Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Track Crash- tire wear question

I was at a 1.7mi, very rough track. The track was clockwise with only one real hard turn, a hairpin(<45mph), which is where I crashed. I have approximately 40 laps on the tire. I was running a decent pace when I crashed on the Dunlop Q3+, shown below. Everything was great, no traction issues in any other turns - but before I went down, it felt like I had a flat tire. I don't believe I was on the brakes. Tires were up to temp when I crashed.

When viewing the tires, note that the rear rebound was adjusted about 15 laps prior due to the cupping.
Could someone provide incite as to why the front tucked on me and why it had the flat tire feeling?
To me, it looks like I was running too little pressure on the back, but the front looks good, which is what I lost?

Image 1 - right rear
Image 2 - left rear
Image 3 and 4 - left front

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Stand your ground
1,102 Posts
Tucked the front going into a hairpin on a rough track and it felt like a flat tire? Sounds like a classic case of being too close to bottom on the front forks. You likely ran out of travel on corner entry and when you encountered a rough spot it let go. Where was your fork zip tie at?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have a zip tie on it. It is near the bottom. Honestly, my track bike is a 2014 R6 but this forum is extremely helpful so I posted here. I will have to see how much travel the fork has and see if it bottomed out. Thanks for the thought... Ill look into it.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Tucked the front going into a hairpin on a rough track and it felt like a flat tire? Sounds like a classic case of being too close to bottom on the front forks. You likely ran out of travel on corner entry and when you encountered a rough spot it let go. Where was your fork zip tie at?
Yep, I would bet this is what happened. We all have done it before at the track.

·
L'Poser
10,890 Posts
You were going to fast, next time you should slow down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, I would bet this is what happened. We all have done it before at the track.
Yep, I bottomed out. That was an expensive and somewhat painful mistake. Thanks for the hint.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You were going to fast, next time you should slow down.
Ill try that next time. Perhaps using my front brake was the issue. Maybe I'll rely solely on the rear while I'm at the track. I find crossing over works best for me. When used in conjunction with firmly planting with my inside heel and hoisting up with my arms, I find it increases stability and vision in a turn.

·
L'Poser
10,890 Posts
Ill try that next time. Perhaps using my front brake was the issue. Maybe I'll rely solely on the rear while I'm at the track. I find crossing over works best for me. When used in conjunction with firmly planting with my inside heel and hoisting up with my arms, I find it increases stability and vision in a turn.

Just do what I do, race a Grom. It's wide open full throttle everywhere no brakes needed.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
^^ LOL, Alaska racing at its best!

Some years back at the end of the year and a lot of track days I knew my Ohlins forks badly needed service, they were near the bottom under heavy braking. "Oh just one more day on them then a full service....." heavy trail braking into turn 1, few bumps and a lowsideing I went. lol

·
L'Poser
10,890 Posts
It always happens that way.

·
L'Poser
10,890 Posts
Lol. They actually have tracks where I live, to race them. How is it?
I run about a full minute a lap slower on the Grom than the SP, but the fear of crashing on a Grom is not a factor so you can have more fun and if you do crash it's a lot cheaper. I would always say give it a try.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ill try that next time. Perhaps using my front brake was the issue. Maybe I'll rely solely on the rear while I'm at the track.
Don’t do that. It is impossible to stop using the rear only. At track pace it is criminal.

I’m surprised no one else replied to this, with so many people here racing. I do track days whenever I can, I have tremendous fun, but I’m nowhere near an advanced level, and I know the basics of trail braking.

Like stated, look elsewhere, as in too much speed, abruptly braking, smoothness, suspension, for the reason.

·
Hook 'em!
2,559 Posts
Don’t do that. It is impossible to stop using the rear only. At track pace it is criminal.

I’m surprised no one else replied to this, with so many people here racing. I do track days whenever I can, I have tremendous fun, but I’m nowhere near an advanced level, and I know the basics of trail braking.

Like stated, look elsewhere, as in too much speed, abruptly braking, smoothness, suspension, for the reason.
He was joking

·
Registered
226 Posts

He was joking
LOL! Well, I had just woken up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts