Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys? As I sit here waiting for my all black 1000 RR I am wondering how long it takes to become comfortable on a liter bike when jumping up from a 600. The reason this is more of an issue than usually is because I start my surgical resiendcy in July. From that point on I will basically live in the hospital and will be lucky to get out on the bike once a week. If honda keeps BS'ing with the delivery the bike may be barely broken in by the time I have to start. :evil:

Currently I have a 2000 CBR F4 with a full system, ingnition advancer, jet kit, braided lines and some other goodies. I have put 25K + miles on her in 3 and a half years. I pretty much have ridden the shit out of her! :D I ride a lot of twisties, have done 2 track days, have put a knee down here and there, and have engaged in some squidly stunter activities :wink: I guess my question is how long will it take for me to feel comfortable. Right now I rev the piss out of my bike and I know that I will have to force myself to shift earlier on the 1000 or pay the consequencies. Other than that should I be ok in a short amount of time?

·
Registered
526 Posts
I transitioned from an F4i to the RR. 400+ miles and no problems. Just be careful of the throttle, get used to it.

·
Registered
738 Posts
The major difference will be that you have tons of power at a low RPM...unlike a 600 where you have to rev it for more power. Like Jrod said, just take it easy on the throttle....you'll soon come to know the boundaries! Be safe Dude!!!

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Jrod is right, stay away from using a ham fist and you'll be fine. Save the WFO throttling for very long straights with 0 cops. These new literbikes have so much power, if you aren't judicious with the throttle, you'll be in jail or in a coffin if you are inexperienced. Respect the bike, it's faster than almost any 4 wheeled production car ever made.

·
Huge Member
707 Posts
mrb said:
Jrod is right, stay away from using a ham fist and you'll be fine. Save the WFO throttling for very long straights with 0 cops. These new literbikes have so much power, if you aren't judicious with the throttle, you'll be in jail or in a coffin if you are inexperienced. Respect the bike, it's faster than almost any 4 wheeled production car ever made.
amen...
going from a 600 to a liter... Respect the throttle and you will be okay
besides after you become a surgeon you can buy us all new bikes :p

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
with 25k miles undere your belt you should have no problem like everyone else said. Just take your time and if possible find a secluded parking lot to practice getting the feel of her on.Like early morning b4 the mall opens or big movie theatre b4 it opens

·
Mmmmmm, cookies!
61 Posts
It's all about throttle control and being smooth. As you can imagine a liter bike can reach up and bite ya in the arse if you don't be gentle when you need to.

D-Dub

·
Registered
425 Posts
it should take you about 100 miles to get the feel of it. I only have 1 year on a 600rr and that's about all it took me. I haven't ridden it all out throug the twisties but I've ridden it pretty hard. I'm just careful with the throttle when I'm leaned over in the corner and exiting. With that many years on a 600 it will be a breeze for you. have fun and be careful. Oh yeah, now we will have an MD and a DC (I'm a chiropractor) on the board though your a few years away.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Hey have fun when you get it. I agree with everyone. Throttle control is god on these things. When your putting out over 50 hp a little of off idle you need to be smooth.

Now a dc, md and i'm po'ed :lol:

·
Registered
57 Posts
It sounds like time is on your side(meaning u have plenty of it on your 600)The transition form my 600 f2 to my 900 RR was fairly seamless.The bike had alot more power on the low side like everyone else is saying.Having a modified 600 and alot of time in the canyons will be a big help--and u will notice that this bike handles almost as good if not better than your 600..i will have to say the R6 is probably the most flingable bike i have ever ridden on so far..im sure your 600 honda is not too far off from one of those..good luck and congrats on entering the litre class!

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I was hoping that it wouldn't take too long 8) Now if only they would deliver my bike.... I still have my F4 so I really shouldn't complain.

Yamamha mike - I know what you mean. All of my physician attendings just look at me like I'm crazy. When I was doing doing my orthopedic rotation my trauma team actually worked on one of my buddies who had met a guard rail and basically tore his arm off. :shock: They just don't understand; bikes are the most potent drug known to man, once your hooked there is no turning back

·
Senior Citizen
548 Posts
mrb wrote:
Respect the bike, it's faster than almost any 4 wheeled production car ever made.
I'd love to see the list of all production vehicles that are faster.

·
Serial Killer
2,058 Posts
it all boils down to one thing: your maturity level. If you can respect the awesome power of the bike you're riding, then you can pretty much jump on anything. Yes, you're going to stunt your learning curve dramatically (according to popular belief) and you'll get the "you should have started on a 250" speech from all the True Believers. I initially learned the basics of riding a motorcycle on my brothers old FZR 1000, and I bought my first bike, 2001 F4i brand new. It took me a while to really get comfortable, but I took my time learning the bike. It was well over a month before I even went out onto the main roads (wanted to be sure I knew my gears, could stop/start on hills, various other things).

I didnt mean to turn this into a history lesson on my riding or anything, but my belief is, its all in your maturity level. If you dont respect what you have, you wont be riding it long, point blank.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
It's all about you having your brain in it’s place, and keeping your respect for the little devil :twisted:
If you always keep in mind, that he’s the stronger from the two of you and handle it this way you will have no problems… especially since you seem to be an experienced rider, only coming from a slightly smaller category! :moped:
The 1KRR is a very forgiving piece of equipment. :wink:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I tell oyu now that I've beem riding it for a while. Beside the power. there's no major difference. If you were to say you were getting a 954 Then you would notice a diference. The 954 feels like it has more power than the 1000. its more torquee down low. this bike is so smooth. I think its a600 or 750 at times

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.