Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my first post. I purchased a 2013 CBR1000RR a few days ago from an individual. It had 12k miles and looked pretty good while inspecting it. After I purchased it, I took it home and took off all the fairings to give it a good buff and polish. Well I noticed some frame scrapes. It’s obvious the bike had been laid over. The rear tire has a nail in it so I ordered a new set so I didn’t really pay attention to the front tire since I was gonna replace it anyway. Well the front tire it wearing uneven on the left side while sitting on the bike.
After looking more into everything, I’ve noticed the right clip on hits the frame before bottoming out on the bumper built into the bottom tree. I moved the clip on as far forward as I could and it doesn’t hit the frame anyone but it’s just barely missing it and still about an inch difference in the eft one.
What could this be? Something else bent? I don’t want to put new tires on and the front do the same and ruins a tire too quick.

·
Classifieds Moderator
717 Posts
The triple tree is likely twisted slightly. Try loosen and realign the triple clamps and fork clamps. Or worst but unlikely scenario, the fork tubes are bent. When you ride the bike does the ignition switch line up with the center of the front fairing support bracket?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Yea first thing would be to "align" the front end. Search youtube videos of Dave Moss front wheel installation/wheel alignment and/or triple tree alignment. There are lots of good resources out there.

It's not uncommon for the forks to "twist" in the triples during a crash. What I do after a spill on my DRZ400 where the front end gets tweaked is: Loosen lower triple clamps, loosen front axle pinch bolts, pump the front fork holding the front brake, tighten pinch bolts, tighten lower triple. That usually fixes it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So this is my first post. I purchased a 2013 CBR1000RR a few days ago from an individual. It had 12k miles and looked pretty good while inspecting it. After I purchased it, I took it home and took off all the fairings to give it a good buff and polish. Well I noticed some frame scrapes. It’s obvious the bike had been laid over. The rear tire has a nail in it so I ordered a new set so I didn’t really pay attention to the front tire since I was gonna replace it anyway. Well the front tire it wearing uneven on the left side while sitting on the bike.
After looking more into everything, I’ve noticed the right clip on hits the frame before bottoming out on the bumper built into the bottom tree. I moved the clip on as far forward as I could and it doesn’t hit the frame anyone but it’s just barely missing it and still about an inch difference in the eft one.
What could this be? Something else bent? I don’t want to put new tires on and the front do the same and ruins a tire too quick.
Congratulations with a new purchase :) those clipons look factory. they should have a spike near a the bolt and the top of triple tree has a hole. they should be sticking into each other and after that there is not much adjustment you can do. Factory clipons should not be moving if they are in the right place. for fork alignment procedure you can use this video.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys for the suggestions. I used that video along with the suggestions and it’s still the same way. The clip on is adjusted as far forward as possible and still just taps the frame before the steering is bottoming out. I’m putting the new tires on Saturday and do some riding and see what happens. I haven’t ridden this bike except for a couple of miles because of the back tire having a nail in it when I purchased it.

·
Registered
598 Posts
In that case the clip on is probably bent. Take it off and check to see if it is straight.

The tire wear could just be because he took lefts faster than rights. Not uncommon. Does the motorcycle ride straight, upper triple tree looks straight when riding?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’ll take it off tomorrow and check it out. The tire wear difference is considerable. May be hard to tell in the pictures and it seems the tires had a decent amount of life left for that much one sided wear. I’m not able to and haven’t been able to ride it, the rear tire had a nail in it and low on air when I test rode it so I’m waiting on new tires. Hopefully I’ll have them this weekend

·
Registered
327 Posts
This is a VERY CONSIDERABLE difference, like you said. Looking at the picture, the right side (looking at the pic) past center is gone, and the center is in much better shape. Not what you should get in any circumstances.
Since you reset the forks, see how the new tires wear. You should be able to see pretty soon. The “dust” pattern from the street on a brand new tire should show how the tire sets on the road. As for the clip-on, it is probably bent, but if the forks are true, it won’t have any ill effects on the tire wear..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is the new front tire after about 40 miles. Seems to be wearing in the middle much better. I aligned the forks again and beat the tire on the wall like suggested and seemed to straight it up. The right clip on is still sitting further back than the left and still hits the frame before bottoming. I’ll post some pictures
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

1 - 14 of 14 Posts