Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So much info online on this, and I am sure I will get lots of different opinions here. Yes, I did Google and Dave Moss tuning and all that, but I am guessing the pic below is hot tear.

The track I ride at is mostly right handers and I gun the hell out of the bike out of corners, as that is where I drop 99% of other competitors. So that may also play a role.

Question is, should I raise pressures, should I do some random suspension adjustment - this being voodoo? 2019 SP1. Rear was 2.1 bar hot, but the day got colder and I almost had a high side with the Pirelli SuperCorsa SPs at this pressure a month ago. So with the Dunlop Q4 (pic and tire in question) I ran 2.1 then 1.9 to 2 bar as the day progressed.

Should I raise the rear preload, increase damping, decrease compression, get another cat, buy some cake, drink less coffee and then paint the bike blue?
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, plan is to lower the pressures. apparently cold tear is when the pressure is too high, only that one spot gets hot and not the whole carcass. Only doing another track day in a month or so, will test my theory then.

Tires and suspension can become a total black hole/rabbit's hole, so I will be winging it maximally.

·
Premium Member
2018 CBR 1000 SP1
74 Posts
No, plan is to lower the pressures. APPARENTLY cold tear is when the pressure is too high, only that one spot gets hot and not the whole carcass. Only doing another track day in a month or so, will test my theory then.

Tires and suspension can become a total black hole/rabbit's hole, so I will be winging it maximally.
I had similar wear on my rear when I used q4s for a couple track days on my 2011 CBR 1000 at PBIR (right turn heavy track). I ran the rear between 27-29 hot, and would adjust up or down by 0.5 psi after each session till I started seeing the cold tear even out a little bit. In my case it was more of a tire pressure thing that a suspension thing. I think if there were weird zig-zag patterns in the wear marks, then that would be more of an indication of a damping issue in the rear suspension. But based on the picture above, I think it's more likely a tire pressure thing. If you are measuring your pressure in bars, can you adjust in smaller increments between 1.9 and 2.0?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
100% MattCBR1000, you are right. I do run 27 psi hot, but I think I need to drop it even more. The SP is quite deceptive when it comes to suspension, as it is automated and will compensate quite a lot, and is quite un-adjustable, speaking relatively. I have had the same wear issues on every single tire I ran, the Q4 actually performed the best in this regard so far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts