Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DIY trailer / track day setups

It seems like most of the existing threads are plagued with the Photobucket hosting problem so I've created this thread for everyone to post up pictures showing off their bike hauling and track day setups. I am currently leaning towards building one of those 4x8 Harbor Freight folding trailer setups but I want some more ideas and inspiration, things to look out for, what you all would do differently if you had the opportunity.

Here are some external links to interesting builds:
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/general-sportbikes/327645-much-overdue-harbor-freight-trailer-thread-long-pics.html
http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=136458

·
Registered
33 Posts
Great little trailer, no problems maintaining 120km over 1h 45min; not suggesting for anyone to break any speeding laws in your country. Lol. Just remember to grease/pack the bearings each year.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Crazy...I didn't know HF sold trailers...looks like an economical solution for hauling bikes to the track

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
I'm buying a 6x12 enclosed trailer and the first purchase for it will be the Pitbull Trailer Restraint Systems, Qty 2. Going to look at a my top candidate tomorrow and if it's everything I expect I'm hooking it up and leaving with it in tow.

·
Registered
872 Posts
just be careful with the HF trailers. You get what you pay for, in a friends case, it was a bent axle the 2nd time they used it. I use a linamar/stirling 5x7, the ones from home depot. Works great, but the bearings they come with are junk. Put NTN/Timken or something else reliable or you may find yourself on the side of the road wishing you brought a spare hub assembly.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I have a HF folding trailer. I have no complaints. Just remember "it is what it is", a cheap made in China kit. It comes with no title so if you need a title, (some states dont require titles for trailers, WV does), its the same as building a homemade one out of scrap metal etc. I needed to get what they called the "trailer kit" paper work from the DMV. Then take pics, have a police officer look at it and determine if it is safe, get his signature on the paper work, then go to the DMV with all that stuff. Pay the money to get a title & plates. Oh yeh, I forgot, the manager from the HF store had to sign the receipt or something, which was a PIA since the HF store was over an hour away from my house. But anyhow........I pulled my HF trailer with a Chevy Venture van, loaded, with the bike and crap on the trailer between 70 and 80 mph, no problem. I always put 2 pumps of grease in the bearings (real slow so I wouldnt blow out the seal), before every trip. Also, I used a solid piece of plywood for the floor, which made it a little more solid, and didnt allow it to fold. If you do want it to fold you have to allow slack in the wires or they might get ripped apart. But when in use, the slack might drag the ground. I also used the "fence" brackets as ramp holders with wooden ramps. All in all Im happy with my HF trailer. But I really love the 6'x 10", 6' tall enclosed trailer, except not having anything to pull it with. Good thing my brother-in-law went to the track with me and used his F-150.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Trailer turned out to be all I expected and more. Let's dance. What pins do you have for the TRS? Will it fit my SC57? I'd like to see the fuel containers and mounts please. PM me.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trailer turned out to be all I expected and more. Let's dance. What pins do you have for the TRS? Will it fit my SC57? I'd like to see the fuel containers and mounts please. PM me.
No need for PM that can all get posted here. Anything DIY trailer can go here.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm buying a 6x12 enclosed trailer and the first purchase for it will be the Pitbull Trailer Restraint Systems, Qty 2. Going to look at a my top candidate tomorrow and if it's everything I expect I'm hooking it up and leaving with it in tow.
This sounds awesome. Pics yet?

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
I wanted to attach 2 pics but the attachment function is being wonky.

Attachments

·
Registered
991 Posts
I bought one of those trailers from HF for under $300. Assembled it myself and used to haul my 04 1KRR all over the place. It did not give me any trouble at all. I repainted it before I sold it. the only thing broke was tail lights which was my fault. I had very good luck with it. Make sure to get 12 inch wheel. Instead of boards, I used diamond shape thick screen (don't remember what it was called. A friend once borrowed it to haul his Harley, a much heavier bike.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Yes, thick metal screen, (diamond shape) thank you magic. These come in sheets of 4x8. I had the shop cut it in half so I can fold the trailer.

·
Blue Devil
3,464 Posts
Here is my park in my driveway with the owning open and a few load up for the the track, the straps that you see are for the pit bike. Is a 7x14 insulated and wire for electricity and it comes with AC, the wife like to be comfortable. :grin2:
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
OMG a 7x14 to haul one bike! Do you sleep in it? What are the racks mounted on the wall where you have the stands stored? I bought some hooks from Home Depot yesterday to hang leathers and other things from. I've got electric in my trailer but no AC and not sure I need it (though it's a nice luxury). Where do you put your helmet during transport?

My TRSs arrived today!!!! Yaaaay!

I"m having brakes installed (just for comfort) and that should be done in a couple days.
For anyone doing brakes DO NOT let a dealer tell you it's a $900 upgrade. A total ripoff! I went through etrailer.com and bought brakes, controller, breakaway box, wiring, stabilizer jacks as well as other things related and I'm still under $300 bucks!

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
@HMAN - you know you don't need those straps, right? Pitbull has a pic of a bike and trailer that had been wrecked inverted in transport and the team recovered and raced the bikes the next day after just clearing the oil from the airbox.

·
Blue Devil
3,464 Posts
LOL! the straps are holding my pit bike not my track bike , yes we sleep in the trailer and some times I take both of my bikes. the stuff in the walls is gladiator racks, I place my helmets in one of the baskets. My came with electric brakes, what i am going to put in there soon is a cabinet to better organize the place up.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Here is my park in my driveway with the owning open and a few load up for the the track, the straps that you see are for the pit bike. Is a 7x14 insulated and wire for electricity and it comes with AC, the wife like to be comfortable. :grin2:
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
nice setup, looking at enclosed trailers for next season..

1 - 20 of 101 Posts