Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading on a UK forum that people were able to fit the rear shock from the 2012 CBR100rr into their 2008 model, I attempted it. However, I was not able to fit the shock into the bike. It was too long. It would have been a tight fit....but the length was a problem.

Was this because the shock needed to be compressed with more adjustments? Or does the shock need to be modify to fit? I searched the forum but did not see any results.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
After reading on a UK forum that people were able to fit the rear shock from the 2012 CBR100rr into their 2008 model, I attempted it. However, I was not able to fit the shock into the bike. It was too long. It would have been a tight fit....but the length was a problem.

Was this because the shock needed to be compressed with more adjustments? Or does the shock need to be modify to fit? I searched the forum but did not see any results.
Im not 100% up on this mod but did you need to swap over the plates and dogbone as well or just the shock?

·
Registered
66 Posts
12+ Shock fits straight in no mods needed! all interchangeable from 08-16 same with the front forks. Fits in easy!

You correct you got the right shock also?

Dont know how you couldnt fit it. How did you support the bike? Maybe the rear dropped slightly and you didnt notice. As then you might have to jack bike up as such for the bolts fit in the linkage. If you have fixed pegs use axle stands and front stand. Remove rear wheel aswell makes life easier. Or support around rear subframe from above.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i had the bike leaning on its kickstand with someone holding it. I was able to move the rear wheel to pivot the subframe. The problem I had was that the bottom of the shock would hit the rod...thing that looks like a mini-driveshaft.. maybe what Puff refers to as the dogbone.

I dont have the tools to adjust the height of the stock, but the seller told it me would fit without adjustments.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Its nothing to do with adjusting the shock. Forget that part.
You really need to support bike properly imagine if it fell or something. As once you remove rear shock the whole back end will collapse down. You cant do it on the sidestand
Only way it seems for you is If you have a strong friend get him to hold the rear end while you remove shock (maybe another person holding the front of bike aswell straight)
Get linkage out of way/remove it/enough of it so shock goes in, bolt in the top of shock. Then your friend will have to lift your bike to when the linkage then lines up with the bottom mount of the shock.
You needs stands etc though ideally. This isnt ideal way

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm i could have sworn i had the rear extended fully. I was able to reinstall the old shock back in without issue. I will try again. thanks for clarifying.

Yeah, I wanted to use the car jack on on wheel to prop up the rear...but the previous owner installed an ugly rear fender that covers the whole top of the wheel. It is screwed in a manner that requires me to take off the rear wheel to remove it. I dont have rear stands.

·
Registered
978 Posts
If you have Sato hooks, you can put a rod through them and hold the bike up that way. In the past I have hung the back of the bike from the passenger pegs roped to the ceiling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts