Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
REMOVE THESE FILTERS FROM YOUR BIKE.

After reading on the forums here about the Sprint F1 letting a heap of material through I started investigating. Turns out people were having issues with the P08 as well, which is what I have had in my bike for the last 2000km (1200miles).

Here is what it looked like.......

20210217_190242.jpg
20210217_190255.jpg
20210217_192734.jpg
20210217_192804.jpg
20210217_192817.jpg
20210217_193701.jpg

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE. I live in Victoria Australia, its not a desert its green, I don't commute, I don't ride on dirt roads EVER. Its done less than half a standard service interval. Imagine how much damage has/would be done if you left it 6000km without checking as per standard service intervals. Its cleaner on the damn "dirty" side.

DO NOT USE THESE FILTERS!

Hook 'em!
2017 CBR1000S1
So, in the early days of motorsports and into the 1960's, racers didn't bother using air filters because they knew they'd be doing rebuilds anyway. Super high flow filters like K&N and Sprint are a compromise between NO Filter and OEM. They don't filter as well as OEM, but at least they provide some filtration so small animals won't get stuck inside the air box. 馃槣

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, in the early days of motorsports and into the 1960's, racers didn't bother using air filters because they knew they'd be doing rebuilds anyway. Super high flow filters like K&N and Sprint are a compromise between NO Filter and OEM. They don't filter as well as OEM, but at least they provide some filtration so small animals won't get stuck inside the air box. 馃槣
I understand that the level of filtration would be reduced however I find this unacceptable, and want other Road/Track users to be aware of this.

Registered
I've used a KN air filter (I know the reputation around here) and even though it gets absolutely filthy on the external side, to the point where I question if it's even worse than the stock filter's air flow, there's never a speck of pollen or dust inside my airbox even after 15000 miles.

Did Sprint include a metal frame? The KN filter has a metal bracket that goes on top to push the filter into the original seal groove. Maybe it's not the filter that's bad it's the gap between the air box and filter.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've used a KN air filter (I know the reputation around here) and even though it gets absolutely filthy on the external side, to the point where I question if it's even worse than the stock filter's air flow, there's never a speck of pollen or dust inside my airbox even after 15000 miles.

Did Sprint include a metal frame? The KN filter has a metal bracket that goes on top to push the filter into the original seal groove. Maybe it's not the filter that's bad it's the gap between the air box and filter.
I'm with you on K&N had one come in on a bike I owned and it was completely blocked up on the dirty side and not a single thing was in the airbox.

It doesn't come with anything, it didn't even come in a box. Was in a plastic sealed bag as it stands. It doesn't even have a rubber gasket, so even more reason to stick clear of them.

Hook 'em!
2017 CBR1000S1
If "more horsepower" is your goal, go with high flow. If higher filtration is your goal, go with OEM or a quality aftermarket filter that doesn't promote increase in horsepower.

Some of the best premium air filters will stop anything 2 microns or larger, and most particles from 1 to 4 microns in size.

The K&N bench test: Test Dust Used (ISO) Coarse 22% < 10 Microns; Remainder 10 - 180 microns

I'm not sure they even publish results on what makes it through the filter. Their focus is being less restrictive.

Registered
I always recommend people stay with OEM air filters.
These bikes are fast enough already, why risk permanent engine damage to make 1-2 hp which your butt dyno probably cannot even feel!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I always recommend people stay with OEM air filters.
These bikes are fast enough already, why risk permanent engine damage to make 1-2 hp which your butt dyno probably cannot even feel!
Perfect example of why. These filters are trash.

Registered
It hurts to look at those pictures. Hopefully very little permanent engine damage has occurred.
All that dirt will cause the valve seats to wear at a higher than normal rate which would cause the valves to "tighten". Make sure you do the valve check on time

Registered
Am I seeing things or are those dust/ sand around the throttle body? That's shocking!
Thanks for the post A as I was interested in getting a PM08. Not now definitely.

PS could it be that the filter edger doesn't sit properly and intake air bypasses the element??

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Am I seeing things or are those dust/ sand around the throttle body? That's shocking!
Thanks for the post A as I was interested in getting a PM08. Not now definitely.

PS could it be that the filter edger doesn't sit properly and intake air bypasses the element??
You are 100% seeing all sorts of dust!
Well it doesn't even have a rubber gasket like the OEM so it could well be. The ones from the BMW does have a rubber gasket and it looks the same so I don't think its THE issue but it is AN issue.

Registered
would love to know what the manufacturer's comment would be:)

after all it's expensive @ 2x the cost of the OEM unit

Registered
2015 Honda CBR 1000rr non ABS
Been running a Sprint P08 filter for 10k miles now and several years without a single issue or spec of dust or debris on the clean side of the filter or in the air box and I ride through all kinds of road construction and dust/dirt from construction sites.

Sounds like it wasn't installed correctly.

Never read a single review of this sort either and I did extensive research before changing out the OEM filter.

Registered
Been running a Sprint P08 filter for 10k miles now and several years without a single issue or spec of dust or debris on the clean side of the filter or in the air box and I ride through all kinds of road construction and dust/dirt from construction sites.

Never read a single review of this sort either and I did extensive research before changing out the OEM filter.
Haven't heard from you in months!?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Ok.... You do realise that I posted pictures from multiple bikes? I also have two more people that have submitted the same issue on a 2008 CBR and a 2017 R1. SO thats 4 different bikes with the same issue across all.

another thread showing same dust issue.

Registered
2015 Honda CBR 1000rr non ABS
Ok.... You do realise that I posted pictures from multiple bikes? I also have two more people that have submitted the same issue on a 2008 CBR and a 2017 R1. SO thats 4 different bikes with the same issue across all.

another thread showing same dust issue.
These all recent issues?
Many something has changed with the filter recently.
I purchased mine in 2017 and it's been in use ever since. No issues

1 - 20 of 30 Posts