Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went looking at bikes yesterday. I kinda didn't like it when I was there, but when I got home I really wanted to go back for this brand new 2012 cbr1000. The salesman said, " i can cut you a great deal on one of these!" and he went off to a computer and came back and said he could do $12200, I think. The bike is brand new and only has one mile on it. It's red. Is this about right for a bike that is about to be 3 years old? How can I negotiate the price down? I did ask him if the price would go down if I waited a while longer and he said no. I've been around for negotiations with car dealers with my dad, and they never seem to be honest. I'm 20, so I was thinking maybe he just said that to get me to jump on the deal? I don't know. I really like the bike, I can afford it, and I would really like to get it, but I would probably want it more if I felt like I was getting a better deal. Also, he didn't say whether this was an out the door price or what fees would be added on. Thoughts?

·
Registered
23 Posts
If its been there for 2 years... good chance it will be there next month. Talk to a different salesman and make the offer you wanna start with. If its not what you want tell him you will wait 6 months until they want to be reasonable.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I'm certainly no expert, though that seems high for a New-Old-Stock CBR1K. You can expect the price quoted will have all the usual fees added, including sales tax.

In February of '12 when they first came out, my out-the-door cost was just under MSRP.

Have you looked at what insurance will cost?
It shocked the shit out of me, and I'm not a "youthful" rider.

·
Hook 'em!
2,559 Posts
You should easily be able to get it for less than $11,000 + TTL. Ask them up front what title and license (registration) is. Ask them if they charge any other fees. DESTINATION CHARGE is $310.00

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In February of '12 when they first came out, my out-the-door cost was just under MSRP.

Have you looked at what insurance will cost?
It shocked the shit out of me, and I'm not a "youthful" rider.

A '14 has an MSRP of $13,999. 3% sales tax and Honda's $310 destination charge, per their website, brings the cost of the bike OTD to $12,876. I think I'm gonna shop around a little bit and maybe stop in their again soon to see someone else. Oh yeah and I haven't looked at what insurance is going to cost, but I haven't had a ticket, ever, in 4 years of driving and no accidents that were my fault.

blkside, what is the offer do you think I should start with? When I did KBB last night it was only worth $9500, but I don't know if they considered a 2012 new or used; their website is confusing for motorcycles.

You snuck in on me Bevo as I was writing my post!

·
Hook 'em!
2,559 Posts
A '14 has an MSRP of $13,999. 3% sales tax and Honda's $310 destination charge, per their website, brings the cost of the bike OTD to $12,876. I think I'm gonna shop around a little bit and maybe stop in their again soon to see someone else. Oh yeah and I haven't looked at what insurance is going to cost, but I haven't had a ticket, ever, in 4 years of driving and no accidents that were my fault.

blkside, what is the offer do you think I should start with? When I did KBB last night it was only worth $9500, but I don't know if they considered a 2012 new or used; their website is confusing for motorcycles.

You snuck in on me Bevo as I was writing my post!
KBB and NADA is really for used bikes though one or both has the option to look up new bike prices

Insurance is going to be high as hell for a Superbike just because of your age, unless you pay cash for the bike and just get liability insurance

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
So I went looking at bikes yesterday. I kinda didn't like it when I was there, but when I got home I really wanted to go back for this brand new 2012 cbr1000. The salesman said, " i can cut you a great deal on one of these!" and he went off to a computer and came back and said he could do $12200, I think. The bike is brand new and only has one mile on it. It's red. Is this about right for a bike that is about to be 3 years old? How can I negotiate the price down? I did ask him if the price would go down if I waited a while longer and he said no. I've been around for negotiations with car dealers with my dad, and they never seem to be honest. I'm 20, so I was thinking maybe he just said that to get me to jump on the deal? I don't know. I really like the bike, I can afford it, and I would really like to get it, but I would probably want it more if I felt like I was getting a better deal. Also, he didn't say whether this was an out the door price or what fees would be added on. Thoughts?

Thats high bro. I'd pay 10000-10500 depending on color I wanted. Don't be afraid to check out of state also. I saved at least 1500 by crossing the state borderline.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Respect the Mantis!
4,908 Posts
The salesman said, " i can cut you a great deal on one of these!" and he went off to a computer and came back and said he could do $12200
Nah, he is trying to squeeze you.

These bikes are priced differently depending on your region.
What state are you in?

$11k OTD would be more reasonable for a leftover RED 2012.

I could see $12k OTD for a white/red/blue HRC model. Those seem to be a little higher.

Shop around, but the 2012's are almost all gone. Should be plenty of 2013's out there still.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
got my '13 in Feb for around 9999 OTD

·
Gravity Sucks
168 Posts
I got my '12 HRC pearl white in June brand new like the one you are talking about. It would have been 10,300 out the door but I rolled 1000 negative equity from my 600 making it 11,300 out the door. Negotiate it down. There's no way you should pay the same as one that's of the current model year

·
Banned
786 Posts
WOW! Where did you find that kind of deal? Was it recently, or when the '12s just came out?

Made a lot of friends who work at Honda Canada, as well with the local honda dealer near me. They have been very kind to me over the years.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Apparently kids hate them too because they keep wrecking them and getting them stolen :D
In the spring of '12, 2 friends had new CBR1k's... the three of us had all three color schemes offered.

By the end of the year I was the only one who still had one. My two friends' bikes were totaled by insurance.
One had a car pull out and cross three lanes, forcing him into the curb.
The other I don't have too many details on. My guess is he did something stupid.

So yea..... insurance companies can take a beating if they decide to insure these bikes.

I have been riding since ~1982 and have had one insurance claim.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Your best bet would be to get a personal loan for the bike if you can. The interest rate will be higher but, as was stated above, all you would need is liability (and passenger if you were going two up). That insurance savings alone would compensate for the higher interest rate.

As for the bike, This would be my order of importance:
1- check the insurance. You're gonna have to do it sooner or later so might as well start now. Something smaller than a litre bike might be more appealing to an insurance company with someone your age. (just a thought)
2- check to see if you can get a personal (or something similar) loan and then go shopping with cash. Cash still speaks especially when dealing with leftovers.
3- Shopping out of state (as mentioned above) is a good idea. The only problem with that is if you're buying a new bike, even if it's a leftover, you may have to sign all the paperwork in person. Just something to keep in mind.

Good luck. You're entering the best time of year to buy a bike. The riding season is entering the twilight for us guys up north. I can usually ride through Nov but it gets cold!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts