sure when the ECU is flashed the pair valve system is disabled in the ECU so you don't throw a code. Removing, disabling, and I believe blocking off (might be wrong with just blocking off or the marble mod which if for people leaving the pair system in place but disabling it in the ECU) the pair valve system will throw a code if not disabled in the ECU
It's easy to do, just wait til the winter or a rainy week. It can be done in an hour or 2.
But yeah I'm with you just ride it and once you have the time throw some block off plates in and yank that crap out. Also would be a good time to lube your throttle cables since you will have easy access to the lower throttle cables and you can clean up the lube when it comes out the lower end of the cables
Awesome, thank ya. Yea, I just want to flash the ecu, remove the PAIR, disable/remove the servo, and add the full Yoshi system ASAP.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
If you PAIR you better flash the bike before hand. Also, after taking the bike apart for the third time to return to stock I led the sensor out through the frame where the air intake tubes are so I can plug it in if i ever need to.

·
Super-Moderator
526 Posts
If you PAIR you better flash the bike before hand. Also, after taking the bike apart for the third time to return to stock I led the sensor out through the frame where the air intake tubes are so I can plug it in if i ever need to.
Agreed. I read enough posts on this forum to know that one needs to flash first, followed by mods appropriate to the flash.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts