Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Sunday I bid farwell to my 1000RR. Before I begin I want to reiterate that the cause of the accident was 100% rider error; Going too fast on a unfamiliar road, relying on other's brake lights to let me know when to slow down, feeling too comfortable on the bike. I've been riding since 92, and the 1000RR was my 6th bike. This accident was my first, and hopefully my last.

As the story goes: I was 1/3 from the front of a line of about 15 bikes. I had only been on this road once before on my 600RR, and I should have remembered the close call I had then. I went hot into a corner at about 85, and quickly found myself leaned over to the max, braking as hard as I dared, and quickly running out of road. I went off into the dirt at about 70-75mph, the bike apparently did some amazing flips, as did I. The post-accident festivities were a fiasco I'll get into at a later time. I know I was amazingly lucky as I walked away only with road rash on various parts of my body, a sprained ankle, massively swollen knee, and a bruises on every inch of my body. The helmet took the impact which was meant for my face, and did it well (Arai RX7 Corsair).

Bike on the other hand, did not fare so well. Everything except the engine block was damaged in some way; All plastics gone, swingarm dented, frame cracked. Insurance company totals it out tomorrow, so I went down to the dealer today to put my deposit down on an all black one which I will be taking delivery of on Friday (knee permitting). It's true that the red ones go faster, so I think I need a black one this time to make me go slower ;).

I'm sure you guys want to see pics:
http://article15.7inchtaint.com/pictures/cbr1000rrwreck/

·
Registered
162 Posts
Glad to hear that you are alright. You must be commended for actually saying that you made a mistake. Sorry about your bike though. I have only fallen off of my quad and dirt bike, so I don't know what it is like yet. Well heal up and get back on.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Wow :shock: , that sucks. Any accident at that speed that you can leave in anything other than an ambulance, is as good an outcome you can ask for. Good gear is the best investment you can make in your bike/yourself. It saved my life and I can't imagine ever riding without it.

I gotta bust on you for a minute. Judging by the roadrash on your arm, I'll assume you were just wearing a t-shirt? If so, that's pretty squidtastic. Looks like you may have learned that the hard way.

You must really be pissing some people off. You will have had two 1000RR's, before some of the guys even get to see one. :D

Heal quickly bro, sounds like you'll be back out in no time.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Glad to hear you're ok but next time remember the corner. BTW a great intro to decent road riding is an article called "The Pace" I saw it on a Honda Safety site but it sums it all up when it comes to riding on the road.

As for the track, that's a completely different animal (-:

Hope the knee heals soon and take it easy on Black Beauty.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Having been in one crash where the helmet saved my life (endo onto my noggin and left elbow) and the jacket saved me from a broken elbow I fully endorse riding with gear whenever you ride. Better to spend the $ then end up like my buddy, 70mph worth of highway road rash.
Hope you have neosporin and asprin. Get back riding ASAP.
How many miles did you have?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Glad to here you're alright. It takes a man to say it was rider error. Also glad to here you're still gonna ride after that. Most guys just hang it up after a big off. Hope there was a lesson learned. But i'm really glad too see you're in "high" spirits. Keep the shiny side up bro. 8)

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
first I'm glad you are OK man, honestly. Riding in such large groups scares me, slower and fewer people is safest but I'm damn proud to see someone own up to their mistakes. Most guys online start blaming the bike (as in the recent "rear wheel locked up" example), kudos.

If you have access to that bike, I'd like to ask if you can pull anything off of it. When I pulled my rear cowl, I broke the connector to the tail/brake light. Not the one that runs to the light, but the one on the harness side. If you have any access to this I'd appreciate it greatly as I have it ziptied currently. If you can't get to it, thanks anyway and glad you are alright.

·
Registered
231 Posts
oh dude!! glad you're ok man... i once went hot into a blind corner and ended up breaking my arm. no road rash though coz i only ride in full leather even in 100 degree heat :) how you heal up real quick bro.

·
Registered
502 Posts
you should take this as a message to get a 600rr again. it seems a liter bike is a little bit too much for you to handle right now, and i would hate to see a fellow rider injure himself for being in over his head on a machine.

·
Sprung
1,001 Posts
The 600RR will go just as fast as the 1000 in this situation. I don't think switching to a smaller bike is going to help anything. He misjudged his corner entry speed. Everyone has done it at one time or another. Most of us get lucky. Ltc didn't. At least he was man enough to admit his error. Though I agree with most of the comments about gear. I wear my gear all the time also, at least boots, gloves, helmet and jacket. If it's too hot to wear them then it's too hot to ride.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I 'm glad to hear you are not seriously injured. Glad you wear a proper helmet. I have too agree with Iron Nutz where was the rest of the gear?!?!? Glad to hear you are also getting back in the saddle. Good Luck!!

NOW LETS ALL KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN!! PLEASE ALOT OF US DON'T HAVE OUR BIKES AND INSURANCE YET!!! :twak:

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the support guys.

Going back to a 600 is not the answer, as gRReg said, the problem was not with the bike, it was all about the speed I entered the corner (not to mention that I'm addicted to the 1000rr's torque). It's easy to jump to the conclusion like immortal that the 1000rr was too much for me to handle, and that a smaller bike would be a better choice, but this is incorrect. I would have been in the same predicament had I been on a 1000, 600 or 250 traveling at the same rate of speed.

I usually wear a jacket, but this sunday was unusually hot (93 deg), and I when I left the house I had no intention of riding hard - Got caught up in the moment - so the only safety equipment I was wearing was a Helmet, Boots and Gloves.

I knew when I posted this thread I would open myself up to people with less than supportive comments. If you can honestly tell me that you've ridden your enitre life without a single "oh shit" moment, then I commend you. Of course I have learned things from this wreck. Although I have been riding for over a decade, I have never thought nor pretended that I knew all there was about riding, as there is a lesson to be learned from each new situation.

My friends and I are in consensus, when we left that morning, I was one of the last people they expected to eat shit. This only goes to prove that if you get too complacent, too confident, it will come and bite you in the ass.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Riding twisty roads, I will say you are a complet fookin idiot if you aren't riding with full gear, period. That means armored pants, jacket, the works. No jacket man? That is very squid. Again, we're all glad that you are alright man.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I think he knows from now on to wear full gears when riding twisties... lets not be so hard on the guy. I agree with him though, it's not the bike's fault so riding a 600 in that condition he would have gotten into the same mess... your insurance rate is going to suck now though. mine doubled from just one solo crash :cry:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.