Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - Did a bit of riding on my way home from work last night. Temp was about 70 - 65 later in the evening. I rode non-stop about 30 miles home, then filled up with 92 at a shell station. Noticed the "problem". Rode another 20 miles before finally coming home. This is when I noticed the knocking at idle. It doesn't do it very often at idle, but it was noticable this time.

It's hard to get it on video, but you can watch the tach dip. It's very noticable in person - you can hear the engine missing.

Right click, save as:

http://www.casadelafiesta.com/vids/mvi_0312.avi

http://www.casadelafiesta.com/vids/mvi_0313.avi

Everytime you see the tach needle make a sudden drop is when it misses/knocks. When I'm actually starting out, it is even more pronounced. You'll notice the temp is at around 220-225, fan on. That's only because I had to get the camera ready while the bike was idling. I have another vid of the bike doing the same thing, but temp is at 175-180.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Well not as bad as I was expecting. Wish you could get some video of it doing it from a standing start. Sure you don't have an air leak? I know it's your new baby but if you can spray some carb cleaner at the intake boots if it bogs or sputters you have an air leak. That would be my guess from the video. I'm sure you already are losing you patience with this issue. I hope you come to a solution soon!! Good Luck!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Dude, you need to take that to the shop for warrenty work. Mine don't do that. Seems like you got a bad spark plug or bad spark plug wire or even the coil.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Ok, obviously you're mistaken about what ping/knocking is. In no way is that ping or knocking. That is a textbook perfect example of an engine missing. Thats a whole different world, one in which your engine is not in danger. Its not good for it but its not going to bend anything either.
With ping or knocking, the fuel burns before its supposed to, thus the shockwave of the fuel burning catches the piston before it reaches maximum compression. When that happens that single piston's explosion fights the rest of the engine, can cause bent rods and major damage.
Very noticible. The bike would be lurching and clonking basicly sounding like its about to fall apart, whcih it might. That and the RPM gauge would be all over the place.
What you have is just a major annoyance that can cause crappy power and stalls but its not going to screw up your engine by its self.
Its going to be one of these things:
Spark plugs
ECU
Coil
Fuel delivery, running too rich on possibly, but not likely, too lean.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that I hope when i pick my RR up on May 10th that it doesnt have this problem. I hope that you bring this bike back to the dealership because no one should have to deal with this. On another note is that an Audi S4 I see?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Jrod....you took it to the dealer and they couldn't re-create the problem :headscra: My kid could tell that it doesn't idle right and is missing. That's definitely not pinging as Vigis said and is a miss created by poor spark or fuel mix. I'd be willing to bet one of your plug wires is not seated properly or is bad. If the dealer can't help you then I would take it to another dealer or demand that the regional Honda rep come take a look (check out page 228-229 of the owners manual). This is easy to see there is a problem. My problem is just plain old pinging and get's looked at May 13th. Good Luck.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You can see and hear your problem. Nice video.

I would take it right back to the dealer and tell them you will return it under the lemon law if it is not fixed right away.

A monkey can see and hear the problem.

Maybe I wont buy a CBR now. Can you imagine if they have a massive recall? You will be waiting forever for your bike.

Good Luck and let us know what happens.

K1

·
Registered
526 Posts
Odds are something like this is a monkey fix, easy, simple.
Now that I've taken a look at that video, other postings and the polls I posted I'm thinking your problem isnt related to the other problem at all.
I'd be willing to bet you just got one of the usual, unavoidable lemons.
The other problem, the ping, looks to be more of a design issue.
Take that video in to the service department and if they stall or say no or whatever, raise hell. Take it to regional Honda if need be but get that fixed. Lemon law is totally on your side.
Did notice you only had like 150 miles on the bike. Try changing the oil before you raise a stink.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Karaya One said:
Maybe I wont buy a CBR now. Can you imagine if they have a massive recall? You will be waiting forever for your bike.
I can't imagine it's that big of a deal. If there is a recall, they will iron things out ahead of time to maximize turn around time. Keep in mind, most people are having no problems at all.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Every new bike has issues. Honda has been pretty good about avoiding most of them and correcting those that do pop up. A recall is good and bad. If theres a problem then it gets fixed instead of just ignoring it.
For me it would be a non-issue for purchasing the bike. Not to mention odds are any recall will be something like, take bike to dealer, 1 hour installing parts, done.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I checked my bike, and it is a pretty smooth idle.
I have to agree with everyone above, you have a different problem here. Impossible to say what it is from the video, but very likely something simple like clogged injector / fouled plugs etc.

On the pinging issue, i was stuck in traffic today on the way home, and as my bike heated up, i noticed the pinging / knocking got much woarse. Then , as i started moving, and the temp fell, the pinging was almost gone..... hmmmmmmmmmmm.
I'm thinking oil viscosity again - changing with temperature.....
It remids me of the days when I used a heavy weight oil to shut up a rattling car engine that would chatter / knock at low revs under load.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.