Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CBR1000RR
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have about 23k on my 07 1krr and am planning on checking the valve clearance within the next thousand or so miles (yes I know it’s over the interval). Instead of measuring everything and buying individual shims from Honda, I figured I’d just buy a kit of 130 shims from Hot Cams. I’d rather have them and not need them then need them and have to wait. My question to people who have checked their valve clearance around this mileage is did you need any 3 shims of the same size? The kit comes with 3 of each side so I was wondering what the likelihood of me needing more than 3 of one size. I know nobody can tell me for certain, just trying to get an idea. Thanks in advance guys!

·
A1 SuperMod!
1,029 Posts
It's entirely up to chance. A brand new cylinder head assembled with brand new valves and buckets will need randomly sized shims within a certain range.

I have the Hotcams kit, but soon ran out of 1 size.

Once you tear down several heads and have a nice collection of shims in the ball-park you don't have to worry about not having the right shims.

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000rr
1,030 Posts
A couple sorta related questions....
Are there any indicaters that valve adjustment is needed other than just tearing everything apart and physically checking?

Would a 2015 era bike be any easier to get to the valves than a 2005 era? It was a pretty big job just to get to the plugs on my 05.

·
A1 SuperMod!
1,029 Posts
A couple sorta related questions....
Are there any indicaters that valve adjustment is needed other than just tearing everything apart and physically checking?

Would a 2015 era bike be any easier to get to the valves than a 2005 era? It was a pretty big job just to get to the plugs on my 05.
No. Both are same design. Have to remove camshafts to swap out shim under the buckets.

To do it perfectly, best to remove motor. Otherwise you inevitably marr up the cylinder head around the sprockets and chain.

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000RR Turbo, 2002 CBR 954RR
99 Posts
I've never bought shims as my local service shops and dealers have them on an exchange basis. You should find what you need and call around before buying some. I'd give a copy of my shim size Excel worksheet but it's not an allowed extension here.

I checked my clearance after 30k miles, 10k with the turbo and they were all within spec, but I had to change to thinner shims after I lapped the valves.

·
Registered
2007 CBR1000RR
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do any of you know if you need to remove tension from the cam chain to check valve clearance? I wouldn’t think so but then again the manual says to do it. I would like to leave the CCT alone if I can unless I need to do any adjustment.

·
A1 SuperMod!
1,029 Posts
Do any of you know if you need to remove tension from the cam chain to check valve clearance? I wouldn’t think so but then again the manual says to do it. I would like to leave the CCT alone if I can unless I need to do any adjustment.
No. It is not necessary to relieve tension from CCT.

·
Registered
2007 CBR1000RR
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No. It is not necessary to relieve tension from CCT.
Thank you, good sir. I’ve heard people argue that the chain can pull one end of the camshaft down skewing the results closer to the chain. But I will take your advice. No way am I paying $75 for that little cct tool that everyone says breaks after the first use lmao, I’ll machine one myself before I buy that thing.

·
A1 SuperMod!
1,029 Posts
The camshaft center circle is spans a relatively large portion of the camshaft's profile. You will not have any appreciable difference in measured valve clearance by being a degree or two off.

A small screwdriver is all that is required for the OEM CCT. No special tool required.

·
Registered
2007 CBR1000RR
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The camshaft center circle is spans a relatively large portion of the camshaft's profile. You will not have any appreciable difference in measured valve clearance by being a degree or two off.

A small screwdriver is all that is required for the OEM CCT. No special tool required.
Yeah I figured an eye glass flat head and little pair vice grips can hold it in place should any adjustment be needed. As soon as I get my valve cover gasket and spark plugs I’m going to dive into it. I’ll let you guys know the results if anyones curious. I’m at 25k by the way.

·
Registered
2007 CBR1000RR
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just wanted to give y’all an update on my valve inspection. The bike is an 07 with 25,500 miles. It sees 6-9 trackdays a year plus aggressive canyon riding 2-3 times a week. I also do top speed pulls frequently. I know, I’m a hooligan. Everything is still in spec. Below is a picture of my recorded valve clearance. Thanks for the help guys.
Handwriting Font Material property Writing Parallel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts