Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1221 - 1240 of 1256 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
My first Clay Bar, followed by Polish, then Wax. Not too shabby.
I'm too nervous to use those. Big fear of stuffing something up or creating major swirls. Guess I should do more research because yours does look great!

·
Super-Moderator
537 Posts
I'm too nervous to use those. Big fear of stuffing something up or creating major swirls. Guess I should do more research because yours does look great!
I watched a viddy on YT of a fella doing his V-fer. He seems super-particular. Apparently clay bar is something you do once, to remove contaminates from the paint.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Brought my bike home from my shop and the wife finally seen how much money I've spent on it lol she wasn't happy oh well 😬

·
Registered
414 Posts
Zaino is a well known brand of car care products. I just used their system on my Corvette. Wash, clay bar and polish. Turned out nice. Don't see why a clay bar should be a problem on a bike.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Just not sure how Zaino would handle un-clearcoated decals.
Do they have products to specifically address decals?
You asking about clay bar or rubbing compound on the decals or an actual coating like wax or ceramic over them?

Clay bar does nothing but pull mineral deposits,soap build up, contaminants from the paint so when applying a coating such as wax or ceramic it gets a good bond. It wont hurt decals, could possibly lift an edge if you go crazy with the clay bar or apply too much pressure but in general you are safe.
Using a compound or polish actually removes defects such as scratches and swirl marks and is also safe for decals but I wouldn't focus on defect correction on a decal. You could melt or burn the decal or pull color from it if it doesn't have a protective clear layer.
Wax or ceramic coating both work perfectly well over vinyl decals. There are products specifically designed for vinyl but not used unless the entire surface is vinyl such as with vinyl wrapped vehicles.

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
Yeah I don't spit 'n polish enough to worry too much about it but never used anything other that Honda Spray polish after a ride.
I still have cans from when I stocked up in 2004 lol :ROFLMAO:

·
Super-Moderator
537 Posts
Tomorrow getting enough commercial grade Ceramic coating to do my SP twice. Pretty stoked at not having to wax it for a few years or more. :devilish:

I'll wash mine with a good wash/wax and after a ride if it's not too dirty I'll spray it with a ceramic spray detailer
Did you have yours' Ceramic coated?

·
Super-Moderator
537 Posts
No I just use the ceramic coating in a spray bottle from auto parts store
Ah, ok. I'm sure yours' is quality, but a lot of companies are now throwing around the 'Ceramic' name on all kinds of car care products.

Real Ceramic coating, (done correctly), is the only addition I've seen in well, forever, that wasn't some sort of new car after-sale/finance office gimmick, that actually does what it says.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I applied Geon Quarts to mine this spring. Wheels, windscreen, all painted fairings and all clear coated carbon fiber pieces.
I created a post on this site about it.

If you need any info about the process or have questions along the way I'd be happy to help out.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Is that good on the matte black ?
Nope. Unless you can find, which I have never seen but doesn't mean it doesn't exist, there is no coating for a Matt, flat, or semi gloss coating. There is a mat, flat, or semi gloss clearcoat but at that point you are repainting the bike and unless it needs repainted already isn't worth the effort

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Would "real" ceramic coating put a weird Haze or streaks in matte black ?
Yep. All protective coatings (wax, ceramic, graphine) that I have seen increase gloss which is not what you want on any low gloss (flat, mat, semi). Due to the flattening agent used to achieve the low gloss finish applying wax or ceramic will be difficult to apply evenly and defeat the point of the low gloss appearance.
I'd do a interwebs search for low gloss protective coatings but my guess is you won't find anything worth trying

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Tomorrow getting enough commercial grade Ceramic coating to do my SP twice. Pretty stoked at not having to wax it for a few years or more. :devilish:

Did you have yours' Ceramic coated?
Make sure you ceramic coat your helmet and visor as well. Makes cleaning off bug guts so much easier. To date I have not even 'washed' my bike. I use a spray bottle with water and a few drops of dawn dish soap. Spritz the fairings, wheels, helmet and wipe with a microfiber cloth. Good as new!

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
Ceramic coat, schmeramic coat...back in my day (after we got through walking uphill both ways to school through the snow!) we just used to use Rain-X on everything lol
Then again we also used Slick-50 engine treatment on anything with gears so don't take anything I say too seriously :ROFLMAO::LOL:.

1221 - 1240 of 1256 Posts