Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
@PuffTheMagic for so many loud claims of "not being a tuner" it is odd that you have set you yourself up to directly compete with tuners.
I am in a transition phase. I started my business doing mail-in flashes, then started licensing my kline master tool. Eventually I became very good at reverse engineering ECUs and making defs so I started working on a full tuning suite so that I could protect and license my defs. The pressure from you and Bren and the rumors of other master tools then sorta forced my hands into still doing mail-in so that all the effort I had put in didn't go to waste. I am still trying to get out of the mail-in flash business. The remote/self flash tool for the SC82 is really a way to entice people into committing to using my full tuning suite before it is officially released as a license for the self/remote flash tool is really also an ECU Workbench license.

Woolich doesn't compete with the tuners out there licensing their software - they sell their software to tuners and individuals and make a point of NOT selling tunes - mail-in, remote or in person.
Yes they do, they have their map share. Dynojet also puts out tunes for all the models they support with their PV3.

Hell, when I tried to buy your CanBus tool to flash side-by-sides you told me to GFMS.
Yeah because the master tool is useless for people like you that don't know how to make their own ECU definitions and I wasn't giving you an XDF allowing you to tunes unlimited bikes without a way to collect royalties.

You have also gone out of your way to imply that anyone else is either plagiarizing your or FT or Woolich's data - I think there is a post in this thread where you falsely state I am using FT def.
You seem to forget I know basically everyone in this industry. I know who you got your SC77 def from and I know that it is the same FT def that all the EU/Asian tuners use. It may have some improvements based on info I have shared, but its still an FT def at its core.

·
Vendor
3,505 Posts
I am in a transition phase. I started my business doing mail-in flashes, then started licensing my kline master tool. Eventually I became very good at reverse engineering ECUs and making defs so I started working on a full tuning suite so that I could protect and license my defs. The pressure from you and Bren and the rumors of other master tools then sorta forced my hands into still doing mail-in so that all the effort I had put in didn't go to waste. I am still trying to get out of the mail-in flash business. The remote/self flash tool for the SC82 is really a way to entice people into committing to using my full tuning suite before it is officially released as a license for the self/remote flash tool is really also an ECU Workbench license.
You seem to dismiss the hundreds of dyno shops and tuners all around the country that make a living and feed their families tuning motorcycles using tools supplied by companies that don't turn around and compete in their space.

Yes they do, they have their map share. Dynojet also puts out tunes for all the models they support with their PV3.
No they don't compete with the tuner base that buys their tools. The tunes are supplied (mostly by the community) to assist buyers of the tool not compete against them. They are not tied to VIN or user account or locked in any way.
Woolich map share is primarily for end users to share tune files not for Woolich to provide locked tuned ECUs in competition to the people who may buy their tools. Check the dates of the Woolich tunes - which are freely available to WRT users.

Yeah because the master tool is useless for people like you that don't know how to make their own ECU definitions and I wasn't giving you an XDF allowing you to tunes unlimited bikes without a way to collect royalties.
I was flashing ECUs using YamahaFlasher and HondaFlasher long before I ever saw HondaECU - XDF based tuning has been around a lot longer than your tool or suite.

You seem to forget I know basically everyone in this industry. I know who you got your SC77 def from and I know that it is the same FT def that all the EU/Asian tuners use. It may have some improvements based on info I have shared, but its still an FT def at its core.
Way to dismiss the contributions of anyone else involved - you seem determined to throw your European partner under bus as a know-nothing 2nd rate hack that just copies other peoples work and has nothing original to contribute.

This brings up an interesting question - how much of your work is really "your work" and how much is "copy paste" from FT, Woolich, Dynojet, HondaFlasher and other binaries you undoubtedly have at your disposal and have taken apart, being that you are such a gifted "reverse engineer" that can extract competitors code base and data and that you "know everyone in the industry"?

Any thoughts on sending royalties to those folks whose work you've used?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
This brings up an interesting question - how much of your work is really "your work" and how much is "copy paste" from FT, Woolich, Dynojet, HondaFlasher and other binaries you undoubtedly have at your disposal and have taken apart, being that you are such a gifted "reverse engineer" that can extract competitors code base and data and that you "know everyone in the industry"?
Woolich/FT really only support Honda ECUs with M32R and SuperH chips inside because that is what they have the most experience with as those 2 chips are used in all of Denso's ECUs for the other manufactures. I had support for the Grom and SuperCub (which is an R8C chip) before DynoJet and I support other small CC bikes in the Asian market (e.g. Wave 110, Verza 150,etc) with ECUs that use an R8C chip that DynoJet doesn't even support. I had first support for the CBR500R/CBR650R (an SPC560 chip) which Woolich copied from my opensource def while it was still on github. These are the only SCP560 ECUs they support while I have support for the XADV750, Integra 750, Scoopy 110, Vario 110, and Talon 1000. I also support the all generations of the CBR250 which covers 3 different chips over the years (H8, M16C and SuperH) . Also support the AfricaTwin (SuperH). All of these being Keihin ECUs. I also support non-keihin ECUs like the Shindengen ECUs in the PCX-150 and Vario 150; those use V850 chips (early version of the RH850 found in the SC82). I also have support for Honda's flex fuel bikes in Brazil (like the CG15) which use Denso ECUs with S9 chips. DJ/Woolich/FT don't support any of these ECUs. The only bikes that I support that overlap with what Woolich/FT offer is the 1000RR SC57/SC59 (M32R) & SC77 (SuperH) and there are easy ways to prove I don't copy/paste any of their work. Woolich/FT will modify a half-dozen or more tables to affect a change (like disabling decel fuel-cut) instead of using Keihin/Honda's official master switch for that feature... which is what I use. The only way for me to use these master switches is to fully disassemble and reverse engineer the ECUs to a point that is on par or beyond that of Woolich/FT.

So, to recap. Woolich/FT (besides what has been copied/learned from me) only support Honda ECUs that share chips also found in Denso ECUs because thats all they know or care about. Meanwhile, I have master definitions for bikes covering every chipset Honda has ever used that are detailed enough to be confused with a standalone fully programable ECU. Even if I had the means to copy/paste from Woolich/FT/DJ, I have absolutely no reason to do so.

·
BOTM Moderator
477 Posts
Have you guys thought that this Troy Gleason guy might actually not be working for / trying to promote BT, and rather, be hired by a competitor to defame BT?
I mean, really. BT seems to be doing OK until Troy jumps in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you guys thought that this Troy Gleason guy might actually not be working for / trying to promote BT, and rather, be hired by a competitor to defame BT?
If you read the messages on brentuningsucks.com at this exact link

You can clearly see the connection between Brendan Griffin and Troy Gleason working together at time to defame Joel Radar. Joel was a wannbe BMW tuner getting RCK3 4meg map set from a guy in Poland. Buying a BDM was simple enough to try and load the maps file from his ECU to other ECU's. That process will work in about 10% of ECU that happen to share the OSID in the EEPROM side of the Bosch ECU.

Joel was then trying to use the RCK3 interface cable to dyno tune and setup for E85. That is where he pissed off Brendan Griffin at BrentuningMoto by buying his E85 kit and tune. Joel was so excited to do a unboxing / install reveal on live video it turned into an event that instantly blew up Joel's 2015 BMW S1000RR on the dyno. There was video proof of it on SLR website he created in response to Brendan Griffin hiring a private investigator to get the dirt on Frank Diaz on the upcoming launch of SLR tuning aka SlayerTuning.

Troy Gleason was hired to create the website https://slayertuning.com/

Frank Diaz then tuned around and created https://brentunings.com/ This website had the video of Joel Radar blowing the 2015 BMW S1000RR with Brentuning fresh out of the box E85 Kit.

Frank got into a heated confrontation with Troy Gleason on a private dig page out of the Florida area and Troy slipped up on some information that Frank was able to use against Troy and Brendan to get this website removed and in return Frank would remove his website. If you use Google snapshot there are only pieces because each website was only up 2-3 months.

This was the front page of Frank Diaz website

·
Registered
133 Posts
No mate, this stuff has been going on for years... I flushed him out 8 days ago when I smelled a rat with the fanboy bullshit, To me it sounded so familiar and turned out it was. There are guys who fall in love with people that do paid shit for them but then there is another level.

·
Vendor
3,505 Posts
Woolich/FT really only support Honda ECU...
[/snip]
Even if I had the means to copy/paste from Woolich/FT/DJ, I have absolutely no reason to do so.
No need to be modest, you've already stated everyone in the hacker/reverse engineering world already has all the FT/Woolich/DJ resources hacked so its a safe bet you have said data right on your hard drive.

But my real response to the above "Flex of brilliance" is the same it always was.

Why are you bothering getting caught up in the tuner wars at all?

Just give your tools to tuners & end users, then charge them a license fee for each ECU flashed and let them compete against each other using your tools - you get the royalty from each flash and they get to tune customer bikes.

If you hope to have as wide of an install base as Woolich, the tuner footprint (which is far larger than the single user install base) will need to trust you are not competing against them with a price advantage. You don't need to pay your own royalties. They do.

Most tuner have all the tools from all the vendors and flash multiples of bikes per month billing the license cost back to the customer, while end users only buy once.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
No need to be modest, you've already stated everyone in the hacker/reverse engineering world already has all the FT/Woolich/DJ resources hacked so its a safe bet you have said data right on your hard drive.
That's not exactly what I said. I didn't say EVERYONE has ALL the files, I said the people selling XDFs didn't make them and that for the most part, they are all derived from FT's defs. These defs get resold constantly, sometimes modified slightly along the way, and the price for them goes down and down as people undercut prices. No one that is doing their own RE work would devalue that work by selling them.

But my real response to the above "Flex of brilliance" is the same it always was.

Just give your tools to tuners & end users, then charge them a license fee for each ECU flashed and let them compete against each other using your tools - you get the royalty from each flash and they get to tune customer bikes.

If you hope to have as wide of an install base as Woolich, the tuner footprint (which is far larger than the single user install base) will need to trust you are not competing against them with a price advantage. You don't need to pay your own royalties. They do.

Most tuner have all the tools from all the vendors and flash multiples of bikes per month billing the license cost back to the customer, while end users only buy once.

I'm still a super small business and not well known in the US. Woolich has 790k likes on FB and every time someone asks about ECU flashing a 1000 different fanboys and shills chime in promoting their favorite tuner. It not like I can count on you or Bren to promote my business so that I grow. I mean, you seem to actually go out of your way to fuck me over. Besides working with (winning) racers on a national platform, the only other way I can get noticed is to offer a flash and brag about the HP gains like the tuners do. But with respect to the SC82, I'm not competing with all the tuners... just Bren. All tuners (even you) are welcome to use my tuning studio for the SC82 once it's out and the people that are buying the remote/self flash now are basically pre-paying for the full studio license and getting some bonus tunes to tide them over until the full studio is released. The only reason I need to offer the tunes now is because that shady fucking tuner in the UK that I sold the master tool to shared a license with Bren and then fed him a bare minimum defining to get some promotion material with false claims going.

·
Registered
213 Posts

It is fun, watching you go Bad cop, then Good Cop on MCU, hoping you’ll sway him to get suckered into your dishonesty. Thankfully he appears much smarter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I thought I would share a website posting that Troy had designed for BrentuningMoto.com slamming the competition Woolich Racing https://www.woolichracing.com/ . This was only up about 8 hours when Woolich likely got messaged on the website by someone ... someone.. It attempts of course to make BrenTuning look like the innovator of BMW what Troy Gleason wants to call full time closed loop mode. There was no reason to try to make Woolich software look bad, other than their personal gains in getting people hooked in a subscription service on a DimSport Handheld. Just as what it appears they wanted to do with the Honda 1000RR-R-SP.

Check out the highlighted areas at the bottom in Green and Red. Do you really think Brendan and Brian Griffin have all that time to put into the dyno R&D they brag so much about?

·
Registered
426 Posts
The prices they charge for their knockoff tunes are wild.

It's evident on some youtube videos that people really believe BrenTuning has great ECU-cracking skills. They're claiming they're working on an R1 tune that will be available "soon," which I know means "as soon as someone figures it out we will put up a video, claim FIRST, and pass it off as our own talent."

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The prices they charge for their knockoff tunes are wild.

It's evident on some youtube videos that people really believe BrenTuning has great ECU-cracking skills. They're claiming they're working on an R1 tune that will be available "soon," which I know means "as soon as someone figures it out we will put up a video, claim FIRST, and pass it off as our own talent."
The first dealer update file came out for the R1 this past week and PVTech sniffed the dealer tool write and was able to figure out the flash process and extract the bin... same process as I used on the SC82. PVTech is a fucking wizard and who Bren's UK partner uses for their R&D. PVTech also does contract work for Termignoni. He's one of the few people in this industry that does real RE work, been in the game for a long time. I believe he is actually the one that cracked flashing the Honda's via the main ECU connector back in like '08.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The first dealer update file came out for the R1 this past week and PVTech sniffed the dealer tool write and was able to figure out the flash process and extract the bin... same process as I used on the SC82. PVTech is a fucking wizard and who Bren's UK partner uses for their R&D. PVTech also does contract work for Termignoni. He's one of the few people in this industry that does real RE work, been in the game for a long time. I believe he is actually the one that cracked flashing the Honda's via the main ECU connector back in like '08.
So they'll be posting their "first tuned R1" video any day now.

·
Vendor
3,505 Posts
I'm still a super small business and not well known in the US. Woolich has 790k likes on FB and every time someone asks about ECU flashing a 1000 different fanboys and shills chime in promoting their favorite tuner. It not like I can count on you or Bren to promote my business so that I grow. I mean, you seem to actually go out of your way to fuck me over. Besides working with (winning) racers on a national platform, the only other way I can get noticed is to offer a flash and brag about the HP gains like the tuners do. But with respect to the SC82, I'm not competing with all the tuners... just Bren. All tuners (even you) are welcome to use my tuning studio for the SC82 once it's out and the people that are buying the remote/self flash now are basically pre-paying for the full studio license and getting some bonus tunes to tide them over until the full studio is released. The only reason I need to offer the tunes now is because that shady fucking tuner in the UK that I sold the master tool to shared a license with Bren and then fed him a bare minimum defining to get some promotion material with false claims going.
Funny you keep on claiming this nonsense - nobody ever said you are not good at what you do, which it why it always puzzled me why you would risk the relationship with "a team racing on a national platform" just for a chance to read someone else's ECU. Throw it all away, just for a quick peak at the forbidden fruit.

Was the temptation too great? That natural "reverse engineer" DNA take over? Or were you only going to try read and explore that ECU for altruistic reasons... you know, ethical hacking.

You really should share that story with the class.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Damn I missed all the live action... that’s a bummer... I’ve been subscribed to 650ib since 2016. He seems to be a nice guy, although I’ve never respected the bike build series membership bs.... any raffle can be fixed in my opinion. Yea Bren seems to be just another snake charmer.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Funny you keep on claiming this nonsense - nobody ever said you are not good at what you do, which it why it always puzzled me why you would risk the relationship with "a team racing on a national platform" just for a chance to read someone else's ECU. Throw it all away, just for a quick peak at the forbidden fruit.

Was the temptation too great? That natural "reverse engineer" DNA take over? Or were you only going to try read and explore that ECU for altruistic reasons... you know, ethical hacking.

You really should share that story with the class.
Are you talking about the ECU you sent the Yates at the PittRace weekend? I didn't risk shit "just to get a read of your ECU". You were muddying the waters between me and Aaron since the start of the season, pushing them down the same routes all the other failed SC77 teams previously traveled. Aaron was skeptical of my ECU work because of you all season and the events that took place at PittRace was the last straw for me. I was never fired, I quit.

Here is the story for the class...
Aaron stuck your ECU into a working bike for a warmup session and Ashton came back to the hot pit early because the QS was no longer working... and of course everyone was looking at me to fix the problem. After the races Sat Aaron started prepping the backup bike and that was throwing codes galore. Neither bike was functional. I tried doing some RE work trackside but it was 100F on the tarmac and I couldn't focus so I told everyone I was heading home and that I was taking all the ECUs with me. Florian had warned me the week before that his sportskit menu patch (which you were including in your flash) was buggy but I hadn't had a chance to talk to him about exactly what he changed so my plan was to do a read to see if I could see anything that would have caused the issues earlier that day. I couldn't give a fuck about your tune and if it wasn't for the timezone difference I would have just got the info I needed from Florian directly. However, I never actually got around to reading your stupid ECU because was up till 4am just updating my DK2 (2019 SC77 ECU) ecu def for Sunday. I decided to try and get a few hours of sleep before rushing back to the track at 7am for the morning warmup. I ended up oversleeping a little and in my haste to get out the door, grabbed my Talon ECU instead of yours. When I got back to the track and found out Aaron was still trying to use your ECU for the race I ended my relationship with them. This was before I/they realized I forgot your ECU at home.

Luckily Cameron is 100% in charge of the SC82 this year and I won't have to deal with any of your or Aarons bullshit if I do end up working with the team again.

·
BOTM Moderator
477 Posts
Maybe a dumb questions.. Why doesn't Honda provide support to professional racers like Yates or Ashton?

101 - 120 of 128 Posts