Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1281 - 1300 of 1319 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
. . . When I raced a 1981 750F in 1982, my first full season, I raced it ten days in sprint races, running three or four classes a day and I ran it in two four hour, one six hour, and one eight hour endurance race. Literally nothing needed attention the entire season. I just changed oil and tires and maybe plugs. With the help of a friend we rebuilt the engine at the end of the year - we found virtually no unusual wear.
Yep! Those were the days. Set the points, check tappets, change oil and filter. Job done.

None of this plugging into diagnostic terminals; pumping fluid through an ABS system for a three hour bleed; struggling to set the TFT dash with a larger manual than a 1980s video recorder; no struggling with CATS to change a can - we just drilled holes in the OEM or twisted the baffle out; AND none of this throttle-by-wire crap that makes it next to impossible to do a DIY quick action twist grip replacement.

BUT, we have some friggin' great bikes now!! :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's an awesome exhaust system, unfortunately everything is stacked against us in making a connection for a sale.

1. Nobody really races 11 year old CBR's now

2. Nobody really raced 11 year old CBR's when they were new because they are terrible race bikes
3. No racer ever has any money to spend on anything that costs more than about tree-fiddy
4. Every idiot with a keyboard will tell every other idiot that you NEVER need a full system on a streetbike so....
I race my 2008 :) and I’m looking for headers for my SC Project CR-T

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't need a track review, personally. I know its capabilities are beyond my abilities. All the media so far has focused on how it's more of a track bike than the predecessors.

I'll be riding it as a street bike 99% of the time, so I'm interested in hearing how it performs in that setting. Track is 90 minutes away, and honestly I'm not sure I want to track a $30k bike, even if that's the intended purpose. I'd use one of the $10k SC77s :p
Then why not buy a street bike? You'd have more fun on a SD1290, S1000R or something similar on the streets. And likely be much faster on the streets riding something like a S1000R versus a 1000rr-r too.

Not trying to tell you what to do, just trying to understand... I ride predominantly on the track, as the roads are rubbish around my area. But if I lived near the hills or mountains, I'd be getting something with more torque and low down pull... and secondarily, a more upright position.

And just as a FYI on my perspective- I was lucky enough to own both a RSV4 and SD1290 at one point in time. And I remember numerous times, walking to the garage with the RSV4 key in hand to go out to the hills for some riding with friends. Took one step out, and then one step back inside to get the SD1290 key. It was just that much better to ride. And it's really difficult to imagine riding a bike geared for the track faster on the streets... Now on the track, that was another story obviously. The RSV4 would be the better choice.

·
a d m i n
151,148 Posts
Then why not buy a street bike? You'd have more fun on a SD1290, S1000R or something similar on the streets. And likely be much faster on the streets riding something like a S1000R versus a 1000rr-r too.
It really doesn't matter, what you think you know, or if you spend more time on the track.

People buy what they like, an ass for every seat, and all that. What's right for you, isn't necessarily right for them.

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts

Not trying to tell you what to do, just trying to understand... I ride predominantly on the track, as the roads are rubbish around my area. But if I lived near the hills or mountains, I'd be getting something with more torque and low down pull... and secondarily, a more upright position.

And just as a FYI on my perspective- I was lucky enough to own both a RSV4 and SD1290 at one point in time. And I remember numerous times, walking to the garage with the RSV4 key in hand to go out to the hills for some riding with friends. Took one step out, and then one step back inside to get the SD1290 key. It was just that much better to ride. And it's really difficult to imagine riding a bike geared for the track faster on the streets... Now on the track, that was another story obviously. The RSV4 would be the better choice.
I think the flaw in your logic is that people intend to try be "fast" on the street.

Just enjoying the bike you are riding is as much a part of the experience as the ride itself.

And to be honest I have tried naked bikes on the streets and I hated every second of sit-up-and-beg wind on my chest helmet buffeting in the air stream riding.

Reminds me of 80's UJMs. I hated every mile on the Yamaha XS1100 I rode for a few months. When I got my FJ1100 back, all was good in the world again (y)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Interesting discussion and perspectives.(y)

I am firmly fixed in the buy and ride what you like rather than what you need camp. Motorcycling as a hobby/pastime is a truly emotional experience and therefore will have far different stimulators within our 'brotherhood'. What might be practical for some will be shunned by others, yet we all return home from our ride busting for the next one.:love:

·
Registered
202 Posts

For the same reason people buy big-ass trucks but keep them immaculate for their grocery runs or people buy supercars then either never drive them or never take them to the track. It's what I want :)

I want a flagship bike that looks good, is reliable, has all the latest tech, and has more power than I'll ever take full advantage of. Bonus points: I'll be the only one in my state (and a couple surrounding ones) with one of these for at least a year.

·
Registered
509 Posts
. . . Bonus points: I'll be the only one in my state (and a couple surrounding ones) with one of these for at least a year.
Yes, there is that. And it might be longer than a year. They're not exactly flying out of dealers here! (UK)

·
Registered
90 Posts

I have been fortunate enough to own three bikes at the same time for several years. I’ve owned several of the bikes mentioned while owning the Panigale also. I had an S1000R, Superduke GT (and put many miles on my friends Superduke R), two Ninja 1000SX, FJR1300, two 1600GTs....

While you are right that the other bikes are better street bikes than a SuperSport, I liked my Panigale enough to put 8,000 miles on it the last 12 months I owned it, and never regretted taking it out instead of one of the others. And even though I’ve ridden my new CBR three times in the past six days, I still had to force myself to ride one of the other ones this morning.

I will say this though, if I could only own one bike and did not take long trips, it would be the S1000R. It was the one bike that the performance felt VERY close to the 1199 Panigale, and 300-400 mile days were a piece of cake. The only other bike that probably fits that bill is a Tuono. But their dealer network in Houston has been terrible so I never got serious about it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
For the same reason people buy big-ass trucks but keep them immaculate for their grocery runs or people buy supercars then either never drive them or never take them to the track. It's what I want :)

I want a flagship bike that looks good, is reliable, has all the latest tech, and has more power than I'll ever take full advantage of. Bonus points: I'll be the only one in my state (and a couple surrounding ones) with one of these for at least a year.
Well said.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i swapped fuses for all new ones 3 of 6 were popped and flushed engine coolant and put brand new in, bike runs 20 degrees cooler

·
Registered
90 Posts
So it wasn’t today (worked on the Ninja1000SX today), but in the last couple of days I changed the oil on the CBR, hard wired and mounted a radar detector and put on a Kaoko throttle lock.

·
a d m i n
151,148 Posts
Think you've also worked your ass off manipulating your post count!:eek:

151,055? Bah! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Haa! My racing number was 151.. I don’t talk much tech, but I ride hard on Sundays.

Unless every time he moves or archives blocks of posts they all get added to his tally LOL
Just changed it for fun, as stated above. You can see my true post count/or anyone’s, by simply clicking on their profile, and viewing, “replies”

·
Registered
232 Posts
Goodrich SS lines, SATO Racing rearsets, engine cover sliders, and tow hooks.

Still in disbelief that many $17K+ bikes come with out SS lines. Used to Triumphs, LOL.

Reactions: J D

·
a d m i n
151,148 Posts
Goodrich SS lines, SATO Racing rearsets, engine cover sliders, and tow hooks.

Still in disbelief that many $17K+ bikes come with out SS lines. Used to Triumphs, LOL.
Can you show me the part #/screen shot of those brake lines? My next mod.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Can you show me the part #/screen shot of those brake lines? My next mod.

Sure: ABS BRAKE HOSE KIT FOR HONDA CBR1000RR/SP/SP2 FIREBLADE 17-18

For whatever reason, I was not able to find anything in the US, for the ABS model. Maybe because my search skills suck, LOL. So I got them directly from Goodrich. They fit as expected - I will guess the disclaimer might not fit non EU models is just that.

Price is "OUCH" so I did not do the rear. Rarely used anyway.

Reactions: nigelrb and J D

·
Registered
232 Posts
PS.:
You will need a longer bolt to attach the distro block on the front fender, as the one the lines come with is thicker. No idea how Goodrich missed that... or maybe they forgot to include one with mine. The stock will be short now.

Reactions: J D
1281 - 1300 of 1319 Posts