Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
In all the bikes I've mounted Sprint filters, they all have the same issue, were basically the air goes around the filter, and it seems to be the reason or part of the reason for dust in the airbox. There is a little trick, using Petroleum Jelly on the edges of the filter. So far it has worked well and I never seen any relevant dust that I haven't seen on OEM filters. And my area can be a bit dusty mostly on summer.

·
Registered
2015 Honda CBR 1000rr non ABS
1,750 Posts
You could also use thin foam rubber gasket material with a sticky backing sold in rolls at any hardware/autoparts store.
The sprint design without a sealing gasket isn't the best design considering the variations in filter housing and airbox dealing surface manufacturing variation but the filter media technology is solid.
Try taking handful of sand/ dust/ whatever out of your vacuum and getting it to go through the media with some light compressed air.
Ain't gonna happen!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Nothing wrong with the Honda filters.......
Absolutely not. If I had it to do all over again I'd just stick with the stock filter. I went with the sprint P08 for the media and dry cleaning (vs oiled filters like K&N)

Honda stock filter is one of the best filters available and are commonly used as a standard for airflow and filtration testing by other filter manufacturers.

If you don't have a highly modified (internal mods) engine stick with the stocker, it flows more than enough air

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
You could also use thin foam rubber gasket material with a sticky backing sold in rolls at any hardware/autoparts store.
The sprint design without a sealing gasket isn't the best design considering the variations in filter housing and airbox dealing surface manufacturing variation but the filter media technology is solid.
Try taking handful of sand/ dust/ whatever out of your vacuum and getting it to go through the media with some light compressed air.
Ain't gonna happen!
Regardless of the "fixes" it's obvious there is a massive design flaw that is not acceptable here. No other filter manufacturer requires you to go DIY a gasket to make the thing seal, which im not convinced is the issue as the BMW one has a gasket and it was worse than mine inside.
Your logic is like buying an oil filter without a gasket and when it leaks saying "oh well just use gasket sealant on it".

·
Registered
322 Posts
totally agree with "Regardless of the "fixes" it's obvious there is a massive design flaw that is not acceptable here ".
However if you want to make the expensive filter (now that the mistake of buying it in the first place been made:cry:) work, then 2015HRC suggestion can help as it is supposed to be a "lifetime filter"

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
totally agree with "Regardless of the "fixes" it's obvious there is a massive design flaw that is not acceptable here ".
However if you want to make the expensive filter (now that the mistake of buying it in the first place been made:cry:) work, then 2015HRC suggestion can help as it is supposed to be a "lifetime filter"
I'd get with Sprint and see what they say. Obviously there are more than a few having issues with them letting particles by regardless of how it's happening. They have been selling them a while so if it was a known issue you would think they would be looking into it or updating the filter design.

·
Can't Spell
436 Posts
I have yet to see a filter post any meaningful gains on the dyno, so I don't see the point in changing them. K&N's you still have to buy a can of cleaner and oil, so you are still spending money just like buying a new oem filter. Yes, K&N's flow better when they get dirty vs a paper filter when it gets dirty, but on anything where that amount of power matters the filters will never get to that point anyways.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts