Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
The developers are actively working on any speed issues.

- Cricket
I can live with the slowness - the clumsiness of trying to get back to threads I am participating in is beyond a hassle now.

Y'all took a decent forum and totally screwed it up.

And sadly traffic wasn't even that heavy anyway, its only going to go down from here.

·
Administrator
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
the clumsiness of trying to get back to threads I am participating in is beyond a hassle now.
Are you looking for subscribed threads?

How To Find Subscribed Threads

Click on your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site and select “following” from the drop-down menu.

This will bring you to a page where you can choose to view followed discussions, forums, your discussions, and participated discussions.

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
Are you looking for subscribed threads?

How To Find Subscribed Threads

Click on your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site and select “following” from the drop-down menu.

This will bring you to a page where you can choose to view followed discussions, forums, your discussions, and participated discussions.

- Cricket
You have just made my point for me.

I am on a freaking PC, WTF should I hive to "click on the upper menu" and "open a new page" etc etc. as if I was on a mobile phone?

I am now forced to either only look at a summary of subscribed threads or some odd summary of "active" - how about a simple thread list the way forums always operated - that way I can choose what thread I want to enter versus having to continuously live from "filtered lists".

Sorry, but the reason I (and most of the folks I interact with) hardly ever use forums is because all the forums moved to this clumsy filtered view on the world.

Forum operators killed forums. In the pursuit of "cool interfaces" they have been rendered unwieldy.

Did the forum community ask for this arbitrary change?

·
Administrator
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
We understand that there are some inherent changes in moving from vBulletin to Xenforo. However, vBulletin’s infrastructure does not provide the flexibility to be able to provide additional improvements. Continuing on that platform without the ability to maintain a better experience for all of you is just not an option moving forward. We know you expect and deserve continuous improvements over time.

In the past, we have upgraded more slowly. Unfortunately, this became technically difficult and often times would break other features when updates were attempted. Making the bigger investment now in the new platform sets us up to respond faster to your feedback moving forward.

Your security and data are extremely important to us. Modern software and upgrading systems are critical to keep us advanced in providing a better and more secure experience for you to share content. Not updating the software would have made that increasingly difficult over time as other technology advances.

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
We understand that there are some inherent changes in moving from vBulletin to Xenforo. However, vBulletin’s infrastructure does not provide the flexibility to be able to provide additional improvements. Continuing on that platform without the ability to maintain a better experience for all of you is just not an option moving forward. We know you expect and deserve continuous improvements over time.

In the past, we have upgraded more slowly. Unfortunately, this became technically difficult and often times would break other features when updates were attempted. Making the bigger investment now in the new platform sets us up to respond faster to your feedback moving forward.

Your security and data are extremely important to us. Modern software and upgrading systems are critical to keep us advanced in providing a better and more secure experience for you to share content. Not updating the software would have made that increasingly difficult over time as other technology advances.

- Cricket
But that's the point - arbitrary changes to meet some perceived expectation of progression is misinformed and actually counter contributory to a community.

Why is a negative functional change a prerequisite to this modernization?

As it is I am not even visiting the forum - I just see email notifications to threads I have already participated in.

So if a new thread is started that I may have an interest in, I wont see it.- these changes are not going to add to the participation, they are going to reduce them, but hey, at least y'all can check the "we upgraded" box.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I dig the dark mode... but that's about it. This looks like a mobile page and I get on my computer to get away from mobile pages. When I check this site on my phone I click the desktop site button every time. I know it takes time to get used to new forum formats and sometimes changes are for the better. I was there 20 years ago when you had to click each thread reply to read it and I balked at the continuous conversation layout. Somehow this just hurts my eyes though. Everything seems to float. None of the other forums I frequent use this layout so maybe it's just new and I need to adjust, but I find myself more and more in the 'don't fix what's not broken' camp.

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
I have 3 tabs of the old forum still open on my tuning laptop. 1 is the home forum page and 2 others are of thread we are all frequenting and being able to compare the sites side by side between the laptops, the old format is just so much easier to read and skim over.

I see now after reviewing the old look via The Wayback Machine - the old layout used LESS screen real estate, so you could actually skim the various panels without havign to scroll like you are on Facebook.

Each of the elements int he new layout take up about 80% more screen area so you are obligated to scroll - you cant catch the recent threads and the topic threads and the top menu at once.

If you folks can fix the actual amount of screen real estate taken up on the PC then the site might be tolerable, but a it is the ENTIRE 19" laptop screen displays like a mobile phone - it is just one very wide column with huge elements - not a very efficient use fo the screen real estate at all.

·
Registered
420 Posts
None of the other forums I frequent use this layout so maybe it's just new and I need to adjust, but I find myself more and more in the 'don't fix what's not broken' camp.
Must be nice. Of the nine forums I hit every day, six of them now how switched to this platform. Of the three who haven't, I'm sure two of them will any day now since it seems to be a contagion, and the third was bought by Tapatalk last year so you can imagine how that site looks now...

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
Really you have not improved performance if you measure the time it takes to do something. It actually is slower. Real reasons for changes like this on other sites has been money. Not saying it was here but I'm not digging it.

·
Administrator
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
We will be seeing weekly updates (approximately) that are largely fueled by community feedback. While that doesn't mean we can action every request, it does mean we are actively listening to the feedback and sharing it with the developers. We won't get there overnight, but week by week, we will get there.

- Cricket

·
Registered
284 Posts
This is a visual nightmare. How is this the preferred format? I keep coming back because I like the content but it's like someone sneezed information onto the page. Why are the thread authors avatars next to the posts? How is that more relevant than the little envelope that shows what's read, what's new, what I've replied to and what's currently popular? Now I have none of that information, but I do have a bunch of colorful, distracting avatars. There is also ZERO effective separation between posts. Put the post in a box with its buttons, things just look all over the place. I really haven't spent enough time here to gripe beyond that in any detail but it's so overwhelmingly terrible that I'm shocked. Can any of this even be fixed? These forums are like my wife, I live here for years and years and the olive oil is in one cabinet and one day I come home and EVERYTHING HAS BEEN MOVED for no reason whatsoever and the olive oil is GONE. It's extremely frustrating. And here, I'm not getting any wife perks to balance the madness.

·
Administrator
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
This is a visual nightmare. How is this the preferred format? I keep coming back because I like the content but it's like someone sneezed information onto the page. Why are the thread authors avatars next to the posts? How is that more relevant than the little envelope that shows what's read, what's new, what I've replied to and what's currently popular? Now I have none of that information, but I do have a bunch of colorful, distracting avatars. There is also ZERO effective separation between posts. Put the post in a box with its buttons, things just look all over the place. I really haven't spent enough time here to gripe beyond that in any detail but it's so overwhelmingly terrible that I'm shocked. Can any of this even be fixed? These forums are like my wife, I live here for years and years and the olive oil is in one cabinet and one day I come home and EVERYTHING HAS BEEN MOVED for no reason whatsoever and the olive oil is GONE. It's extremely frustrating. And here, I'm not getting any wife perks to balance the madness.
Can you tell me how you are accessing the threads? Are you using the NEW avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site? If so, everything on that page, by default, includes unread posts. From that page, you can also access active topics(popular).

How To Find New Posts

Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

The first icon is for what’s new on the site.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts.

On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics. You can also mark all as read.

I will pass on your feedback to the developers.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
How To Save (Bookmark) Threads Or Posts

This is a great option for those times when you want to save a thread to come back to later. At the bottom of the post, you will see “save”. Click on it.

Once you click on it you can add any notes to remind yourself and then simply click to save.

When you are ready to find the saved bookmarks again later, from the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on your avatar to open the drop-down menu and select “bookmarks”.

- Cricket

21 - 34 of 34 Posts