Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any / all pros & cons for either, neither, or another Honda year for 1000rr?

Here are the two available bikes?

OPTION A:
$5,000
2007 Honda CBR 1000rr
25,000 miles
color: black

OPTION B:
$10,000
2017 Honda CBR 1000rr
22,000 miles
color: black

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000rr
868 Posts
I think you could find either for sightly more money and way less miles. I have a 2005 with 35,000 miles that runs great....but if I were buying a bike today, I would go for a 17+ with as low a miles as possible. These guys will run forever.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you could find either for sightly more money and way less miles. I have a 2005 with 35,000 miles that runs great....but if I were buying a bike today, I would go for a 17+ with as low a miles as possible. These guys will run forever.
Thanks for the FAST response, and for the info, mountain CBR !

You would go with 2017+ .... because... ? that's the year Honda CBRs starting being manufactured with ABS ?
Or, another reason, i.e. other technologies ?

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000rr
868 Posts
Mainly because they are lighter with more horsepower than previous years. Plus they look really cool. I'm not crazy about all the new technologies like ABS....I think some of the 17s were non ABS. There are products and services out there to alter the computers to suit your taste. The handling on the newer bikes should be awesome. I hope to upgrade newer someday....I'm just having a hard time parting with my 2005. Of course, your personal budget may dictate the final decision.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mainly because they are lighter with more horsepower than previous years. Plus they look really cool. I'm not crazy about all the new technologies like ABS....I think some of the 17s were non ABS. There are products and services out there to alter the computers to suit your taste. The handling on the newer bikes should be awesome. I hope to upgrade newer someday....I'm just having a hard time parting with my 2005. Of course, your personal budget may dictate the final decision.
Well, who doesn't like more horsepower!? (Thanks again for the prompt responses, mountain CBR!)

·
Registered
618 Posts
My vote is for 2017+. I was in the same situation a little over a year ago and I went for a brand new 2018. I now have 10k miles on it and could not be happier with the purchase.
Pro's of 2017:
  • lighter weight
  • more power and torque
  • better suspension/better handling
  • TFT dashboard with adjustable engine braking, traction control, etc.
  • lap timer with logging of top speed, max lean angle, etc.
  • optional quickshifter for clutchless shifts up and down
  • stock titanium exhaust (Skip to 10:50 mark of this video and hear for yourself:
  • The list goes on and on

Pro's of 2005:
  • Cheaper
  • Old school raw riding experience, no rider aids.

·
Classifieds SMod
764 Posts
In the long term, $5k difference is negligible compared to what you will spend on tires, maintenance, upgrades, insurance, etc. I would go for the 2017.

About the ABS. Honda added it in 2009, not 2017. Not everyone likes how the system feels so would strongly recommend you test ride the bike before investing in ABS model.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Option A. It's half the price and basically same mileage. To put in perspective I paid $12k for my '17 in 2017. $10k for used is great for the seller but a bit high for the buyer. Obviously this market is over inflated but I think the older one is a good deal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My vote is for 2017+. I was in the same situation a little over a year ago and I went for a brand new 2018. I now have 10k miles on it and could not be happier with the purchase.
Pro's of 2017:
  • lighter weight
  • more power and torque
  • better suspension/better handling
  • TFT dashboard with adjustable engine braking, traction control, etc.
  • lap timer with logging of top speed, max lean angle, etc.
  • optional quickshifter for clutchless shifts up and down
  • stock titanium exhaust (Skip to 10:50 mark of this video and hear for yourself:
  • The list goes on and on

Pro's of 2005:
  • Cheaper
  • Old school raw riding experience, no rider aids.
I appreciate the weigh-in, @HP17 , for the comparison points, and for that sick video! (The 10:50 mark is good example of how quick these bikes are!)

(Now that your 2018 has had a chance to break in, why not sell it, and upgrade to a 2021 or 2022 ?)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In the long term, $5k difference is negligible compared to what you will spend on tires, maintenance, upgrades, insurance, etc. I would go for the 2017.

About the ABS. Honda added it in 2009, not 2017. Not everyone likes how the system feels so would strongly recommend you test ride the bike before investing in ABS model.
Long term is indeed what was in mind when prospecting a motorcycle. (I never thought I'd sell my 2003 954rr, but circumstances come along that we don't expect.) The $5k difference likely should be spent on the newer bike... but, maybe not, this particular bike. As to @mountain CBR 's point, in the south Florida market, I believe a deal could be found for less miles and less money, ...maybe. (probably.)
The extra suggestion and info on the ABS is greatly appreciated, @09_Blade . I agree that an ABS equipped bike should be test driven prior to making a decision of ABS vs non-ABS.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Option A. It's half the price and basically same mileage. To put in perspective I paid $12k for my '17 in 2017. $10k for used is great for the seller but a bit high for the buyer. Obviously this market is over inflated but I think the older one is a good deal.
Thanks, @child_of_fire ... I agree, the temptation is certainly there for option A, the cheaper choice, at half the cost..... put in another perspective, one could buy two (2) of these $5k bikes for the same price as the other one, but that's difficult to argue because there's TONS of differences in the ten year span between the '07 and '17. Another way to look at it, to support your vote, is ... you get a (decent) bike, i.e. '07, and you still keep $5,000 in your pocket. So, if the goal is to merely own a bike, and if money is a deciding factor, the cheaper '07 bike for $5k seems to be the economical choice. (If one does not consider the plethora of valid points that @09_Blade brought to light, above. i.e. inevitable money spent on tires, maintenance, upgrades, insurance, etc. .. but, hey, isn't that same money going to be spent on a bike regardless if it's an '07 versus a '17 ? How much does the insurance really drop for a ten year newer bike? And, upgrades? Upgrades are for competent handy people with money, lol.... jokes aside, I never did any upgrades to my 2003 954rr, mainly because I don't know how nor what upgrade(s) to consider.) Anyway, @09_Blade and @child_of_fire have both helped me think of the situation from different perspectives; thanks to you, both!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey, @child_of_fire , an update to the negotiation.... the 2007 seller has agreed to drop the price a little more $4,800... does that do anything to your opinion on which to buy, or, does this update only solidify your original stance?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Personaly I would keep looking.
Both of those options are fairly high mileage imo.
20k+ miles dosent mean there necessarily gonna break down catastrophically or anything but.. it's not like there aren't other bikes out there with less miles for similar price ranges so why get higher mileage unnecessarily?
It may take longer to find the more ideal bike though.
I just bought my current cbr, I had a list of criteria I was looking for in my purchase.
For me:
It had to be a cbr1000rr
Cost - Regardless of the bike I knew the absolute most I was willing to spend
Mileage - It had to be under 10k miles (mine ended up having 2500 miles)
Year - I was looking for a 2014, 2015 or 2016
Options - I didn't want ABS or riders aides etc
There were others, but you get the idea.
My point is I would suggest knowing what you want and not settling for less. make a list and stick to it.
Use resources like Cycle Trader. You can set it up with a saved search of the bike type and criteria your looking for and have it notify you whenever a bike that fits your criteria gets listed. I did this, although in the end I bought my bike off of Facebook Marketplace.
Good Luck

Reactions: Rpowers226

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Personaly I would keep looking.
Both of those options are fairly high mileage imo.
20k+ miles dosent mean there necessarily gonna break down catastrophically or anything but.. it's not like there aren't other bikes out there with less miles for similar price ranges so why get higher mileage unnecessarily?
It may take longer to find the more ideal bike though.
I just bought my current cbr, I had a list of criteria I was looking for in my purchase.
For me:
It had to be a cbr1000rr
Cost - Regardless of the bike I knew the absolute most I was willing to spend
Mileage - It had to be under 10k miles (mine ended up having 2500 miles)
Year - I was looking for a 2014, 2015 or 2016
Options - I didn't want ABS or riders aides etc
There were others, but you get the idea.
My point is I would suggest knowing what you want and not settling for less. make a list and stick to it.
Use resources like Cycle Trader. You can set it up with a saved search of the bike type and criteria your looking for and have it notify you whenever a bike that fits your criteria gets listed. I did this, although in the end I bought my bike off of Facebook Marketplace.
Good Luck
This is great info, @Fulkrum ! These two options, yes, are the very first search results of what is available right now. So, yes, I could invest a lot more into a timeline and likely find a better deal, i.e. lower price with lower miles. On a side note, does it make a difference that option A, the cheaper of the 2 bikes, the owner just agreed to lower the price to $4,800? Does that make the deal more viable, or no, and just keep looking for a bike with lower miles?
I would love to make a (bottom line) list of what I want... but..... and I hate to admit this, I do not have the experience nor the knowledge to even make a list of desired options / features, because I don't know anything aside from my bare bones 2003 954rr. For example, I get the ABS feature vs not, but what other "rider aides" would someone NOT want and would want to avoid? And which rider aides are absolutely crucial versus rider aides that are nice to have but not mandatory, etc.?

·
Registered
98 Posts
does it make a difference that option A, the cheaper of the 2 bikes, the owner just agreed to lower the price to $4,800? Does that make the deal more viable, or no,
For me, no. I wouldn't buy either of those bikes based on the millage. Again not because the millage is a damming factor, but because in my mind theres no reason to accept higher millage when theres so many bikes out there with lower millage.
ABS feature vs not, but what other "rider aides" would someone NOT want and would want to avoid?
This is a personal choice really. I do all my own work on my bikes so didn't want things that could potentially make that harder i.e. ABS or more complex computers. This is why for me my criteria was 2014, 2015, 2016 years. Yes some of the features on newer bikes are awsome, but I was willing to sacrifice them for a slightly less complex machine.
"Engine power, engine braking, traction control, wheelie control and suspension modes can be altered on the fly." etc. etc.. these are all awsome features but I'm not racing anyone, certainly not competitively lol. My past cbr's never had them and I never felt the lack so I was willing to sacrifice the potential in part to go with what I know, in part to have a less complex potentially easier to work on machine overall and in part for cost.
And which rider aides are absolutely crucial versus rider aides that are nice to have but not mandatory
People have been riding motorcycles for 150 years give or take most of that without riders aides. CBR's have been in production for 20 years give or take again most of that without riders aides. I'm not sure any are crucial for street riding.
These are my opinions, some/all of which are almost assuredly wrong or misguided vs other peoples opinions.
In the end it's what you like, your opinion that matters for your bike choice.

Reactions: rule62

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000rr
868 Posts
I like how Fulkrum thinks...(y)
But I haven't heard the word condition mentioned in this conversation. I think condition should always be a factor in buying any vehicle. I also don't think I would ever buy a vehicle without seeing it in person. So, balancing condition and mileage together is important. I have to be honest, you can't go wrong with any 04+ CBR1000rr with the right condition and mileage for the right price. Sometimes it's worth being a little patient to find the right bike.
Colorfulness Azure Purple Violet Magenta

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just curious why are you selling?
Well, I have 2 more bikes. Several other reasons.. space, time, not enough riding, and above all, the Local Track pretty much only has about 5 events this year as they stopped doing their own track days. And with NOLA weather, that is like 2-3 because it is a good change it rains on a track day... LOL.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Note to self, don't move to NOLA ;).

2.5k miles isn't much so yeah makes sense. Should be an easy sale.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts