Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 CBR1000RR SP
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I finally got in a long enough ride to evaluate the new rear brake caliper. With the racing rotor and stock caliper it doesn't has much in the way of braking capability, with the new caliper it is just a hair better but then the brake pads are new and not a lot of heat so I don't know what characteristics they are supposed to have so maybe a long ride on a twisty road would heat them up enough to know more about them. When I get the new rims and mount the parts I may change back to the stock rear rotor to see how that feels with the new caliper.

Now I am thinking about some titanium banjo bolts on the brakes. Anyone know the size, if so great, then I will not have to pull one and measure the diameter, thread pitch, and length. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
John, I used the cheaper brembo caliper on a conversion I did for my Ninja 1000. It had horrible rear brakes, too. I used rhe same rear caliper that in on the 2020 cbr 100rr-r.

Like you, i spent way too much on a new carrier. I had to order mine from Japan. The master cylinder I used was cheap, but nothing else was. I had a rough time bleeding it, but finally had the pedal feel how I wanted it to be. I ended up using a 34mmm rear piston and a 12.6 mm rear master cylinder, so I knew the ratios were fairly close to what they needed to be.

Spring arrives and I am excited to try this upgraded brake. I make my first stop and .......whatever. It might have been better than stock. Or not. Certainly not worth what I had into it. Close to 350.00.

By this time, I was ok with throwing away money, so i ordered a 32mm rear caliper of the same series. I installed it in place if the 34. The pedal felt more stiff, and solid. Power and feel was a little better, or not. It felt very similar to before. Disappointing to say the least.

I remembered how much the Vesrah rear pads had helped my stock brakes. They were so good that they turned the stock rear brake into something that was useable. They were awesome, up front. With this in mind, I ripped out the credit card. Another 40.00 on it would only increase the monthly minimum payment by .44 cents, over the next 73 years, so why not?

That's what this caliper needed. Even though the pads we received, with the caliper, say "Brembo", they are still fairly mild, beginner like.

Not so with the vesrah. These gave an amazing feel, with excellent control. I'm sure other pads will work just as well, as long as they dont say "galfer" or "ebc" on them, but I promise these are excellent. It sucks, but you are about 47.00 away from excellent.

If you are married, and your wife will see the credit card statement, dont order them from here unless you want to explain why you gave "Curvy Girl" 47.00. Their customer service is excellent and they are a good company, but the name has its challenges. The pads are all over ebay.

I wish I had ordered these before switching from a 34mm rear Brembo caliper to 32mm. The brembo pads were rhe weak spot, not my caliper master cylinder ratios.

·
Classifieds Moderator
709 Posts
I have that exact same rear rotor and agree it only has a fraction of the OEM rotor's stopping power. But how much rear brake do we use?
I finally got in a long enough ride to evaluate the new rear brake caliper. With the racing rotor and stock caliper it doesn't has much in the way of braking capability, with the new caliper it is just a hair better but then the brake pads are new and not a lot of heat so I don't know what characteristics they are supposed to have so maybe a long ride on a twisty road would heat them up enough to know more about them. When I get the new rims and mount the parts I may change back to the stock rear rotor to see how that feels with the new caliper.

Now I am thinking about some titanium banjo bolts on the brakes. Anyone know the size, if so great, then I will not have to pull one and measure the diameter, thread pitch, and length. ;)
M10x1.25 for the stock master cylinder (torque 25 ft-lb)
M10x1.00 for aftermarket Brembo racing calipers (torque 15-17 ft-lb)

I've found some banjo bolts a tad bit long for Brembo racing calipers and you need to use thicker copper washers.

·
Faster Than You!
69 Posts
If you want to order pre-drilled, Ti banjo bolts from Pro Bolt, the part numbers are listed below. Keep in mind that your needs may change based on the type of brake line set up you have. I'm running the Galfer kit for our ABS equipped SC77 (SP1 in my case). This required me to utilize the double banjo bolt as well.

Titanium Banjo Bolt Single M10x(1.25mm) Race Spec - TIBANJOS10RB
Titanium Double Banjo Bolt Front Brake Caliper (1.25mm) Race Spec - TIBANJOD10RZ1B

·
Registered
17 CBR1000RR SP
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I checked my Banjo bolts on the front Calipers and master and the rear master and found they are 10mmx1.25 thread by 21mm long body. The Stock rear caliper is also the same but the new CNC Brembo is 10mmx1.0 x 20mm. I ordered the banjo bolts in titanium and two 8mmx1.25x20mm bolts in titanium for the rear caliper mount.
More bling for the toy.
Once I mount the new BST wheels I will have to weigh the bike again. I have removed 5 pounds from the bike so far, wheels might lose another 5, I hope. We'll see. :)

·
Registered
17 CBR1000RR SP
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I replaced all 5 banjo bolts in the master and calipers brake lines.. Took off 80 grams of steel bolts and put in 31 grams of titanium. The front brakes were a pain to bleed and I didn't feel like I had gotten all the air out. The rear system is mostly horizontal so air moves along the hoses but the front is vertical and I am bleeding at the calipers, the low point. That was Tuesday, today I went to the garage with all the overhead LEDs on, lighting up the space like an amusement park, and spotted the breed screw on the front master cylinder. Makes sense since it is the highest point, or I could have looked at the manual before starting. (head slap) Removed the bleed screw cover, put on the 8mm wrench, connect the clear plastic hose to the bleed screw nipple, squeeze the front brake lever and hold, open the bleed screw, and there it is the air bubble I felt. Did it again to double check but no more air and the lever is solid. Riding the bike to work tomorrow. :)
I have found that the Brembo supplied rear brake pads for the CNC under slung rear caliper are definitely racing pads, very don't work for a damn cold but got them really hot and they have a pretty good bite, but hard to keep them hot on the street.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts