Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assuming all 1000rr VIN stickers are located on the left main frame member just above the uppers. Very visible big white sticker on an all black bike. Does this bother anyone else? Can it be removed without legal reprisals?

·
Registered
289 Posts
That's not true. It's illegal to remove the VIN plate or sticker. It's a federal law. It's also illegal to paint over it or alter it in any way. Your vehicle can seized and taken apart to locate the "Con-VIN" on the frame as a result of removing the visible one.

The reason for seizing your bike is to determine that the bike is not stolen. Thieves remove the visible VIN and/or replace it was a fake one.

Yes, you would get your bike back after they locate the con-vin on the frame but you would be without a bike in the meantime. This could take days.

Don't listen to the "well, I've done it before..." so it should be ok.

Don't get me wrong we've all done things not exactly legal but you asked about "reprisals" and I'm giving you an honest answer.

Ask your dealer or call your local police about vehicle laws.

·
Registered
289 Posts
LDH?

Is that the chinese lady from Mad TV?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not sure what state you're in, but I know in PA they will confisdcate your bike if they can't "easily" read your VIN number. Friend of mine had it happen. He got it back, but it took over a week plus about $500 for his lawyer to write a letter and make some calls.

Bug

·
Registered
406 Posts
oooooooooh..... jakes bike is stolen!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
RuthlessOne said:
That's not true. It's illegal to remove the VIN plate or sticker. It's a federal law. It's also illegal to paint over it or alter it in any way. Your vehicle can seized and taken apart to locate the "Con-VIN" on the frame as a result of removing the visible one.

The reason for seizing your bike is to determine that the bike is not stolen. Thieves remove the visible VIN and/or replace it was a fake one.

Yes, you would get your bike back after they locate the con-vin on the frame but you would be without a bike in the meantime. This could take days.

Don't listen to the "well, I've done it before..." so it should be ok.

Don't get me wrong we've all done things not exactly legal but you asked about "reprisals" and I'm giving you an honest answer.

Ask your dealer or call your local police about vehicle laws.
So this is going to affect me when I go and get my bike instepected? I had the frame powdercoated and the vin sticker is now gone

·
Moderator, April 2006, Feb 2007 BOTM Winner
6,110 Posts
its not goin to affect anyone in anyway.. you will be able to get an inspection with no problems

·
Serial Killer
2,058 Posts
chimpo414 said:
Why in hell would someone take the freaking sticker off of a stock frame in the first place? Because the sticker is ugly?
Precisely; I took all the stickers off my bike cuz they were ugly

·
Registered
197 Posts
VIN easily visibile. Less probability of interest by the authorities.

VIN not easily visible. More probability of interest by the authorities.

Yes the VIN is usually stamped on the headstock and upon closer inspection it's there but removing other tags invites additional scrutiny.

Actual results may vary.

·
Premium Member
14,388 Posts
it illegal here in nc. dont know about other states.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.