Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1261 - 1280 of 1319 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Thanks guys. These really are addictive. The on-tap power and handling is phenomenal. Fuel consumption at the mo similar to my 2018 in that light comes on at around 150 miles giving a tank range of 180 - 190 miles. Like the earlier bike, dash reads out a 'miles remaining.'

Also has a bonus with self-cancelling indicators - at last. Had me stuffed at first cos I kept thinking, 'Did I turn them off or not?':rolleyes:

Should have the pillion seat cover/cowl next week. Another weird hold up cos I was originally told would be ready to collect on March 20 - and that was pre-Covid! I am damn sure Honda sends container loads of parts with new bikes, so I am assuming that there has been so much rush and drama removing the bikes from storage that parts have taken a back seat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyway, among all this hype. I've been hunting for a deal of a left over 18-19 blade for track duty. It sounds like much of the strict electronics can now be flashed out, so I imagine it to be a great bike around many of the tighter tracks I ride... Have prodded a couple of dealers who have been unwilling to move on prices. But judging by the amount of supply out there, I think being patient will pay off.

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Most should be willing to sell for under $10,000 which is a very good deal. Not sure how much lower you would expect them to go.

As for tuning them, the bikes have been able to be fully optimized since August 2017.
I am amazed at how much bad press baggage the SC77 still carries around.

·
Registered
202 Posts
How can you review a fireblade without taking it to a track? seems crazy to me.
I don't need a track review, personally. I know its capabilities are beyond my abilities. All the media so far has focused on how it's more of a track bike than the predecessors.

I'll be riding it as a street bike 99% of the time, so I'm interested in hearing how it performs in that setting. Track is 90 minutes away, and honestly I'm not sure I want to track a $30k bike, even if that's the intended purpose. I'd use one of the $10k SC77s :p

·
Registered
512 Posts
How can you review a fireblade without taking it to a track? seems crazy to me.
Probably the same way one can review an Africa Twin without punching it across Dakar! :)

I'm with you @JA-SP . A track review would have made no difference to my purchasing intention also. And I shamefull concede the bike is far beyond my abilities, but to own and ride this flagship model is, for me, a great emotional high.

Our MCN (Motorcycle News) will this week publish a 250 mile test between the 2020 Blade and Ducati's V4S. I'll carefully scan it an paste it in the 2020 thread - duly acknowledging copyright of course!(y)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Probably the same way one can review an Africa Twin without punching it across Dakar! :)

I'm with you @JA-SP . A track review would have made no difference to my purchasing intention also. And I shamefull concede the bike is far beyond my abilities, but to own and ride this flagship model is, for me, a great emotional high.

Our MCN (Motorcycle News) will this week publish a 250 mile test between the 2020 Blade and Ducati's V4S. I'll carefully scan it an paste it in the 2020 thread - duly acknowledging copyright of course!(y)
To @buswedg credit, I understand it's aimed at the track and that's more of the bike's "home" and intended purpose than street use, but WSBK performance and the Qatar press event are enough to prove it's capable :)

My 600RR is beyond my abilities. I'm not ashamed! I'm willing to pay the premium for the flagship model, as you are, and I'll be babying it and protecting it as much as I can. The dime-a-dozen 600RR might get converted for track use, and it will still be beyond my abilities for a long time.

I'm looking forard to the MCN article. How are they regarded, as far as shilling and honesty? Sometimes I feel like I should have bought the Ducati, so I'm looking forward to the review! Honestly, I've been curious about the opinions of the members here that have been lucky enough to get one.

·
a d m i n
151,148 Posts
I agree wt you fellas, my SP is 95% street.
Oh a friend of mine bought a new Duc V4R last fall, a $47k nightmare, in the shop far more time than he’s been able to ride it. So happy I decided not to get the base V4.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I agree wt you fellas, my SP is 95% street.
Oh a friend of mine bought a new Duc V4R last fall, a $47k nightmare, in the shop far more time than he’s been able to ride it. So happy I decided not to get the base V4.
Part of the reason I've stuck with Honda and not gone Ducati is the reliability factor. Hondas have never left me stranded, and repairs have always been things that are inherent to ICE and generally regarded as maintenance.

Wasn't sure how much the Ducati unreliability is exaggerated.

·
a d m i n
151,148 Posts
I really do love the base V4, but it wouldn't be something I'd daily, like the SP.

Def. feel more confident with the Ducs over the KTM's, (really love that new '20 SuperDuke R), as KTM doesn't have a oem factory extended warranty here in the States, and dealing with KTMUSA is a fragile situation, at best. 2 years running the KTM 790/890 forum taught me a few bits.

·
Registered
476 Posts
My neighbor just braught a 2015 tri-color home.....if I had to upgrade from my 05 that would be at the top of my list. Love the look of the Ducati, but I'm having a hard time finding a reason to part with a bike I've invested a lot of time in and I'm real comfortable with. The only other bike that gets me thinking is the Aprilia RSV4....don't see much talk here about it????

·
Registered
512 Posts
. . . The only other bike that gets me thinking is the Aprilia RSV4....don't see much talk here about it????
I tried one before buying my 2018 Blade. Probably a very underrated bike, but a very cramped riding position in comparison.

Aprilia always offers value for money though. I did have an RSV1000RF for a while but sold it to buy a mint CBR954RR.

·
Registered
512 Posts
When you say cramped riding position.....how tall are you?
Five foot nine.

I should have elaborated. I guess 'cramped' is subjective, but when I compare with my comfortable 929 and 954 the bike is cramped. If comparing with the 2018 Blade it is still a bit tighter in the reach to the bars. Foot pegs, as I recall, were about the same.

Further, there are many including myself, who have commented about the 2020 (your 2021) Fireblade's ergonomics. When I sat on it at our show last November, I immediately felt how high the pegs were and the extra 30mm or so to the bars. Nevertheless, my love and devotion for the bike saw me still order one. On riding it now, it's not so much of an issue. True that we adapt to our environment - no matter the circumstances!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Part of the reason I've stuck with Honda and not gone Ducati is the reliability factor. Hondas have never left me stranded, and repairs have always been things that are inherent to ICE and generally regarded as maintenance.

Wasn't sure how much the Ducati unreliability is exaggerated.
At 14,000 miles my 1199 Panigale radiator developed a slow leak in the radiator at a welded seam. I was lucky, if you want to call it that, I was almost due for the “big” service and most of the labor would be done anyway. $700 for the new radiator.

At 21,000 miles the fork seals went south, in a big way. They went from no seeping at all to dripping on my garage floor. At 27,000 miles same thing. Somewhere in the middle of that I had to have the slave cylinder replaced.

Other than the radiator, these may not seem bad for a sport bike, but I’ve never had any of these problems on any other bike, even back when I was roadracing. I’m not a wheelie guy and do not abuse my bikes. I ride them fast, but not hard.

And my dealer told me recently that the service with valve check (every 15,000 miles) is now about $2,000. Three years ago it was $900 approx.

I loved the bike, but I’m not the normal rider. I remember asking my friend who owned the dealer during one of those problems if that was normal or what caused it. His response was “I don’t know, we never see a Ducati with that many miles on it”. That’s when I had half the miles on it than when I traded it the other day.

When I raced a 1981 750F in 1982, my first full season, I raced it ten days in sprint races, running three or four classes a day and I ran it in two four hour, one six hour, and one eight hour endurance race. Literally nothing needed attention the entire season. I just changed oil and tires and maybe plugs. With the help of a friend we rebuilt the engine at the end of the year - we found virtually no unusual wear.

1261 - 1280 of 1319 Posts