Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Ben Spies is beating everyone's ass with the new 750.

Just goes to show that a "600 on steroids" = a 750, can run with the best 1k's out on the track. Also, if you notice, Honda's not running any of the top riders in superstock - Zemke, B-Boz, Duhamel - whereas other manufacturers are.

·
Premium Member
14,388 Posts
spies is a very good rider but he got his ass handed to him at barber.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I read an article @ superbikeplanet.com (interview w/ Ben Spies) about the whole thing; what he was saying is that they try both the 750 and the 1k at each track and that they consider running whichever bike delivers better results. So was the case at Barber in qualifying at least - he had gotten the pole on a 750, beating out the R1s.
They thought the 750 would work better at Barber as it's a very abrasive track and it'd be a challenge to make the tires last the whole race. In the race however he got smoked.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Superstock Fireblades

Superbike was fine at Silverstone yet Superstocks were rubbish .
Most didappointing seeing as we don't have anyone on a Blade in Uk at present . Paul Young did some good qualifying but always crashed the thing ,now he's given up with it. The only other one was wrecked at Brands Hatch in the second round .
Now , we are finally out with ours at Brands Hatch (British Superbike round) next weekend but its hard to go forward with nothing to compare with .
If anyones interested ,I will post the result. Here's hoping !

·
Registered
26 Posts
hrvat2 said:
if you notice, Honda's not running any of the top riders in superstock - Zemke, B-Boz, Duhamel - whereas other manufacturers are.
I believe the new rules are: If a rider competes in Superbike or superstock, they cannot compete in the other.
This was the result of too many Superbike riders "saying" they were going to race superstock, but then ducking out last second. This all in an effort to get extra track time in.

·
SV Racer
0 Posts
fqnmax said:
I'm pretty sure Ben Spies is riding the GSXR1000 and he is in 6th place. Its the R1 & ZX that are beating the RR and its probably the rider.
Agreed. It is the rider, and Spies is riding the 1000 Gizzer, and is not leading the series.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Talked to Al Ludington this wek and asked his opinion of the situation. He says its the bikes extra heft. He said " Aaron(gobert) has been posting the highest trap speeds(so it's not horsepower) and the rules limit you to what you can take off the bike" Just some FYI. Was awful nice of Al to take some time to talk after the 2nd superbike race.(He was not really a happy camper)

·
Registered
738 Posts
Al is really cool...as usual. He let my son and I into Miguel's garage for some pics with his bike...then gave my boy some of their Woody stickers from their bikes...naturally, I scarfed them up from him...I had to bribe him with buying him this big spider-man with suction cups he's been wanting...lol!!!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I look at it this way, the rider has alot to do with it if not all of it. Gobert rides formula extreme on the 600rr with Zemke and Duhamel. Why is it that Zemke and Duhamel practically lap the guy? he's on an erion honda just like Zemke correct? Put Zemke or Duhamel on the 1kRR and put them in superstock... if they get whooped then I would say it's the bike.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Sub said:
I look at it this way, the rider has alot to do with it if not all of it. Gobert rides formula extreme on the 600rr with Zemke and Duhamel. Why is it that Zemke and Duhamel practically lap the guy? he's on an erion honda just like Zemke correct? Put Zemke or Duhamel on the 1kRR and put them in superstock... if they get whooped then I would say it's the bike.
The weight hurts, for sure. But i think that the rider is the biggest issue. As mentioned, Alex hasn't exactly set the world on fire.

The AMA has proposed lifting the rule preventing superbike riders in superstock for 2005, so we may find out. I don't think Honda will keep racing FX unless another factory gets involved, so we may see Miguel, Zemke, or Bostrom in SS.

·
Registered
65 Posts
S/bike riders in S/Stock

Paul Young (Australia) is a perfectly good British S/Bike rider who joined the Vitrans Team (Ten Kate tuned Hondas) He ran in Superstock earlier this year which resulted in crashing th 1000RR 3 times (injuring himself in the process ! ) On his return , the Blade is no longer out there which left just our Blade (rider has also sold his Blade through inferiority to GSXR when exiting corners -ie, not enough grunt ! )
Marty Coxhell (Aussie) runs the Vitrans Blade in S/Bike reasonably well whilst Youngy now sticks to the 600rr and goes well.
It ain't the riders ! We just HAVE to accept that the Blade hasn't got it -unless its tuned . Great bike ,but heavy and gutless out of corners !

·
Registered
526 Posts
Its not the rules limiting which races the manufacturers run in, its simply the $. I remember earlier before the season started that Honda had dropped superstock because they wanted to concentrate on superbike.
Thus superstock isnt getting all the trick parts or the best riders. I never expected them to do anything much this year becuase of it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Is Superstock different in USA ?

A previous thread says that Honda are holding back on "trick parts" for Superstock in order to keep the pressure on Superbike development.
Surely the whole object of Superstock is to keep to standard (apart from engine blueprint ). All thats allowed in Europe (and World) is removal of lights ,side stand ,exhaust and stock plastics and thats it !
Brake lines may be changed for braided plus pad material but nothing else on brakes or wheels though F.Fork internals and rear shock can be changed.
No "special or trick bits here" so there goes one excuse why the Blade is uselaess in Superstock. What others are left ?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.